Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MP3 & FLAC solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the link Duck! That looks to be a bit more than I think I'm ready to dive into at present however. Also, since I live in the bay area, FM usage is also probably quite high.

Did I hear someone say somewhere that the stock media app will in fact shuffle songs on a given USB drive during playback if desired? Will it remember it's position between restarts? That's really all need...

Ian

Did I hear someone say somewhere that the stock media app will in fact shuffle songs on a given USB drive during playback if desired? Will it remember it's position between restarts? That's really all need...
It will shuffle songs in any given folder. And at least for me, it remembers where it is over power cycles. Most of the time. Hint: those rare occasions when it doesn't, put the car in park, get out of the car, shut the door, then get back in - your track will be back where it was. Weird little anomaly, but at least it's easily fixable.

Since Option #1 is basically free, if you have a thumb drive laying around, I would give that a try to see how you like it. There are definitely some fairly major issues with the Tesla Media player (i.e. doesn't restart where it leaves off after sleeping, can't show a mixed artist CD together, etc...), but it does Not Rescan the thumb drive every time you start the car, that only happens the first time that you insert it after removal. Don't get me wrong, there are many, many more minor issues that Tesla could and should fix with the media player (it's basically been forgotten), but it does work fairly well and gives you by far, the best audio quality, as long as your music files are high quality to begin with.

So THAT'S why the music sometimes starts when we get back in and sometimes it doesn't. It's a PITA for sure. Well, to me anyway.

No problems managing a large library on USB storage.

* The drive scanning is only done once, so that is not a recurring issue.
* Organize the folder structure on the drive, so you can easily browse through it.
* Use a USB hub to extend the ports and capacity.

I have multiple drives hooked up to the hub storing primary music archive. 1 drive is designated to bring in new music occasionally.

Drive structure is \Artist\Album\track-name.mp3.
Mixed-artist albums such as soundtracks are named as Various Artist\Album\...
ID3 are tagged properly. It's already set this way in my computer system, as a matter of good habit, so its a direct file copy over to the USB drives.

The only downside -- which is technically not incorrect handling by Tesla -- is when browsing by artist, it will displays literally thousands of artists culled from the mixed-artist albums. So instead I browse by Folder, which allows me to find e.g. Pink Floyd. Easy Peasy.

Also not technically incorrect, is when browsing, you must select from 1 drive at a time. My music are spread over 32GB drives, so if I used a larger capacity like 128GB it wouldve been non-issue.

No problems managing a large library on USB storage.

* The drive scanning is only done once, so that is not a recurring issue.
* Organize the folder structure on the drive, so you can easily browse through it.
* Use a USB hub to extend the ports and capacity.

I have multiple drives hooked up to the hub storing primary music archive. 1 drive is designated to bring in new music occasionally.

Drive structure is \Artist\Album\track-name.mp3.
Mixed-artist albums such as soundtracks are named as Various Artist\Album\...
ID3 are tagged properly. It's already set this way in my computer system, as a matter of good habit, so its a direct file copy over to the USB drives.

The only downside -- which is technically not incorrect handling by Tesla -- is when browsing by artist, it will displays literally thousands of artists culled from the mixed-artist albums. So instead I browse by Folder, which allows me to find e.g. Pink Floyd. Easy Peasy.

Also not technically incorrect, is when browsing, you must select from 1 drive at a time. My music are spread over 32GB drives, so if I used a larger capacity like 128GB it wouldve been non-issue.

I have 10k songs on a 128GB drive and it does not scan every time but it rescans very often for no rhyme or reason.

I’ve since signed up to Spotify which works pretty good. I’ve not tried the USB drive in a while. It also has a tendency to make TeslaCam more fragile than it already is when I use it because it’s partitioned on the same drive.

I posted a thread on how to hack the artist so that it does not split albums. But I also have it organized by folders.

I’ve been using a 1 TB toshiba usb drive with all FLAC since 2012. Do NOT use Bluetooth. It defeats FLAC by reducing quality below MP3. Fact of the Tesla sound system is that it is acutely sensitive to source quality. FLAC sounds 10x better.

as others have said, it only reindexes when you reinsert drive. So when I remove to add tracks, I go out to car and reinstall sometime when I’m not about to drive off. So I never have the aggravation of waiting for indexing.

there are numerous threads bemoaning the weak media player functionality. Read up because there are good tagging tips that will save you frustration.

I have a 128gb usb, with two folders:

iTunesMusic
FLAC

The former contains about 20,000 tracks, the FLAC folder about 300+ albums. As said, it only seems to re index when I remove it, so functionality wise it works fine. Best is to browse by folder imo. I tend to use TuneIn radio quite a lot. I also find it works fine for Plex in full screen, making my whole home server movie and tv series available to me when I'm in Park, which is currently circa 500 movies and > 2,000 episodes of various tv series - great for when I'm charging on a trip.

Nested subfolders too?

Answered my own question testing on small 2 GB drive I have; yes, it does work to shuffle items in nested subfolders. This should suit my needs fine.

One small problem. Each album folder contains a folder.jpg file (500x500 px) which the car is not displaying. Is there (gulp) an album art problem with USB? Do covers need to have a different name perhaps?

Ian

Answered my own question testing on small 2 GB drive I have; yes, it does work to shuffle items in nested subfolders. This should suit my needs fine.

One small problem. Each album folder contains a folder.jpg file (500x500 px) which the car is not displaying. Is there (gulp) an album art problem with USB? Do covers need to have a different name perhaps?

Ian
I use embedded artwork in my music files and that gets displayed but I did notice that a folder.jpg file in the folder doesn't. Not sure if others have a workaround for that. Mp3tag is excellent freeware that will embed the artwork if you don't mind the larger file sizes.

I use embedded artwork in my music files and that gets displayed but I did notice that a folder.jpg file in the folder doesn't. Not sure if others have a workaround for that. Mp3tag is excellent freeware that will embed the artwork if you don't mind the larger file sizes.
Yes, embedded album art displays, separate folder.jpg or cover.jpg files do not. Get some sort of file tag manager software and fix the stuff without embedded album art. FWIW if you resize the aa to reasonable sizes it doesn't add appreciably to the overall file sizes.

Hi Duck,

OK, thanks for saving me the trouble of testing cover.jpg for functionality.

None of my MP3's (by design) have tagged covers. It looks like we'll have to do without album art then, since I'm damned if I'll go back and retag 2000 albums...

Thanks again,

Ian