Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving Seats Back in 5 Seater Config

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So had idea for when i get my Tesla Model X, 5 Seat Config.

What if I pushed and pulled out the 2nd row of Seats, push them back and reinstall them further back, in same position as third row of Seats in a 7 Seat Config would be Located.

Has that extra Space where I could fit them, and they could fold flat there.

Cool thing is that there would be this big gap in space between the Driver and passenger seats, kind of like a Limousine, which would make it perfect for Uber/Lyft.

And also had idea of ceiling mounting 40to50 inch TV, in Center area, in between Falcon Doors. Which would be great Size, viewing angle, and distance for watching media from those seats.

Or another idea, where I’d have Curtain, and projector there, to project media onto curtain/sheet for viewing media. Having seats further back, would give room for projector, and better viewing distance.

Also cool that there would be 3 seats that far back, where in the 7 Seat Config, it would only be a 2 Seater there.

One downside is that I won’t have the extra vent back there. Is ventilation really that bad without extra vent? Any ways to improve ventilation?

Any possible problems of Area Back there not being wide enough for 3 seats, or not being able to fold flat. Also going to be getting premium interior, so would I have to extend the wiring for heating those seats?

Any tips or feedback would be great.

I don't think the rear is wide enough for the three middle seats. You could pull the 2nd row in a 7 seater and achieve some of the effect.
Can’t do this unfortunately. Doing Lease, and already putting Maximum Down Payment, and I can only go up to $86,000 total. Even if I pay $3,000 more in my down payment. They won’t let me in my Lease. So this is my only option really.

I guess I could just take the part of the 2nd Row that’s 2 Seats, and place that all the way in the back. And kick out the 3rd Seat.

Or maybe I place the 3rd Seat on the side, facing sideways, also like a limo. And maybe get a fourth seat, to put on the opposite side, and then I’d have 6 Seats.

Can’t do this unfortunately. Doing Lease, and already putting Maximum Down Payment, and I can only go up to $86,000 total. Even if I pay $3,000 more in my down payment. They won’t let me in my Lease. So this is my only option really.

I guess I could just take the part of the 2nd Row that’s 2 Seats, and place that all the way in the back. And kick out the 3rd Seat.

Or maybe I place the 3rd Seat on the side, facing sideways, also like a limo. And maybe get a fourth seat, to put on the opposite side, and then I’d have 6 Seats.

Couple potential issues:
The middle seat unit may be a single unit, in which case you can't split the 60/40. There likely won't be mounting places available for a rotated position. With a lease, aluminum frame, and the battery pack, you can't just add more mounting structure.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarsonGallo
So you're going to lease a car, then throw all kinds of money at it to "upgrade" it to a 4 seater?
I’m definitely buying the car, either for residual after 3 years is up. Or if I can get money together sooner, Buy it before then.

Have to do Lease right now, with my credit. Will have 3 years to either save up enough to buy for residual, or use savings in combination with loan to buy out vehicle. So all the work and money I’m investing will be for car that I’m keeping. So definitely worth it.

For Limo Seats, I could probably do 3 custom seats lined up and centered all the way in the back of the car. At or very close to the Trunk. And then have it curve into one seat each on the left and right side for a total of Five Seats in the back. Five Seats in the back, and two up front. And Bam! I got Seven Seats.

Willing to forgoe heated seats in that scenario.

But no sure if willing to give up folding options. Folding Limo Seats possibly?

Suggestion: Buy normal, foldable 3rd row seating (and attachments) from Tesla as spare parts and install that?
Ok, yeah that’s actually brilliant. Asked whether Tesla officially does it as an Add-On. Which it doesn’t. But forgot that of course they would sell them as spare parts, in case something happens to them. And I’ll either install it myself, or get somebody to install for me.

Still like Limo Seats Idea, would be able to fit 7 people. But I can maybe always do that down the road.

May sell my 2nd Row of Seats, and use that to help pay for getting The Third Row.

Also any suggestions for heating/air Back there. Anyways to improve ventilation. Is it bad without the extra vents. Will having the second row of seats removed, make the ventilation better?

@CarsonGallo FWIW, it doesn't seem to be very adequate even on the second row in the five-seater as the front fan has a hard time driving the second-row vents (five-seater misses the rear A/C fan and the rear-most vents). I would assume it would be even worse on the third-row... The second-row ventilation can be improved somewhat by closing front vent or two...

