Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a raven 2019 model S LR in the Midwest. we are moving to Toronto, Canada in the next few months. Anyone have experice buying in Canada? Got my car about a year ago for 72k (with fsd). Debating if I should ship my car (and change my loan bank) or just sell and buy a new one up north (maybe even splurge on the refresh if they start delivering more frequently) ok with buying used, but from what I hear prices for teslas are higher in Canada.

Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.

I am from the Toronto area and have a 2017 MS. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would consider multiple options:
1) The price in Canada is definitely higher than the US. The taxes in Canada are 13%. The incentives for a MS are non-existent at this point since it is a "luxury/high priced car". Also the income taxes in Canada are pretty high and for salaries over 100K, federal+provincial taxes can add up to nearly 41%. But depends on your circumstances and ways you can work around it.
2) The new cars at this point upon ordering are available in 2022 Q1, so you might have to find an alternative if you sell your current vehicle.
3) What are you able to get for your car if you sell it? Given the higher market for used vehicles as well, can you stomach the price difference from what you paid vs your return/sale price?
4) How much do you want to get the refresh car especially given that it would approximately run you $130K for a long range version once taxes are included (with spec'ed out FSD , colour options etc etc...).
5) Is there costs associated with transferring your vehicle over to Canada? I read some vehicles aren't up to code for the Canadian winter. I would look into that. If the costs add up to a point where you are better off buying a new car, then go down that route.

Ultimately it comes down to your finances and if you can afford the new MS, go for it. If not, you have answered your question right there.

Reactions: Joesage
@Joesage , I would first check whether your can can even be imported into Canada. I know in the past (~2014 IIRC) US version of Model S was not importable to Canada at all because if did not follow Canadian guidelines (the things were small. like the color of set belt releases, but Tesla refused to sell retrofits).

I am from the Toronto area and have a 2017 MS. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would consider multiple options:
1) The price in Canada is definitely higher than the US. The taxes in Canada are 13%. The incentives for a MS are non-existent at this point since it is a "luxury/high priced car". Also the income taxes in Canada are pretty high and for salaries over 100K, federal+provincial taxes can add up to nearly 41%. But depends on your circumstances and ways you can work around it.
2) The new cars at this point upon ordering are available in 2022 Q1, so you might have to find an alternative if you sell your current vehicle.
3) What are you able to get for your car if you sell it? Given the higher market for used vehicles as well, can you stomach the price difference from what you paid vs your return/sale price?
4) How much do you want to get the refresh car especially given that it would approximately run you $130K for a long range version once taxes are included (with spec'ed out FSD , colour options etc etc...).
5) Is there costs associated with transferring your vehicle over to Canada? I read some vehicles aren't up to code for the Canadian winter. I would look into that. If the costs add up to a point where you are better off buying a new car, then go down that route.

Ultimately it comes down to your finances and if you can afford the new MS, go for it. If not, you have answered your question right there.
very well thought out. Yes given the market selling i would make close to what i spent, but reading a little more about the hassle of shipping as well as likely not being able to import due to guidelines (model S and X specifically). Given what you said, dont think i can stomach all that extra cost. Looks like my realistic options are to get a model 3/Y after moving up there (Waiting isnt an issue) or just get another EV all together.

Thanks for the insight. Gonna be sad to lose my MS

Reactions: vraev
@Joesage , I would first check whether your can can even be imported into Canada. I know in the past (~2014 IIRC) US version of Model S was not importable to Canada at all because if did not follow Canadian guidelines (the things were small. like the color of set belt releases, but Tesla refused to sell retrofits).
after reading some more, i think youre right. may not be possible. Things i have been reading before posting were more related to model 3/Y

Reactions: Kandiru
very well thought out. Yes given the market selling i would make close to what i spent, but reading a little more about the hassle of shipping as well as likely not being able to import due to guidelines (model S and X specifically). Given what you said, dont think i can stomach all that extra cost. Looks like my realistic options are to get a model 3/Y after moving up there (Waiting isnt an issue) or just get another EV all together.

Thanks for the insight. Gonna be sad to lose my MS
Happy to help. All the very best for the new start and welcome to the GTA. :)

So fyi. I contacted my local Tesla in the us, they set up a mock appt so a technician can review my question. They updated this EIS overnight and told me now it's legal in Canada. I know an update happened cause all my units were changed to Celsius/km. And companies can deal with the paperwork/shipping of the car door to door for about 1800 including all fees. So not a bad deal (will still have to pay property tax on it as well after it's delivered

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and ucmndd
So fyi. I contacted my local Tesla in the us, they set up a mock appt so a technician can review my question. They updated this EIS overnight and told me now it's legal in Canada. I know an update happened cause all my units were changed to Celsius/km. And companies can deal with the paperwork/shipping of the car door to door for about 1800 including all fees. So not a bad deal (will still have to pay property tax on it as well after it's delivered
They have property tax on cars in Canada now? Or are you just talking about annual registration (which includes a lot of taxes, in WA state I pay over a grand per Model S per year for tabs)?

Well I know there's a 5% GST for Canada, then additional for Ontario specific when I get my license plate.
Sales tax even if you are moving to Canada with your personal car? I've done the move from Canada, as well as between states, and usually the sales tax (so GST or HST in Ontario) was waved as long as I owned the car prior to the move for some set time (IIRC 9 months or something like that). If you are leasing however, the tax is applied to monthly payment instead so when you move, the monthly payment changes.

I would definitely bring your car.
1. The wisdom of our federal government is to impose a 10% luxury tax on upscale cars on top of the regular 13% tax on purchases.
2 Check here regarding admissibility: Explanations on Mandatory Compliance
3. You should only have to pay small excise taxes (AC excise tax, not expensive) as you are binging your personal car here (not importing as a business to resell).
4. You will need a US export permit. Read about it here. https://simplifiedtradesolutions.com/
5. Not all border crossing points deal with cars. Don't know you route but the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge is one option and that is enroute to Toronto.
6. You have to submit documentation in advance to your US border crossing point (ie. export permit, vehicle permit) Simplified Trade Solutions (link above) can walk you through all that
7. On the Canadian side you will receive documentation that you have to take to the licence bureau
8. You will need an authorized service center to confirm that your car is compliant. I suggest you contact a Tesla Service Center in the Toronto area and let them know what you are doing (surely you are not the first person to bring a Tesla into the country) and verify they can certify that your car is compliant to Canadian standards (sound like your US Tesla service center has taken care of that)
9. Ask Tesla here in Canada to do a safety certificate which you need to licence the car here (this is different than the importation stuff)
10. When in Toronto and with all paperwork in hand, trot down to the Licence Bureau and register the car.

I have imported and exported many cars over the years. It is no more complicated to import into Canada then it is to export to the US. (Contrary to above post). You just have to research it and be properly prepared.

Welcome to Toronto. Trusting you will be: a Maple Leaf and Raptors fan!