Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from my CarPlay car to new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expecting my new Model 3 soon and while driving to work, realized how much I have come to appreciate Apple CarPlay in my BMW (and past cars). I'm sure AndroidAuto users can relate. The things I've come to appreciate:
  1. Can open Garage door from CarPlay... no HomeLink required... even based on location.
  2. Instantly shows iCal alerts for meetings and calls and can tap right into them (including WebEx, etc)
  3. Siri Eyes Free right from the steering wheel.
  4. Displays (and reads out) messages and voicemail and allows me too safely reply.
  5. iCal meetings pop up and navigation available right from the alert.
  6. Access to all personal, shared, and subscribed calendars (and alerts).
So, exactly what iPhone features integrate with Tesla and have there been incremental improvements?

Reactions: cwerdna and malou
This is the one, the single thing I wish they would change most. Tesla tries and I get why they want to control the interface, but it's so jarring going from a CarPlay vehicle to my TM3. Tesla has done an admirable job with their interface and I think it's the best non-mobile-remote-display vehicular entertainment system out there, but dammit Tesla, please support CP and AA! Here are the answers to your question but in summary...you are going to miss CarPlay terrible (I do)....

Can open Garage door from CarPlay... no HomeLink required... even based on location.
I'm not sure what app you are using to make that happen, but CarPlay does not natively support that that I'm aware. The right answer here is HomeLink, but I also have Smartthings which can do this via a web browser interface (without the automation)

Instantly shows iCal alerts for meetings and calls and can tap right into them (including WebEx, etc)
Tesla has a calendar, but you can forget about alerts, snoozing, and auto-join. If the invite has a clickable link in the invite, there is a possibility you can manually open the calendar app and press the join link.

Siri Eyes Free right from the steering wheel.
Tesla has voice command right from the steering wheel, but it's not Siri. I'll give Tesla props over CP in one area; Tesla's voice command can do car related things like set the temp, open glove box, open screens on display, etc.

Displays (and reads out) messages and voicemail and allows me too safely reply.
Text messages, yes...but alas without group messaging support. Group messages come in as a 1:1 from the person that sent them. Safely reply in the Tesla world requires at least two taps, unlike CarPlay which is totally voice prompted. I do like the ability to read the text message which CP doesn't allow.

iCal meetings pop up and navigation available right from the alert.
Again, no calendar popups but you can auto navigate to your next calendar appointment when you get in the car based on the next destination.

Access to all personal, shared, and subscribed calendars (and alerts).
Again, no calendar popups.

Add no third party GPS support like Waze, a podcast app (TuneIn) that loses your listening place which means listening to anything longer than your drive is worthless, Spotify app integration that lacks the actual Spotify development team (duh) in features.

It's frustrating to be sure but...dammit...the drive in my little TM3 performance is worth it.

I have a Chamberlain HomeKit compatible garage door hub. On the CarPlay screen, when I get close to home, the HomeKit icon for the door appears on the main screen showing the status... opened/close and you can tap to control it.

Even without CarPlay, BMW iPhone integration is pretty sharp. Contacts and calendars are all there and the built-in and navigation starts automatically native system. Probably the only real issue coming into the Model 3 I'm concerned with but I'll have to adapt. Heck, they don't even have to offer CarPlay... just improve iPhone integration and add Siri Eyes Free so I can access it from the wheel. In the BMW pressing voice button on wheel quickly accesses BMW voice assistant, while holding it down for a couple seconds prompts Siri.

Yea - you're going to miss CP. I came to my M3 after using AA for years on multiple cars and just like @jmaddr said above, although Tesla has THE best OEM interface on the market I still feel like they sorely need to integrate with AA and CP.

The one thing I will say is that you can set your homelink in the M3 to automatically open and close your garage door without you having to lift a finger. I've been doing that since day one on my car and it works great.

You'll learn to work with the Tesla interface and you'll enjoy it for what it is - however, it's going to be a let down from what you're used to. Just telling you like it is unfortunately.

Reactions: jmaddr and jmatero
....The one thing I will say is that you can set your homelink in the M3 to automatically open and close your garage door without you having to lift a finger. I've been doing that since day one on my car and it works great...
True but he/she can still use HomeKit sans Homelink without lifting a finger. Just has to say "Hey Siri open the garage door". Sure the geofencing Homelink is great but not a MUST have to open the door.

Tesla should focus their resources on building cars, improving build qualities and features.
But Phone integration better be left to companies that DO specialize in that aspect of things.
So yes, Tesla should really offer a Carplay option in my opinion!

Not happening.

They wouldn't have bothered writing their own text message handling code if they had any plans for CP/AA

Not to mention how integral nav (and eventually your synced-to-car calendar) is to some FSD features so they won't want you using 3rd party stuff for those either.

Expecting my new Model 3 soon and while driving to work, realized how much I have come to appreciate Apple CarPlay in my BMW (and past cars). I'm sure AndroidAuto users can relate. The things I've come to appreciate:
  1. Can open Garage door from CarPlay... no HomeLink required... even based on location.
  2. Instantly shows iCal alerts for meetings and calls and can tap right into them (including WebEx, etc)
  3. Siri Eyes Free right from the steering wheel.
  4. Displays (and reads out) messages and voicemail and allows me too safely reply.
  5. iCal meetings pop up and navigation available right from the alert.
  6. Access to all personal, shared, and subscribed calendars (and alerts).
So, exactly what iPhone features integrate with Tesla and have there been incremental improvements?
BMW now, and exactly what past cars?

This is the one, the single thing I wish they would change most. Tesla tries and I get why they want to control the interface, but it's so jarring going from a CarPlay vehicle to my TM3. Tesla has done an admirable job with their interface and I think it's the best non-mobile-remote-display vehicular entertainment system out there, but dammit Tesla, please support CP and AA! Here are the answers to your question but in summary...you are going to miss CarPlay terrible (I do)....

I'm not sure what app you are using to make that happen, but CarPlay does not natively support that that I'm aware. The right answer here is HomeLink, but I also have Smartthings which can do this via a web browser interface (without the automation)

So if you have a $40 HomeKit garage door opener (I have the Best Buy one, works a treat!) then all you need to do is say "Hey Siri, open garage door" and hey presto! I use it all the time and its sooo easy, no button pressing, just speak!

Yes.... I'm going to turn off CarPlay in the BMW today hoping it will make the transition easier. Well, good thing about Tesla is that they update so hopefully better iPhone integration in the future.
Our current car is also a BMW and I know I am going to miss the selection wheel on the armrest to flip between XM stations. I know there are controls on the steering wheel but for one handed driving The iConnect on the BMW is pretty slick.