Though of course the large open space in the back might well work positively, A/C wise, who knows.

Discussion here:

A/C Effectiveness in 5-seat configuration - Predictions?

Two more things to consider, it comes as a two seat option in the rear for a reason. Go to your nearest SC and sit back there with a full sized adult. The cup holder is barely usable let alone a third person.

The other issue will be headroom. I'm 5'9 and hit my head back there. Do a little hands on R&D and you'll see what I'm typing about. While I think it would be cool, it'll still be a 4 seater.

The only way I could see a 3 seat rear configuration would be by turning the rear seats of a 5 seater backwards towards the rear. I could give you some measurements but can' guarantee there would be enough room to enter the FWD with front/rear seats back to back.

Reactions: CarsonGallo
Two more things to consider, it comes as a two seat option in the rear for a reason. Go to your nearest SC and sit back there with a full sized adult. The cup holder is barely usable let alone a third person.

The other issue will be headroom. I'm 5'9 and hit my head back there. Do a little hands on R&D and you'll see what I'm typing about. While I think it would be cool, it'll still be a 4 seater.

The only way I could see a 3 seat rear configuration would be by turning the rear seats of a 5 seater backwards towards the rear. I could give you some measurements but can' guarantee there would be enough room to enter the FWD with front/rear seats back to back.
Gotcha. Gives me idea for combining both my ideas. Have 2 Seat all the way in the back. And have 1 compact folding chair on each side of the car in the back. Left & Right. And that would give me 6 Seats Total.

And with that idea, I wouldn’t have to pay extra down the road, to remove the seats I installed in the back, and replace with a 5 Seat Limo Style. I would just add on 2 seats to that Config.

I have seen brand new 3rd row seats on ebay for very reasonable prices. I saw that you would not be able to get an actual 7 passenger version and then just remove the 2nd row, but without the 6 or 7 passenger option, you won't have the rear A/C vents or blower controls.
Yes, but because my second row of seats will be all the way back, that shouldn’t block the airflow of the vents from reaching back there. Plus it’s a car, a self contained space. There’s no place else for the air to go but Back there. So I think they should be adequate.

And AirBags, didn’t think too much about that. Any ideas on that, still be good protection for passengers Back there? They are further back from the front. Makes it safer, when it comes to head on collisions I would figure.

In case you don't purchase at end: Remember that when leasing that a modification such as yours will be heavily penalized when returning.
And understood, but even if I don’t have full $50,000 for Residual, at the end of the lease. I’ll just use whatever savings I have, and take out a lone for the difference. Gonna actually try and purchase the car before 3 years is up anyways. Cause I’m also definitely going over the allotted miles.

And understood, but even if I don’t have full $50,000 for Residual, at the end of the lease. I’ll just use whatever savings I have, and take out a lone for the difference. Gonna actually try and purchase the car before 3 years is up anyways. Cause I’m also definitely going over the allotted miles.

No idea what your research level has been, so please forgive if I am retracing traveled ground:

I'm under the impression that residuals are not favorable toward future purchase (partly due to the treatment of the 7,500 credit). So you might be better off prepaying for miles, then buying a different CPO at the end of lease. However, if the excess miles are going to be really high, then that would offset the residual issue. Did you check with @kilocar?

No idea what your research level has been, so please forgive if I am retracing traveled ground:

I'm under the impression that residuals are not favorable toward future purchase (partly due to the treatment of the 7,500 credit). So you might be better off prepaying for miles, then buying a different CPO at the end of lease. However, if the excess miles are going to be really high, then that would offset the residual issue. Did you check with @kilocar?
Correct, I am losing out on the $7,500 tax credit. Would finance or Buy right away if I could. But as long as I buy the car within 3 years, I don’t have to worry about the mileage overage. If I was going to be returning the vehicle after 3 years, then yes I would either do the 12.5K or 15K Mileage Option. But there’s no point in me paying more monthly when I’m going to buy out the car. The residual value of the car is $1,000 more for the 10K Option which I’m doing, over the 15K Option. So I’m just paying an extra $1,000. But I’m lowering my Monthly by like $80/month I believe.