Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP At Global Time Attack Superlap With A P3D! Nov 8/9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love it. Head down, humble, no protest to the last minute podium disqualification, come in next year with the EV rules "eased up" and show them THE FUTURE. Subbed and liked, you guys did a great job.
Thank you! Subaru guy may have won this round, but he only accelerated his demise. We bet there will be more Tesla's there next year looking to dethrone him.

Well done!
So, any ideas about how to improve the car?
Any thoughts on how much time could be cut by having taller gearing? The market for that modification would probably be super small.
The rules for enthusiast class seem a little odd with regards to engine modifications. It says that the car must be a registered street driven car but I doubt any of those Subarus are actually street legal in California. Like you said they’re probably 500+ HP.

Well done!
So, any ideas about how to improve the car?
Any thoughts on how much time could be cut by having taller gearing? The market for that modification would probably be super small.
The rules for enthusiast class seem a little odd with regards to engine modifications. It says that the car must be a registered street driven car but I doubt any of those Subarus are actually street legal in California. Like you said they’re probably 500+ HP.

Running taller tires would effectively improve the gearing for high speeds. The 18" wheels would be great for a tight course or autocross but actually hampered us by increasing the motor speed by the percentage of height difference of the tires. We would have benefitted from a proper racing wing, once we added the front spoiler the car became loose at high speed. A wing would balance it out nicely, but it is Cameron's daily driver so that won't be happening. We are working on plans for a properly built race car to upset much higher classes than Enthusiast AWD.

he 18" wheels would be great for a tight course or autocross but actually hampered us by increasing the motor speed by the percentage of height difference of the tires.

I see that the Tire you guys ran is approx. 2% smaller in diameter, in hindsight would it have been better to go with a 45 sidewall for a 2% increase in size, do you think that a 4% motor speed reduction would have helped as well as the increased load rating of the tire?

Last edited:
Running taller tires would effectively improve the gearing for high speeds. The 18" wheels would be great for a tight course or autocross but actually hampered us by increasing the motor speed by the percentage of height difference of the tires. We would have benefitted from a proper racing wing, once we added the front spoiler the car became loose at high speed. A wing would balance it out nicely, but it is Cameron's daily driver so that won't be happening. We are working on plans for a properly built race car to upset much higher classes than Enthusiast AWD.
A larger rear diffuser could also add some downforce at back. Agree a proper wing would be good too. I would probably use both, in addition to a longer front splitter.

Last edited:
So you switched to 18" from the stock 20" with the PUP, or did you order non-PUP?
Cameron went with a 18 to get the lightest wheel. (I think I don't see red calipers, so no PUO?) As Sasha pointed out, if you go with a wider tire it offsets some of the weight advantage of the smaller wheel. His 275/19 on Advan racing wheel came out about the same weight as the stock 235/18.

FWIW considering switching my PUP 20s for something lighter as I'm not a huge fan of the ~17 extra pounds per wheel.
Same. Long term I'm not using the heavy PUO wheels. Leaning to 19x9.5s for track use due to the largest selection of racing/soft compound 265-19 tires available.

(* PUP is confusing because many people used it to refer to the Premium interior option before. Also the correct name of the wheel, tire, brake, etc., upgrade on Model 3 Performance is Performance Upgrade option.)

Last edited:
I see that the Tire you guys ran is approx. 2% smaller in diameter, in hindsight would it have been better to go with a 45 sidewall for a 2% increase in size, do you think that 4% motor speed would have helped as well as the increased load rating of the tire?
A taller tire (or gears) would move more of the speed range of that track under the torque curve of the motors and therefore should be faster, everything else being equal.

Last edited: