Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MP3 broke down on drive home from picking it up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on state for the return window. In California, all contracts have a 3 day "cool off window" where you can get out of it.
No it doesn't.

"California law does not provide for a “cooling-off” or other cancellation period for vehicle lease or purchase contracts. Therefore, you cannot later cancel such a contract simply because you change your mind, decide the vehicle costs too much, or wish you had acquired a different vehicle. After you sign a motor vehicle purchase or lease contract, it may only be canceled with the agreement of the seller or lessor or for legal cause, such as fraud.

However, California law does require a seller to offer a 2-day contract cancellation option on used vehicles with a purchase price of less than $40,000, subject to certain statutory conditions."

I might have even raised hell and ask for a new car, there is still couple of days when one can return the car with Tesla, right? Enjoy your new car.
Tesla used to have a 7 day return policy, but that was when the Model 3 was new and customers were not able to test drive one before placing an order. Tesla has not had this policy for some time.

Depends on state for the return window. In California, all contracts have a 3 day "cool off window" where you can get out of it. This gives you a basically 3 day return policy. AFAIK they CAN charge you for the value difference they incur from the additional miles though. I just assume that because based off of my company, in construction, if someone changes their mind I still get to bill for work performed and then VOID the contract.
Not for new cars - only used.

Nope, new as well. It isn't specific to cars... California requires ALL contracts be reversible for 3 days. You can be charged the price difference for the services already provided though. So if you put 1000 miles on the car, they can charge you for the value difference on the car
I don't believe this is accurate and I wish people would stop repeating it. Not only for California but for other states as well.

Consumers who purchase a used car for less than $40,000 must be offered a two-day contract cancellation option agreement.

There is no “cooling off” period unless you purchase a contract cancellation option agreement.

EXCEPTION: The contract cancellation option agreement does not apply to used cars priced at $40,000 or more, new cars, private party sales, motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, recreational vehicles, or vehicles sold for business or commercial use (does not include pickup trucks purchased for personal use).

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
Nope, new as well. It isn't specific to cars... California requires ALL contracts be reversible for 3 days. You can be charged the price difference for the services already provided though. So if you put 1000 miles on the car, they can charge you for the value difference on the car
Nope.

My actual contract paperwork for a recent California car purchase:

58DE4BA2-339E-4241-9F7E-CC87FB841E50.jpeg

So I was driving back home after picking up my brand new M3P when I heard a light thunk sound.

The display popped up a bunch of warnings and now is broken down on the side of the road.
View attachment 712795

Unfortunate case of "infant mortality", as @Sophias_dad pointed out.
May be good advice for all new BEV drivers to "stress test" car close to a service location? Some full power launches and emergency stops might be all that is needed.

The notifications are somewhat cryptic, would be nice if it offered what might be wrong by analyzing all those errors.

Sucks on your first day.

Computers on wheels, with large batteries. There is new and on going software evolution, and battery science at play as opposed to an engine block, and a calculator running it. :)
This is bound to happen to some. All EV makers are feeling this.

Still totally sucks though.

Stumbled upon this thread, and while I am happy Tesla made it right on this occasion, wouldn't the repairs they did lower the resale value of the car? Wouldn't the repair history show up on Carfax? If so, is there any recourse?
No, it will not show up in CarFax. CarFax gets info from police reports and insurance companies. Tesla will have a record though.

But you are right. It would be devalued as far as I would be concerned. Might lead to issues some day.

I always inspect work. I often find minor oversights. Missing screws or clips, a Clamp not on right, minor scuffs where they are not normally seen. Nothing like factory assembled.

Let’s put it this way, for folks that say it’s still new. If you walked in to pickup the car and they said there was a problem and it won’t be ready for a month. It needs a new HV battery, new 12V battery and new trim. But it still only has 10 miles on it. Would you accept it and pay full price? I certainly wouldn’t.

No, it will not show up in CarFax. CarFax gets info from police reports and insurance companies. Tesla will have a record though.

But you are right. It would be devalued as far as I would be concerned. Might lead to issues some day.

I always inspect work. I often find minor oversights. Missing screws or clips, a Clamp not on right, minor scuffs where they are not normally seen. Nothing like factory assembled.

Let’s put it this way, for folks that say it’s still new. If you walked in to pickup the car and they said there was a problem and it won’t be ready for a month. It needs a new HV battery, new 12V battery and new trim. But it still only has 10 miles on it. Would you accept it and pay full price? I certainly wouldn’t.
Carfax gets info from car dealerships as well. Every oil change on My Yukon is in my carfax, as well as registration. I would assume replacing the battery would be like replacing an engine. Will it not?

The “true” miles let’s say estimated are 250. New battery has 0 miles. Just like replacing an engine in a vehicle. I would think the same would apply to the motors.

Me personally would want a new vehicle.

Wow! That’s crazy
That’s no different than other brands.
Had a Honda (new) and when the engine had issues from day one, they ultimately rebuilt the engine, instead of replacing it.
It worked fine after that though.
No issues.
If the battery was new, I’m sure Tesla will put a comparable battery back in.
Why don’t we find out what they do in the end.

Depends on state for the return window. In California, all contracts have a 3 day "cool off window" where you can get out of it. This gives you a basically 3 day return policy.
As others have pointed out, you are definitely WRONG when it comes to new automobile purchases in California.

As for other states, I've asked about this at which states have a "cooling off"/return period on new cars? and never got any answer. If you know of any US states which have mandated cooling off periods or return periods on the purchase or lease of new automobiles, please point us to them and reputable pages that state it (e.g. that of the state govts).

Reactions: CheezyNachos