Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP At Global Time Attack Superlap With A P3D! Nov 8/9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maximum allowed tire width in the class is 255 and only one aerodynamic element is allowed per end. So, either a diffuser, wing, or ducktail. Too bad they don’t allow heavier cars to have wider tires. Also wondering if there is a better 220TW tire than the 300TW PS4S (which make some compromises for comfort and efficiency).
I see that the winning time for the RWD class was 1:56.2 so I wouldn’t count on 1:59 holding up as the fastest time at this event in the future. The record AWD time is only 1 second slower than RWD (I guess that was with the old tire rules).

A larger rear diffuser could also add some downforce at back. Agree a proper wing would be good too. I would probably use both, in addition to a longer front splitter.
A proper wing would balance the car perfectly. The rules of the class mean you have to choose between a diffuser or a wing, but not both. We would be interested to see which has a better tradeoff of drag vs. downforce.

A proper wing would balance the car perfectly. The rules of the class mean you have to choose between a diffuser or a wing, but not both. We would be interested to see which has a better tradeoff of drag vs. downforce.
A tall wing would operate in the cleanest air but long struts and the endplates would add some drag. A diffuser might be lower drag but lower downforce also. If so, a wing might work better at slower tracks and a diffuser at faster tracks. Raise the corner speeds without too much high speed drag.

How large can the diffuser be? :)

Given how clean the airflow is around Model 3, might be able to use a less tall wing relatively near the trunk lid.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcbarnet007
Maximum allowed tire width in the class is 255 and only one aerodynamic element is allowed per end. So, either a diffuser, wing, or ducktail. Too bad they don’t allow heavier cars to have wider tires. Also wondering if there is a better 220TW tire than the 300TW PS4S (which make some compromises for comfort and efficiency).
I see that the winning time for the RWD class was 1:56.2 so I wouldn’t count on 1:59 holding up as the fastest time at this event in the future. The record AWD time is only 1 second slower than RWD (I guess that was with the old tire rules).

The RWD cars are allowed 285 tires all around, so maybe a super lightweight LR car with fender flares would be the hot setup ;)

Good stuff Sasha and Cameron. I couldn't resist arguing with some trolls in the comments of the video claiming they weren't impressed with the lap times. They tried to cite a stock Civic Type R rolling on RE71r's running a 1:57 at that track, but I had to point out that the RE's are much stickier than the 300TW PS4S and that stock F8x BMW M3's seem to run around 2:03 there. Those times are very good considering how close to stock the Tesla is and the daily driven tires.

• Love
Reactions: tracksyde and JeffC
The RWD cars are allowed 285 tires all around, so maybe a super lightweight LR car with fender flares would be the hot setup ;)
@MountainPass's testing at his home track seemed to indicate that traction at the front was the most lacking due to insufficient camber (and a lack of camber adjustment). Lacking camber adjustment he put wide tires up front and seemed to have better results. Due to the relatively balanced chassis on Model 3, wide rears and narrow fronts may not be as much of an advantage as on other cars and may understeer a lot. YMMV. :)