Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP AUG Update - Coilovers Shipping! Rear Rotors, Brake Pads, Brake Lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
Hey everyone!

I thought it was worthwhile to make a new post to share what we've got in the pipeline and what is available for the month of August. Things are really starting to heat up and there is even more in development than what I am going to mention in this post - we'll save those for September!

Media:

model3_likestoslide.jpg

If you haven't already seen the Speed Academy video and the video of our VSC / Traction disable device, be sure to check them out on YouTube. The Speed Academy views is just shy of 200k views now and the comments are quite entertaining :)

Speed Academy Video
Model 3 Drifting Video

Coilovers Shipping!

We are just a week or two away from the coilovers shipping now. There have been a few delays but we're on the final stretch now. Our first batch of sports coilovers are almost all sold out, but we still have some comfort coilovers available in this first batch. It may be up to 2-4 months before we can get another batch in - so not to sound like a used car salesman - just don't say we didn't tell you so if they sell out. We're still learning about the demand and how long it takes to re-stock, so there might be a fairly big gap on this first re-stock.

We can also offer our sports coilovers with the "comfort" springs - this is a good balance for anyone who wants the adjustability and premium finish of the Sports coilovers, but wants to tone it down over really rough broken roads. This is a good option if you drive in the city over really poor roads a lot.

You can read more about the coilover options we have available, and the rest of our suspension bits here:

Suspension | Mountain Pass Performance

Page Mill 2pc Slotted Rear Rotors:

MPP-Hat.jpg

We're producing slotted rear rotors that compliment our front 365mm big brake kit (which we sold out of really quickly, making more of those now too!). These discs are 2 pieces with an anodized aluminum hat, and curved vanes for improved cooling.

There is a very significant weight savings to be had with these discs, as even our 365mm rotors which are 45mm larger than stock, with our bracket and bolts are 2.5lb lighter per corner!

The cooling is significantly improved with the curved vanes - which, aside from the weight improvement, is the primary benefit to these discs vs OEM. The curved vanes turn the rotor into an air pump, which significantly reduces the temperature of the rotor when under high load. There is a good paper that studies this effect - there is my favorite graph from the paper:

Curved_Vs_Straight.jpg

Credit: C. Baron Saiz, T.Ingrassia, V.Nigrelli, V.Ricotta
Università degli Studi di Palermo
You can read the full paper here: http://www.gruppofrattura.it/pdf/rivista/numero34/numero_34_art_67.pdf

You can see the curved vanes offer about a 50degC reduction in temperature versus straight vaned discs. For a brake system that is already on the limit, that is a very noticeable improvement!

Our rear rotors are now available to order and should be shipping before the end of the month. I think we have about 5 sets still available, as we offered a pre-order to our existing customers first.

You can read more about them and order a set here:

MPP Page Mill 2 Piece Rear Rotor Kit

Page Mill Front Street Brake Pads:

Brake-Pad-Cover.jpg

We have been testing a new pad compound for street use, it is quiet, and low dust for those who want to replace their OEM pads with something more confidence inspiring that will handle some spirited driving. The major issue with commonly available pads right now is their thickness. Model 3 owners are forced to use a belt sander or mill 2mm off any pads that fit in the Brembo Caliper such as F40 pads. This is unhealthy to the user and increases the likelihood of uneven pad wear.

Originally we didn't plan on carrying any pads since we figured the aftermarket would be quick to offer a number of options, but so far there isn't much so we've started with these street pads for now. We can also have race compound pads ground down to the right thickness, so if you want a really aggressive set just let us know.

We're still working on the rear pads, they are more difficult to get made.

You can read more about the front pads and order here. These are obviously for the standard Model 3 only, not for the Brembo brakes on the Performance Performance (such silly naming Tesla, common!)

MPP Page Mill Street Front Brake Pads

Page Mill Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines:

Continuing with our focus of improving the performance of the Model 3 both on track and off, we will be offering brake hose upgrades made in U.S.A. OEM rubber hoses heat up and start expanding under spirited driving, and the rubber deteriorates over time. Our replacement not only gives you peace of mind, but improves pedal feel and braking performance even during daily driving - there is a more linear relationship between pedal effort and braking force.

Our lines are DOT certified, made with Teflon lined stainless steel hose, with the ends crimped on zinc-coated fitting and hardware. They are PVC coated Mountain Pass Performance Blue, to protect them further from any damage or fraying. Oh, and they also come with a lifetime guarantee!

The prototype set will be shipping to us next week and we are taking pre-orders now to determine how large our first order should be.

