Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from Mercedes E450 to Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Experts, please help me decide whether the Model S would be a good next car for me.

I currently lease a Mercedes E450 4Matic that is I plan to replace with a with a Model S LR when the lease ends in October. The web site is showing a Nov to Feb, 22 delivery date for Model S LR which works for me since I can buy the E450 and keep it for a few more months. The Tesla showroom nearby does not have a Model S on display and test drives seem to be unavailable.

The most important aspects for me are ride quality and noise. I would like the smoothest, quietest ride. Acceleration is not very important since 80% of my driving is on busy city roads of average quality. As reference, I previously owned a BMW 5 series and love the handling but hated the ride quality (too harsh even after switching to non-RF tires and lowering the tire pressure).

- How does the ride quality of the Model S compare with something like the Mercedes E450?
- How does the cabin noise (engine, tire, wind) of the Model S compare with the E450? I have heard Teslas have double laminated glass. Does this help with cabin noise.

Also, if I place an order in the next few days, what are the chances of getting it between Nov, 2021 and Feb, 2022? I.e. are their web site estimates generally accurate?

Should I lease of buy the car? I have typically changed my cars every 3 years.

I had an E39 S. The Tesla ride is much rougher, and I have the suspension set to the softest setting when driving locally. The noise is higher, particularly right side wind noise. The aluminum frame and tires do also transmit more road noise. I don't have the double glass, and that probably helps. Are these issues a problem? Not to me.

You need to be very flexible on delivery. What they advertise is rarely very accurate on delivery times. At this time, existing Teslas are worth a bunch of money, verses ordering and waiting -- much like many other cars, but Teslas are more valuable. If you lease, you cannot buy the car at lease end anymore. That means you should buy the car, and then you can do whatever you want with it when the time comes. My car has been without major problems, but the downloaded software about every two weeks reminds me of early Windows software updates. Things that used to work stop working, and new features are buggy. You must be flexible on parts of the infotainment system not working right for months. Hopefully this will get better as they implement better change control processes in their updates. Full Self Driving is a toy at this time. Don't bet your life on it.

There should be some Model S vehicles available for test drive by August. They were probably all recently sold due to end of quarter push. Test drive one for yourself to find out for sure.

I had an E39 S. The Tesla ride is much rougher, and I have the suspension set to the softest setting when driving locally. The noise is higher, particularly right side wind noise. The aluminum frame and tires do also transmit more road noise. I don't have the double glass, and that probably helps. Are these issues a problem? Not to me.

You need to be very flexible on delivery. What they advertise is rarely very accurate on delivery times. At this time, existing Teslas are worth a bunch of money, verses ordering and waiting -- much like many other cars, but Teslas are more valuable. If you lease, you cannot buy the car at lease end anymore. That means you should buy the car, and then you can do whatever you want with it when the time comes. My car has been without major problems, but the downloaded software about every two weeks reminds me of early Windows software updates. Things that used to work stop working, and new features are buggy. You must be flexible on parts of the infotainment system not working right for months. Hopefully this will get better as they implement better change control processes in their updates. Full Self Driving is a toy at this time. Don't bet your life on it.

I understand there is a dramatic difference in the ride quality and noise in the new refresh model s, as opposed to the 2020 that you drive. Can anyone comment on that? I'm interested myself.

I have the refresh Model S. The comments about ride comfort are above are still spot on. It is not a cushy ride, even in "Comfort." The acceleration, tech and handling are the key advantages. You have to put up with the glitches and upgrade process. The hassle is worth it, as the car becomes more capable over time.

If comfort is your focus, the Lucid or Mercedes electrics may be a better option.

If ride and cabin noise are your major concerns. Mercedes is your choice. The Tesla model S partition to the trunk are just a couple of removable boards. The backseats fold down to the trunk are secured when upright, by a some times rattling hook assembly also. The normal ride height is low, so need to adjust ride height on high ramps.

Just a correction in my post, I had a Mercedes E63 S. I also had a BMW E39 M5. I confused the models. In any event, my comments apply to either BMW or Mercedes as being more quiet and a more sophisticated ride.
Maybe its because your S is a pre-refresh. I had a W212 E63S and now have a refreshed MSLR. The MSLR feels like a sofa compared to the E63S -- way more plush and compliant. I'm on 21"s as well.

Reactions: SO16
Just a correction in my post, I had a Mercedes E63 S. I also had a BMW E39 M5. I confused the models. In any event, my comments apply to either BMW or Mercedes as being more quiet and a more sophisticated ride.
Tesla is a hands down looser when it is compared with MBZ for build quality and comfort. If autopilot and speed is not a priority, stay with MBZ. It is hard to beat a German car for driving experience. My MS LR has cracking sound coming from somewhere since day one. I have same issue with my wife's Model 3 and SC said they found the cause and fixed it but the noise never went away.

I have the refresh Model S. The comments about ride comfort are above are still spot on. It is not a cushy ride, even in "Comfort." The acceleration, tech and handling are the key advantages. You have to put up with the glitches and upgrade process. The hassle is worth it, as the car becomes more capable over time.

If comfort is your focus, the Lucid or Mercedes electrics may be a better option.
I went to the Lucid show room to look at one a couple days ago. The truck is very low and small. You have to use the "well" if you need to put a cooler in. The interior can match a MBZ or BMW. I also walked by a Tesla showroom, sadly it is empty. No cars to show. I am puzzled why they maintain a showroom with no car to show. They do have some model cars with different colors. So pathetic.

I went to the Lucid show room to look at one a couple days ago. The truck is very low and small. You have to use the "well" if you need to put a cooler in. The interior can match a MBZ or BMW. I also walked by a Tesla showroom, sadly it is empty. No cars to show. I am puzzled why they maintain a showroom with no car to show. They do have some model cars with different colors. So pathetic.
Often Tesla showroom cars are sold by end of quarter. Will be replenished in a few weeks.

Depending on how much long distance travel/range you need, it doesn't seem like the MS is a good car for you. Tesla has range and charging network, acceleration, and infotainment down perfectly. If you don't care about those things and want the least road noise, best build quality, and and smoothest ride, you should look at a Taycan or an EQS. I'm sure EQS is a smoother ride than my Taycan, but I have no complaints on the ride and am not a big fan of the looks of the EQS.