Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving Superchargers out of back parking lots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my take as I gaze into my cracked and cloudy crystal ball. First, Tesla gets plenty of exposure in the media (at least here in California.) Second, the Model III reservations attracted hundreds of thousands of orders.

I think that in another 7-10 years most of the major auto manufacturers will have at least one significant pure BEV. I also think that battery and charging technology will evolve to enable a faster charge, at least for the first 2/3 of capacity. I hope to see someone figure out a fee-based business model similar to conventional fueling stations. I would hope that we would have some sort of charging standard by then rather than the mixed bag of CHAdeMO, CCS combination and Tesla. Failing that, adapters should be available for use to permit any BEV to get juice. Consumers will demand convenient charging, and somehow the manufacturers will have to figure out how to enable all their customers to be able to charge while on the road or if their homes do not have charging capabilities.

If this comes to pass, then I think Tesla would jump on the bandwagon and turn over most Supercharging to these proprietary locations. Many of the "free for life" Teslas will no longer be in service. Those that are still in service will receive some sort of annual credit towards charging--maybe a free swipe-type card from Tesla or some other arrangement. Those with the 400kWh/year allotment will have a swipe card too, but the owners would have to pay once they exhaust that amount. I can certainly see Tesla getting out of the charging infrastructure expense if there is enough availability at privately-owned charging stops.

I could see where the Supercharging sites now in existence slowly being removed. Tesla might even make all this used equipment available for sale to others for private charging.

From a cost perspective, the location of charging sites is driven by where the power source is at. To trench hundreds of additional feet in asphalt or concrete just to get to the "Front" of the lot or the "Back of the lot vs. where the power source might be doesn't make sense...

Reactions: vrykolas