Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MP3 broke down on drive home from picking it up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was driving back home after picking up my brand new M3P when I heard a light thunk sound.

The display popped up a bunch of warnings and now is broken down on the side of the road.

This is not a positive experience.
20210922_130515_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210922_132116_01.jpg

By time tow truck showed up car was dead. When tow truck driver showed up he walked to the passenger side door. It opened fine, but then when he closed it the top of the window hit the door frame trim and it got scuffed down to the metal.

He also couldn't put it into tow mode so he had to drag it using skates. I could still see marks from my tires though.

Anyway, I got towed to the service center 28 miles away. They were really nice and were very apologetic. They also said they would fix the trim.

Right now I have a M3LR as a loaner.

By time tow truck showed up car was dead. When tow truck driver showed up he walked to the passenger side door. It opened fine, but then when he closed it the top of the window hit the door frame trim and it got scuffed down to the metal.

He also couldn't put it into tow mode so he had to drag it using skates. I could still see marks from my tires though.

Anyway, I got towed to the service center 28 miles away. They were really nice and were very apologetic. They also said they would fix the trim.

Right now I have a M3LR as a loaner.
Hope it didn't take too long for the whole deal. Also hope they get it fixed, right, and soon.

Hope it didn't take too long for the whole deal. Also hope they get it fixed, right, and soon.
It took about an hour for someone to show up and then another 35 minutes or so to the service center.

Right now the estimated repair date is 9/29, but I am not sure how accurate that is since they said it would be tomorrow before they fully know what the issue is.

It took about an hour for someone to show up and then another 35 minutes or so to the service center.

Right now the estimated repair date is 9/29, but I am not sure how accurate that is since they said it would be tomorrow before they fully know what the issue is.
Not the best way to start your Tesla experience. When I picked up mine I got home and realized they forgot to give me my state inspection sticker. That was a bit annoying You definitely win the bad pickup experience award. Suck.

So sorry to hear about your breakdown. Hopefully they will have you up and running sooner than expected. Obviously a terrible start and I know I would be a mess in your situation but at least you got a loaner. Still...

Tesla update:

The service center just sent me a message advising that the issue stemmed from a problem with the high voltage battery pack (i.e., the one that provides power to the motors) and it is not a result of a faulty drive unit, inverter, etc.

They had to order a new one which will arrive mid next week. They will also be replacing the pyro fuse that blew, the 12v battery that got completely drained, and the damaged trim piece. They assured me they will look over the rest of the vehicle and address any other issues as needed.

Right now the completion date is set for next Friday.

Tesla update:

The service center just sent me a message advising that the issue stemmed from a problem with the high voltage battery pack (i.e., the one that provides power to the motors) and it is not a result of a faulty drive unit, inverter, etc.

They had to order a new one which will arrive mid next week. They will also be replacing the pyro fuse that blew, the 12v battery that got completely drained, and the damaged trim piece. They assured me they will look over the rest of the vehicle and address any other issues as needed.

That is damn fast! From what I've seen on YouTube it's a quick job to swap out the main battery. Can put a few free miles on the loaner until then.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Tesla update:

That's great news. For a brand new car couldn't they have caught such a imminent failure prior to delivery? Or due to volume and numbers, they don't?

• Disagree
Reactions: M109Rider
That's great news. For a brand new car couldn't they have caught such a imminent failure prior to delivery? Or due to volume and numbers, they don't?
I don't know.

However, when I picked up my car they charged me for the trim replacement. Also after I got home I noticed it hadn't actually been replaced. Also, my driver's side front window was no longer operating correctly.

The good news is that after I contacted them about it they refunded me the cost of the trim, explained that the trim piece had been ordered but when it arrived at the service center it was the wrong one, and set me up with a mobile appointment for today.

The mobile service got here earlier than expected (awesome!) and replaced the trim as well as my window.

Things are now okay.

I don't know.

However, when I picked up my car they charged me for the trim replacement. Also after I got home I noticed it hadn't actually been replaced. Also, my driver's side front window was no longer operating correctly.

The good news is that after I contacted them about it they refunded me the cost of the trim, explained that the trim piece had been ordered but when it arrived at the service center it was the wrong one, and set me up with a mobile appointment for today.

The mobile service got here earlier than expected (awesome!) and replaced the trim as well as my window.

Things are now okay.
You are a patient owner. This is what other owners make fun of reliability of (insert any car) that they break down. I might have even raised hell and ask for a new car, there is still couple of days when one can return the car with Tesla, right? Enjoy your new car.

Depends on state for the return window. In California, all contracts have a 3 day "cool off window" where you can get out of it. This gives you a basically 3 day return policy. AFAIK they CAN charge you for the value difference they incur from the additional miles though. I just assume that because based off of my company, in construction, if someone changes their mind I still get to bill for work performed and then VOID the contract.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwerdna