Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP At Global Time Attack Superlap With A P3D! Nov 8/9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There needs to be a new class of racing that is EV but like British Touring Cup Cars.

BTCC style model 3 would be so bad, especially with full factory computer tuning.

Basically though, the AWD and RWD need a sport setting. I don't need full Track mode as I don't have the brakes for it but a Sport setting would be just right, a little more than Standard.

This would be great marketing... a modern version of race on Sunday and commute to work Monday using just electricity.

I also think rwd has lots of potential. Tesla can bump up a little bit more power to the rear motor, push track mode to the rwd, and then ditch the frunk for a large cooling solution to allow the rear motor to run at higher power. Can even have a modified hood that allows air in through the lower intakes, directs to a large cooling solution, then extract out through the hood.

Hope Elon is watching the thread.
I like this idea, but changes to the front airflow would likely mess up the very low drag of the Model 3, which in turn would reduce the efficiency and range. So that's probably not practical for a daily driver street car. Being able to run 6 full laps at full power using Track Mode without needing to cool down is probably enough for most time trials like this, high performance driving days, etc., and the performance reduction when the heat limit is reached is not very large.

Recovery from the heat soak is time or one cool down lap, where the latter is not uncommon for ICE cars driven on a race track too, so pretty functional.

There needs to be a new class of racing that is EV but like British Touring Cup Cars.

BTCC style model 3 would be so bad, especially with full factory computer tuning.

Basically though, the AWD and RWD need a sport setting. I don't need full Track mode as I don't have the brakes for it but a Sport setting would be just right, a little more than Standard.
Bigger brakes are needed for track use due to:

1. Their use in the traction/stability control in braking particular wheels to send torque to other wheels

2. For slowing down a car going faster into each turn.

In that sense, the cars (without the Performance Upgrade option or an aftermarket big brake kit) need a brake upgrade more than a traction control defeat for track use.

If you had something like a track mode allowing larger slip angles, higher speeds, etc., the resulting speed may overwhelm non-upgraded brakes within a lap or two max, depending on how hard you were pushing it. I think there are videos of brake fade on race tracks for Model 3s without brake upgrades.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Perry
Bigger brakes are needed for track use due to:

1. Their use in the traction/stability control in braking particular wheels to send torque to other wheels

2. For slowing down a car going faster into each turn.

In that sense, the cars (without the Performance Upgrade option or an aftermarket big brake kit) need a brake upgrade more than a traction control defeat for track use.

If you had something like a track mode allowing larger slip angles, higher speeds, etc., the resulting speed may overwhelm non-upgraded brakes within a lap or two max, depending on how hard you were pushing it. I think there are videos of brake fade on race tracks for Model 3s without brake upgrades.

I'd love to see a "track" or "sport" mode for RWD Model 3 that simply disabled traction control (or reduced it), thus easing the load on the brakes, and also added the increased cooling from the P3D Track Mode. I think the car would do okay with nothing more than upgraded brake pads in that case.

I'd love to see a "track" or "sport" mode for RWD Model 3 that simply disabled traction control (or reduced it), thus easing the load on the brakes, and also added the increased cooling from the P3D Track Mode. I think the car would do okay with nothing more than upgraded brake pads in that case.
Possibly. Have you seen Sasha's track videos of his modified Long Range Model 3? Keep in mind that his suspension, brake, wheel and tire and traction control defeat upgrades worked together to greatly improve track performance over stock.

Note that this is a modified Long Range Model 3, and it beat a BMW M3 track record, not a modified Model 3 Performance version, which would be much quicker.