Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from CA to Honolulu

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the process of relocating to Honolulu over the next 60 days. During my first year in Honolulu I plan to rent, but I'm finding it difficult to find any apartment complex in the area that has EV Charging stations. I dropped by a newer complex today and the leasing agent, who was quite rude but that is another story, stated that I'll not any apartments with charging stations. I wouldn't be as concerned if the supercharger was already built., but since it is not, it seems to leave me without many options. Do any of you have any leads on an apartment complex that has EV Charging stations? Any other recommendations?

Much appreciated!

I assume your relocation is for work. If so, what about your employer? If they are paying you to relocate, they can make a 120v outlet available to you.

If you are relocating for pleasure/retirement, then I recommend you sell what you have here and then go back to EV when the environment is better for it in the future. jmho

Reactions: Don TLR and P85_DA
Most of the older apartment/condo buildings won't have any chargers. The newer condos in the Kakaako area have chargers but rents are $$$. But there are public chargers all over the place since it's the law that any public parking lot with over 100 stalls has to have at least one charger. With that said, they are often leaf'd :(

There are owners here who don't have charging access and have made use of the public chargers for years, but they typically don't drive very far for work so charging once or twice week isn't an issue. Superchargers are coming this year (supposedly). One planned for in town and one in Kailua.

Reactions: Akikiki
There are lots of public, free options, but as noted above, they're often full. There's a pretty good concentration of stalls in the Kakaako area, and the SC is pretty good about letting you use their 4 HPWC stalls when they're open.

I can't recall if the law passed that requires AOAOs to make accomodations for EV chargers for condo owners to charge in their garages (at the owners' cost to install/maintain).

There are lots of public, free options, but as noted above, they're often full. There's a pretty good concentration of stalls in the Kakaako area, and the SC is pretty good about letting you use their 4 HPWC stalls when they're open.

I can't recall if the law passed that requires AOAOs to make accomodations for EV chargers for condo owners to charge in their garages (at the owners' cost to install/maintain).

I think the law states that they can't deny a request for chargers but that doesn't mean they get put in if it's cost prohibitive.

Thanks to all of you for responding. I'm hoping the supercharger is quickly built. I may also try to find a small home to rent with a garage so I can at least plug in to 120V

Also, not sure what kind of work you do, but there may be chargers at your workplace too. May not be free, but at least an option.

One last plug..if you're here this weekend, join us for the Tesla Hawaii Club meet-up on Saturday, August 11. PM me for details if you're interested. You'll be able to get feedback from owners here in person.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Also, not sure what kind of work you do, but there may be chargers at your workplace too. May not be free, but at least an option.

One last plug..if you're here this weekend, join us for the Tesla Hawaii Club meet-up on Saturday, August 11. PM me for details if you're interested. You'll be able to get feedback from owners here in person.
As Nanimac says, there are increasingly more places to plug in to at the workplace. I currently work at the International MarketPlace in Waikiki and there are many free charging stalls (via ChargePoint).

I'm in the process of relocating to Honolulu over the next 60 days. During my first year in Honolulu I plan to rent, but I'm finding it difficult to find any apartment complex in the area that has EV Charging stations. I dropped by a newer complex today and the leasing agent, who was quite rude but that is another story, stated that I'll not any apartments with charging stations. I wouldn't be as concerned if the supercharger was already built., but since it is not, it seems to leave me without many options. Do any of you have any leads on an apartment complex that has EV Charging stations? Any other recommendations?

Much appreciated!

Much appreciated!
I have a condo for sale that has a 20 amp Tesla charging station installed in one of the two assigned parking stalls. Here is the listing: http://tinyurl.com/yd6n2raq.

Reactions: Akikiki