Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from LR RWD to Stealth Performance - First track experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently traded in my 2018 LR RWD Tesla Model 3 for a 2019 Stealth Performance version. This was my first time on track in a Performance and my first time trying Track Mode. I tried a few different settings on Track Mode, but need to spend more time with it.
I took it relatively easy to get a feel for the car, but I was hoping to be a bit faster. My best lap of the day was 2:02.7. The key difference I found was that I'm not yet comfortable holding it flat in key zones where I could with the RWD. Specifically into bus stop, deeper into riverside, and coming out of the esses.
Still very fun for my first time. Can't wait to get back out to really send it. In general this car has the same mods as my RWD. I bought it used and the previous owner had installed the Eibach pro-kit (Springs and sways). I moved my MPP front rotors from my RWD over to this car, paired with some new Cobalt X2 front pads and RF650 fluid. I had pronounced pedal fade mid-way through the first session - I think it may have been an air pocket in the line as it did not happen again during the remaining three sessions. Overall the brakes felt solid.

Attachments

• Resized_20200319_202828.jpeg
    Resized_20200319_202828.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 141
Recently traded in my 2018 LR RWD Tesla Model 3 for a 2019 Stealth Performance version. This was my first time on track in a Performance and my first time trying Track Mode. I tried a few different settings on Track Mode, but need to spend more time with it.
I took it relatively easy to get a feel for the car, but I was hoping to be a bit faster. My best lap of the day was 2:02.7. The key difference I found was that I'm not yet comfortable holding it flat in key zones where I could with the RWD. Specifically into bus stop, deeper into riverside, and coming out of the esses.
Still very fun for my first time. Can't wait to get back out to really send it. In general this car has the same mods as my RWD. I bought it used and the previous owner had installed the Eibach pro-kit (Springs and sways). I moved my MPP front rotors from my RWD over to this car, paired with some new Cobalt X2 front pads and RF650 fluid. I had pronounced pedal fade mid-way through the first session - I think it may have been an air pocket in the line as it did not happen again during the remaining three sessions. Overall the brakes felt solid.

It was great to see you at Corsa again doing such fast laps. I was a bit wondering where the Kraken was, now I know you stepped up to the P3D-

I still find myself over braking, and trying to get comfortable with all the new adjustment I have. The next thing I want to do is ride passenger with you or someone with a moderately modified P3D. I know there is a lot on the table and I want to find more of it safely. I am able to run pretty consistently at 2:06 now on the Federal RSR 595.

Reactions: MoreAgain
It was great to see you at Corsa again doing such fast laps. I was a bit wondering where the Kraken was, now I know you stepped up to the P3D-

I still find myself over braking, and trying to get comfortable with all the new adjustment I have. The next thing I want to do is ride passenger with you or someone with a moderately modified P3D. I know there is a lot on the table and I want to find more of it safely. I am able to run pretty consistently at 2:06 now on the Federal RSR 595.
Finding the right braking points always takes me awhile too. I'd be happy to have you ride along next time we're at an event together.

Reactions: Vines
Great stuff!!

I am currently deciding between a LR and P. I think I am not nearly as pro as you are (but have a ton of sim racing experience).

Would you recommend going straight to the P or will the LR be enough as a beginner? I am planning maybe 2 - 3 trackdays a year (at top). Just to have some fun now and then with friends. But I hate many things on the P, for example the 20" wheels, which I would instantly switch out with 18" and the suspension. I planned to invest 3k in the suspension for the LR as it is 5k cheaper than the P and still save money.

I am not planning on doing crazy mods (except maybe upgrading pads and fluid) as it will be my daily driver and it should have still good range and comfort.

Will the LR survive this or do I need track mode with better cooling and stability control adjustments to have really fun and actually use it. And I heard of so many people, that the stock brakes cant handle the heat, but the stopping power is pretty much the same as the P brakes when cold.

Learn from everyone else. They get a LR and end up trading for a P. Have you driven a P? Ride is not great but it isn’t horrible.
Yes, I have driven one and it is ok. To be honest, the ride in a SR+ and LR is not really better. Its more cushy but also a bit "wobbly" if you understand what I mean. Coming from the Mini One (2010) from my gf, we are used to insane hard suspension. But such a hard suspension gets a bit annoying over the time and the LR would be more pleasing, but even my gf didnt like the cornering. She never drove the P, but I would put 18-19" on it and I think this would be comfortable enough after the experience with the Mini. I can still change the suspension if I want afterwards, but I can not change to track mode in a LR. 5k is still enough to think about it and maybe customize the LR a little bit more with the spared money.

I also expect to not becoming a racing driver. It is also pretty expensive to have a hobby such as racing and bad for the environment. So it should stay occasional or I want to do it in a way, where I do not have a lot of wear and tear.

@Flol The LR could be a great option for your purposes, especially since MPP has the PartyBox available for dual motors now. If you think you may be tempted to go to Performance later, though, you'd be better off to do it from the beginning.

If you haven't seen what a LR can do with a bit of mods and a solid driver - here's a sub-2:00 Buttonwillow run in one:

It makes no sense to buy a LR to upgrade. You will never be able to do what the performance model can do stock. Let’s not even get into the resale or warranty issues. Save up and buy the best, else you will be buying twice. The price difference between the 2 is $7k. Let me see what you can buy for $7k

1. Suspension $3k
2. Partybox $1k

After blowing half the money, is that enough to pass the performance? I am not sure.

It makes no sense to buy a LR to upgrade. You will never be able to do what the performance model can do stock. Let’s not even get into the resale or warranty issues. Save up and buy the best, else you will be buying twice. The price difference between the 2 is $7k. Let me see what you can buy for $7k

1. Suspension $3k
2. Partybox $1k

After blowing half the money, is that enough to pass the performance? I am not sure.
Yeah, I think it is more an option for those that already have the LR and decide they want to track. If you know going in that tracking is important to you go P from the beginning. Then you can mod to make it more comfortable on the street if that's also a priority.

@Flol The LR could be a great option for your purposes, especially since MPP has the PartyBox available for dual motors now. If you think you may be tempted to go to Performance later, though, you'd be better off to do it from the beginning.

If you haven't seen what a LR can do with a bit of mods and a solid driver - here's a sub-2:00 Buttonwillow run in one:

That is pretty impressive and I think I would never be there skill wise. I am not planning to do any mods, so the party box is no option for me. I would rather go straight to the P, but question is, do I need it?
1. Is the traction control in the LR so intrusive that it kills all the fun for a beginner?
2. Will the standard battery cooling without overclock mode of the track mode be anough for a 30 minute run (with cold laps in it)?
3. Will I miss something else on the track mode?
4. Will the suspension on the P make any difference for handling?

1. Suspension $3k
2. Partybox $1k

Yes, resale and warranty are the big points!!

Yeah, I think it is more an option for those that already have the LR and decide they want to track. If you know going in that tracking is important to you go P from the beginning. Then you can mod to make it more comfortable on the street if that's also a priority.

What would you say is a tracking usage where the LR is not enough and needs mods? I mean, what are the real limitations of a stock LR on track? How about the brakes?

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, at a bare minimum, the difference between track mode at -10 and track mode turned off was 2 sec + for me. I don't remember the exact figure, but it was over 2 seconds on a 3 mile course when I drove a lap with and without the track mode.

Reactions: Flol