Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MP3 or Model S refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Currently have a 2021 Model Y LR and plan to give that to my wife. I have a reservation for Model S LR for $100k with EDD of Dec-Feb. While I can afford it, I never purchased a vehicle in that price range and with interest rates slowly climbing, I'm rethinking my decision and considering MP3.
Here are some factors. I work from home and drive about 11k miles a year. While I love MY LR, I never owned a sports car. Test drove both.
Pros to the S were ride quality, better looking, slightly faster acceleration, dual screens and more luxury feel. Cons: more expensive, larger vehicle, higher insurance costs.
Pros to the MP3 were slightly smoother than my MYLR, quick as hell, easier to park n maneuver, lower insurance costs, less expensive.
Cons: relatively same looks as the Y, lots of Model 3's on the roads where I live.

I know this is an apples to oranges comparison. But given my situation, any objective input would be greatly appreciated, so I dont drive my wife crazy going back n forth-:)
Should I cancel the S and get the MP3 now? Or just say YOLO, and get the S?

If the money doesn't bother you, I would absolutely suggest the Model S LR. The look, the better ride, larger battery, ( and that it's a less common car to own), outweigh the cons in my eyes- without factoring price of course. However, I currently own an M3P, and there's no denying the handling and sportiness of the lighter and smaller chassis is a lot of fun.

That said, if the price and interest rates play into the decision more, saving the money and getting the M3P is probably the better choice - lower running costs from insurance and original purchase add up, and its very fun to throw around and drive still. You also have the option of saving that money you would have spent up front and annually on the MS LR and saving it for a handful of years and trading the M3P+the savings into the next new Model S or another EV down the road because the entire industry is progressing so fast now anyway.

Reactions: Lindenwood
Thanks for the advice. With the recent price increase today, especially for S. I begin to wonder what the S will cost down the road making the MP3 the more viable option. My thought process is to get the S now and get it over with. Maybe I will just flip a coin lol.

Thanks for the advice. With the recent price increase today, especially for S. I begin to wonder what the S will cost down the road making the MP3 the more viable option. My thought process is to get the S now and get it over with. Maybe I will just flip a coin lol.
Definitely the price increases are a risk across the board, especially if the upgrade plan is on the table moving forwards. At the very least before making the call, price out the insurance and tires on both of them going forwards. Where I live the M3P is sub $1500/yr insurance and the MS around $2850.

I think the other factor to keep in mind is how you're going feel post-purchase. If you buy the M3P and are going to live with the regret of not having the MSLR, that legitimately interferes with your ability to enjoy your brand new car. Likewise that was a driving factor between the M3LR to M3P upgrade on my last purchase. Best of luck!

None at all! Its a fantastic car to drive, doesn't feel as heavy as it is and is very nimble and easy to get around in commuting traffic. Money well spent in my books, but then again I wouldn't be complaining with an MSLR either - both fantastic cars in their own ways.

Reactions: Jolee777
We have both an M3P and an MS Plaid in our garage. I love the interior of the MS much better, though the seats in the M3P are more comfortable imo.
I cannot compare performance for obvious reasons but in the handling department, I think that I would prefer the S to the M3P stock for stock, not sure. The S feels a bit more boaty, but the M3P stock feels a bit too cushiony for me and does not inspire confidence.

Reactions: Jolee777
Interesting perspective thanks! I recently test drove both with white seats but for some reason the MP3 seats felt more comfortable. The S felt more confident, steady when accelerating while MP3 felt nimble and quick. Tough decision given the $40k price difference. But at the same time trying to avoid buyer's remorse.

I hear ya. Already have the Y and love the storage n utility, decided to keep it rather than trade. I got it at 51k and think its a steal compared to what it costs today. I'm wanting another Tesla sedan for myself. Hence my dilemma. I wished they made a mid-sized sedan slotted in between the 3 and S. Either way I'm fortunate to even consider another Tesla given all the craziness going on in with inflation, price hikes and possible recession. Thanks all for your input 👍