Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP At Global Time Attack Superlap With A P3D! Nov 8/9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for the support, and sorry for the lack of posting so far today.

Great news, we got Track Mode! It's awesome. The best feature by far is that Track Mode cranks up the compressor and sheds heat from the system, even when charging. I can't explain how powerful this is. Even when on track we can attack for 2-3 laps, then do one cool down lap, and then attack again.

The cooldown time allows the car to fully chill the battery and motors resulting in the ability to attack again. Also on warm-up laps where on a standard Model 3 the motor and battery would still build up some level of heat, track mode works hard to allow the car to be ready to go when power gets turned up.

Buttonwillow is a very cool track, very challenging with a lot of compressions and aggressive curb hits. I really enjoy the flow here!

I've been doing the driving today and despite this being my first time here, we've already set the fastest time for this class ever since the tire rule was updated from 140 to 220. I did a 1:59.5xx in the last session during the heat of the day, so I'm confident a 1:58 will be possible however I likely won't be running tomorrow so we may not know for sure. I'm still finding time on the track as well. I'm sure Cameron will lay down a super fast lap as well. My original goals of a mid 1:50's lap were pretty optimistic!

Here's a quick clip from Instagram of this morning of the car on the hustle:

Mountain Pass Performance on Instagram: “Global Time Attack first practice session. Doing some setup work and we'll be at it again! #globaltimeattack #mountainpassperformance”

And some photos:

SuperLap_02.jpg

SuperLap_01.jpg

SuperLap_03.jpg

Super impressive! I was out there a few weeks back (see photo) with Tesla Corsa and me and the other P3D's could only get 2:14 to 2:18, ish. Mostly stock, though one guy had wider/stickier tires.

Definitely a very fun track and pretty throttle intensive for a Tesla, we were getting power limited only ~5 minutes into a 15 minute session and taking a slow lap didn't really result in much cooling. Great to hear that a cool-down lap is effective at getting the car ready to go again with track mode.

I think i'm going to have to visit again with Speedventures in December ;)

Is power consumption much more noticeable with track mode? Meaning it must drain battery much faster than with out it on.
Track mode presumably allows larger slip angles, uses individual wheel braking to send torque to different wheels, uses slight amounts of front or rear motor torque changes to add or remove torque from particular wheels, and uses more air conditioning to cool the system. Those all do require energy, but only a small fraction of the amount used to move the car. (Ironically the air conditioning may be the highest power draw.)

If so, any difference in battery drain due to track mode are probably relatively minor.

Any screen shots of track mode settings? How any power settings or just cooling? Seems like it trying to utilize torque vectoring by braking individual wheels.

Looks like a great event, wish I could have made it!

How does it feel with the stronger regen into corners? Is it much higher regen compared to non-track mode? I turned on Track Mode right after I got it last night (just in the garage, I'm not anywhere near a track to use it yet) and I definitely heard the BMS kick into overdrive cooling down the battery.

Someone ran a 01:59.188 in the Enthusiast AWD class. Looks like tough competition out there!
Is there a 220TW tire that everyone else is running?
Sasha beat that time this morning, but it won't officially count because he isn't the registered owner! We are doing everything we can to help Cameron have the drive of his life!

How does it feel with the stronger regen into corners? Is it much higher regen compared to non-track mode? I turned on Track Mode right after I got it last night (just in the garage, I'm not anywhere near a track to use it yet) and I definitely heard the BMS kick into overdrive cooling down the battery.

Track mode works great. I wouldn’t say I necessarily notice the regen on track, since on track you’re either on the power or on the brakes. You do notice the motors and stability control working with to pull you around the corners, though. It really helps improve lap times for non-Pro drivers.