Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from California back to Toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I am new to TMC. I am planning to move from California back to Toronto in June 2021. I have tried to search this forum for past threads on this topic, and found only one post in the Model X section. Sorry if this is a duplicate ask. I have a 2020 Model Y LR/AWD. I like to get more information on anyone with experience shipping vs driving the Model Y back. thanks.

Driving it back is your best bet. I moved back to Ontario from Virginia and I drove my BMW back. Told them I was moving back and that my other personal possessions were to follow. Your allowed one car to claim tax free. Filled out one form and then had to get it inspected for compliance etc.

Welcome Back To Canada!

The following link has the Border Service Call centre to,answer your questions.
Importing a Motor Vehicle into Canada

Personally, I would Drive across the USA and enjoy the various US states

total driving distance is 2,634 miles
driving time of 38 hours, 23 minutes

San Francisco/LA to Reno
Reno to Elko )overnight)
Elmo to Salt Lake City (overnight)
Salt Lake to Cheyenne
Cheyenne to North Platte (overnight)
North Platte to Des Moines (overnight)
Des Moines to Chicago ( overnight)
Chicago to Detroit (overnight)
Detroit to Toronto

Reactions: N1L CO2
Everyone is moving out of California.

Been toying with leaving California myself and moving to Vancouver. Never lived in Canada, but have been there many times. I do have citizenship, but no CDN passport. BTW getting citizenship was relatively easy, but a passport, that's a hard one.

The USD is worth so much in Canada right now.

Welcome Back To Canada!

The following link has the Border Service Call centre to,answer your questions.
Importing a Motor Vehicle into Canada

Personally, I would Drive across the USA and enjoy the various US states

total driving distance is 2,634 miles
driving time of 38 hours, 23 minutes

San Francisco/LA to Reno
Reno to Elko )overnight)
Elmo to Salt Lake City (overnight)
Salt Lake to Cheyenne
Cheyenne to North Platte (overnight)
North Platte to Des Moines (overnight)
Des Moines to Chicago ( overnight)
Chicago to Detroit (overnight)
Detroit to Toronto
Thanks Blu Angel. I am thinking of driving via Vancouver, then to Toronto to explore the rockies.

Driving it back is your best bet. I moved back to Ontario from Virginia and I drove my BMW back. Told them I was moving back and that my other personal possessions were to follow. Your allowed one car to claim tax free. Filled out one form and then had to get it inspected for compliance etc.

Check with CBSA but I do not believe this is correct. I believe that if you are a Canadian Citizen returning to Canada after a minimum absence of 1 year, you are entitled to a $10,000CAD exemption on the total value of all the goods (including any car) you are returning with. If you brought items with you from Canada to the US when you originally moved to the US, those are exempt BUT you need to have a list that you have stamped at the border when you originally left Canada. Anything above the $10k CAD is subject to taxes and duty at the regular rate. For expensive items, it's usually worth getting an appraisal before crossing as CBSA is sometimes pretty generous of the value they assess items (But I believe you might be able to get an appraisal done after the fact).

• Helpful
Reactions: meh_
Thanks Blu Angel. I am thinking of driving via Vancouver, then to Toronto to explore the rockies.

If you go thru this route, be aware that at this time of the year it'd be very snowy and icy thru Albert and a few more provinces. Most of those super chargers cross Canada are up further in North. If the weather and road conditions become a main concern, you might be better off to stay in the States (more South) then come up via Michigan or IL to cross the border.

If you go thru this route, be aware that at this time of the year it'd be very snowy and icy thru Albert and a few more provinces. Most of those super chargers cross Canada are up further in North. If the weather and road conditions become a main concern, you might be better off to stay in the States (more South) then come up via Michigan or IL to cross the border.
JBauer - I am thinking of the drive back sometime in June. I agree it will be too snowy in the winter. thanks