Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving to Vancouver, thinking about winter tires, seeking comments on my plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reviving this thread that I started 5 months ago when I lived in California; my wife and I now live in West Vancouver and we are very happy to be there! The summer weather has been fantastic and we’ve been enjoying the many hiking trails that are so close to us. Before moving I installed all weather tires on my Model 3 and have now decided to buy a set of winter tires for my Model X so we can get up into the local mountains for snowshoeing.

My question is; what are the pros and cons of buying just winter tires compared to winter tires on a dedicated set of wheels? I’m leaning towards the latter, as it will be simpler to change one set of wheels for the other, keep my summer wheels from being damaged by twice a year tire swaps, and the storage space required is the same.

Suggestions for winter tires and rims combinations for an X are welcome. The simplest solution, though not the cheapest, seems to be to purchase what Tesla sells at 2015-2020 | Model X 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package

I will search existing threads on this topic. Thank you!
Welcome!

We also went the route of dedicated rims/tyres - makes the whole process easier, and whilst your neighbours are scrabbling around trying to get an appointment to swap things over, you drive out your garage having performed it yourself in minutes

Which part of West Van are you?

Reviving this thread that I started 5 months ago when I lived in California; my wife and I now live in West Vancouver and we are very happy to be there! The summer weather has been fantastic and we’ve been enjoying the many hiking trails that are so close to us. Before moving I installed all weather tires on my Model 3 and have now decided to buy a set of winter tires for my Model X so we can get up into the local mountains for snowshoeing.

My question is; what are the pros and cons of buying just winter tires compared to winter tires on a dedicated set of wheels? I’m leaning towards the latter, as it will be simpler to change one set of wheels for the other, keep my summer wheels from being damaged by twice a year tire swaps, and the storage space required is the same.

Suggestions for winter tires and rims combinations for an X are welcome. The simplest solution, though not the cheapest, seems to be to purchase what Tesla sells at 2015-2020 | Model X 20" Slipstream Wheel and Winter Tire Package

I will search existing threads on this topic. Thank you!
As others have said, I've always gone with a full winter set of tires on their own rims. We decided to get a second set of Tesla 18"aero rims for our 2018 Model 3. My logic was that having 8 identical rims might be handy of one rim, either winter or summer, was damaged. In that situation I would have another identical rim available without having to wait for a replacement rim. (I do my own seasonal changeover at home which avoids crowded tire shops when everyone wants their changeover on the same day.)

Question to those who change their wheels/tires themselves; at a curb weight of 5421 lb / 2459 kg the X 100D is a massively heavy vehicle. I would need a pretty beefy jack, and loosening lug nuts put on with a compressor at a tire store is tough without a compressor-driven tool can be very difficult. So what jack and tools do you all use for that task?

Question to those who change their wheels/tires themselves; at a curb weight of 5421 lb / 2459 kg the X 100D is a massively heavy vehicle. I would need a pretty beefy jack, and loosening lug nuts put on with a compressor at a tire store is tough without a compressor-driven tool can be very difficult. So what jack and tools do you all use for that task?
I change my own winter/summer separate wheel/tire sets every year. Quick and easy to do in the driveway.

for my Model S, I have a Blackjack 2.5 ton low-profile floor jack (made by Torin, I think). Not sure about clearance for an X, but with an S you need to have a low profile jack to fit under the car

if I recall the rule of thumb is that a floor jack should be rated at 3/4 of the car's gross vehicle weight. so I think a 2.5~3 ton jack should work for your X

I use a 24" breaker bar (Cdn Tire) to loosen the lug nuts, easy to do by hand, no power tools. I hand tighten the nuts back on and use a torque wrench to torque to the recommended 129 lb-ft (might be different lb-ft for an X?)

I don't mind changing my own winter/summer tires - I've always done it myself even before my S. that said, if buying a new vehicle I might next time opt for a set of all-weather Nokians on a single set of all-year wheels, as I don't venture far out of the city here as much as I might have in past.

I use the following on my 3 to change my wheels:

Arcan 3 Ton Jack
M18 FUEL™ 1/2" Mid-Torque Impact Wrench with Pin Detent (Tool Only):
Performance Tool 5pc 1/2" Drive Wheel Protector Impact Socket Set - SAE and Metric:
Magnum 1/2" Drive Torque Wrench - 25-250 ft-lbs

I use the Impact Wrench to loosen the nuts as well as per-tightening the nuts when putting the wheel back on.
If you value your back, using an impact wrench is highly recommended.

I use the torque wrench to do the final pull(s) and torque the nuts to spec.