Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Maryland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've accepted a job in DC and will be moving there within the next few weeks. I'll be working on the south side of DC, so I was thinking we'd stay in Maryland. Anyone have any recommends of neighborhoods we should check out or avoid? I have a 4 year old, so we'd want an area with good schools. I'm also hoping to get a property big enough to house my parents with us, or even build them a 2nd home on the lot.

Maryland is expensive.

If you're working in south DC and planning on commuting in via your Model 3 (Performance, nice) then you can trade off some of the cost of the more metro Maryland counties with a slightly further commute from Charles or St Mary's. Southern Prince George's County is another option though beware there are very noticeable divides in PG county. Think of it more like being a Prince county and a George county ;) (No offense to anyone who lives in PG, not like that isn't true for most places it is just convenient to make a name joke!)

For schools, I will defer to people that actually have kids. My niece and nephew went to schools in Anne Arundel county and I'm told that some schools in that county are good. AA County is pricey though especially if you start getting into the real estate that would offer an in-law suite or enough land for a subdivided lot.

I don't know what your charging plan will be, but southern MD is a bit skinny on Superchargers (though there are many L2 options). Home charging of course would be best, but otherwise you'll have to charge in DC which will require you to know which lots are $$$ and which aren't. There is a new Supercharger in permit status opening just across the Nice bridge into VA ( Supercharger - Dahlgren, VA ) that would cost you the EZ-Pass toll to get to.

Good luck and safe travels!

I've accepted a job in DC and will be moving there within the next few weeks. I'll be working on the south side of DC, so I was thinking we'd stay in Maryland. Anyone have any recommends of neighborhoods we should check out or avoid? I have a 4 year old, so we'd want an area with good schools. I'm also hoping to get a property big enough to house my parents with us, or even build them a 2nd home on the lot.

I've lived in Maryland (Montgomery County), Virginia (Fairfax County), and now DC. Feel free to message me to share details regarding budget, distance from work, etc. It's probably stating the obvious but traffic getting into DC can be a real pain.

Thanks guys. I'll be working at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling. Wife and I found a home in Waldorf. Commute seems somewhat reasonable.

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics of moving in times like these. Couldn't have picked a worse time to relocate.

Welcome to the DC area! I live in Waldorf off Rt. 228/Bensville Rd (rt 229). What part of Charles County are you in? There is a small So. MD Tesla Owners group but the meetups have been in St. Mary's County. Of course all meetups are on hold right now. I also run mdvolt.org which is a group that includes all EV owners.

SO. MD: Log into Facebook | Facebook
MD: Maryland Tesla Owners Club