Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPH speedometer wanted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes different dials and warning lights from Lotus. Three versions, kph for Europe / Canada etc, MPH with smaller kmh (UK only I think) and MPH / RPM (USA I think) . Either MPH one would do for me.

I was not aware they needed recalibration, I have one for when I move to Miami but I assumed it was a straight swap.
I just remembered reading that if the odometer is different from what the car believes to be the correct reading it needs reprogramming, i believe that is the biggest problem.

I was not aware they needed recalibration, I have one for when I move to Miami but I assumed it was a straight swap.
I just remembered reading that if the odometer is different from what the car believes to be the correct reading it needs reprogramming, i believe that is the biggest problem.

Yeah, it's a legal thing so you can't put in a new cluster and pretend your car has 15 mi instead of 15,000 mi

Yes, both the above are what I understand to be the case. Do we know if it will drive with an uncalibrated replacement speedo allowing me to fit a new one myself and then take it to Tesla to have the software bit done?

The dash will update the mileage when plugged back in since it is also contained in the VMS. That is as long as the dash has less miles- if you swap one from a car with more miles that the VMS states, you will get an ODO mismatch code.
reading those wise words Thanks @MLAUTO
I think it will be drivable

• Informative
Reactions: Roadster
Well I drove it today (on my own land) with no speedometer cluster and it was fine! My car has done 60k miles so it is unlikely that a replacement speedometer (if I can find a used one) will have a higher mileage.

Its a long shot and would take the work of some of the roadster experts and out there to do some tinkering and interfacing. there is a digital Plug and play instrument dash that is manufactured that fits the lotus Elise so the expensive cost of making it has already been done. Can some of the needed EV functions be done in place of the ICE one or just not used? I talked to Greg at GRP he sent a full wiring diagram to Peter at Gruber as possible future project for the roadsters. With Lotus going EV there may be a future unit that will cross over and can drop in if the keep basic car the same. It would be super neat up grade. This is far as I can take this possible upgrade is to throw it out here to the experts. All the dash parts and instrument cluster parts match in the two cars so it supposed to drop in ours, there has to be a lot of wiring harness that matches up for the shared functions they both have . its on my wish list.
2020-06-20 (2).png