Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving TPMS from one car too another?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a spare set of wheels for my Model S that came with TPMS.

I want to move the TPMS over to a set of snow tires/wheels that I'm putting on my wife's Model X.

Do the TPMS need to be programmed, or do they just work?

Don't have an X to know this for sure, but in the 3 it just works. On the screen it'll prompt you asking if you changed wheels when it sees the new TPMS sensors, and auto-learns them. It also let's you select from OEM sizes so the speedo is fixed as long as you stick with original tire diameters. There's a wheel configuration option for that in the menus if you don't get prompted automagically.

I have a spare set of wheels for my Model S that came with TPMS.

I want to move the TPMS over to a set of snow tires/wheels that I'm putting on my wife's Model X.

Do the TPMS need to be programmed, or do they just work?

Depends on what TPMS system generation is in the Model S that the wheels came off of. If the Model S is the Gen 2 system (which can display individual tire pressures in the instrument panel display) then yes, those TPMS sensors will work on the Model X with no changes.

If the Model S is the Gen 1 system (older, was original equipment on Model S vehicles with VIN less than 050900), then they will not work on the Model X.

Some Model S vehicles that originally shipped with the Gen 1 system have had the Gen 2 system retrofitted, so the VIN isn't the final word on whether those TPMS modules will work. The most reliable method would be if the Model S supported individual tire pressure display in the instrument cluster -- if yes, then the sensors will work on the Model X.