MPP Page Mill Stainless Steel Brake Lines PRE-ORDER

Page Mill 320mm 2pc Front Rotor - Pre-Order:

We are looking at offering the same curved vane 2pc rotor for the front for those that want to keep 18" wheels. We have a few pre-orders for them now, and if we get a few more we will go ahead and get them built. There is a huge reduction in weight and improvement in cooling, but we aren't going to advertise that the 320mm rotor will be enough for heavy track abuse. However, it would be a great option for anyone that wants to keep their 18" wheels and have a significant step up in braking performance.

Here's the link if you'd like to pre-order. Of course, if we decide not to go ahead with the rotors we will refund your pre-order.

MPP 320mm Front 2 Piece Rotor PRE-ORDER

That's about it for now. I'm staring at some other parts that I am tempted to tell you guys about right now, but since we have no idea when they will be available I'll keep that, along with an update on our VSC/Traction module for another few weeks until we can give you some solid details!

Thanks to everyone in the community for your continued support. The amount of kind and thoughtful emails we get every day is super encouraging and it's honestly making us push harder than ever to produce parts for these incredible cars.

At this point it's very clear that the Model 3 is ridiculously capable for some fast laps at the track - the time that we set with our Model 3 (1:18.9) is faster than many race prepared cars run at this local Time Attack circuit. In-fact my fully prepped racecar 350z did a 1:18 at the track many years ago, and that was fast enough for the RWD track record circa ~2010!! Let me be clear - the car is 100% a comfortable daily driven car, yet it competes with cars whose sole purpose it is to go as fast as possible around this track.

Oh and don't forget to grab some T-shirts from the store if you like what we're up to! We'll have a couple of new designs coming in the coming months.

MPP Gear | Mountain Pass Performance

TheFuture_Tee.jpg

@MountainPass,

Sasha....appreciate the update! What’s the progress on the Performance Coilover R&D? I have a P3D+ configured. Have you gotten your hands on a P3D to start working on tuning?
Had a quick Q on the difference in ride between the “Sport” and “Comfort” coilovers...I’ve read your site descriptions for each and there’s really no discernible differentiation in description between the two. I’m sure the Sports are tuned tighter and firmer compared to the comforts in rebound and damping. But can you please expound on this alittle?
I’m leaning more towards the Comforts but may switch to Sports. How would you describe each as it pertains to both ride and tuning?

Thanks Again Sasha!!!

We REALLY appreciate your contributions to the 3 and the EV community!!!

Thanks for a “Stepping Up”!

Ski

Reactions: Brian N
@MountainPass,

Sasha....appreciate the update! What’s the progress on the Performance Coilover R&D? I have a P3D+ configured. Have you gotten your hands on a P3D to start working on tuning?
Had a quick Q on the difference in ride between the “Sport” and “Comfort” coilovers...I’ve read your site descriptions for each and there’s really no discernible differentiation in description between the two. I’m sure the Sports are tuned tighter and firmer compared to the comforts in rebound and damping. But can you please expound on this alittle?
I’m leaning more towards the Comforts but may switch to Sports. How would you describe each as it pertains to both ride and tuning?

Thanks Again Sasha!!!

We REALLY appreciate your contributions to the 3 and the EV community!!!

Thanks for a “Stepping Up”!

Ski

It's our pleasure! Heres the differences:

The MPP Sports Coilovers are both compression and rebound adjustable, MPP Comfort comes set up ready to go, no adjustability.

Sports have stainless steel bodies, Comfort has zinc plated steel.

Both are height adjustable, and offer a far better ride than any lowering spring!

Ultimately, if you find yourself concerned with comfort or feel that the stock suspension is as firm as you would want, Comfort is for you. If you have driven some BMW M cars or other sports cars and enjoy a firm responsive ride, MPP Sports is for you! Our Sports Coilovers on the softest setting are very comfortable, but we wanted to offer a more budget-friendly way to lower your car and enjoy driving it.

Our P3D coilovers are being produced after this run of RWD coilovers is delivered. We don't have a solid timeline on them.

Please feel free to ask us any other questions you may have!

On another note, we have an awesome dyno day video being filmed today to bring you guys some useful data! Stay tuned!

• Love
Reactions: SD_Engnr
Have you done any 60-0 brake testing with your new pads?

I had to stomp on my brakes pretty hard this weekend on the highway and was not confident I would stop in time with about 6 or 7 car lengths at 65mph. It ended up stopping, barely, but I did not like the feeling. (Maybe I should have had Autopilot on) Once these tires wear out I plan on replacing with PS4S so that should help too.

Thank you!

I had to stomp on my brakes pretty hard this weekend on the highway and was not confident I would stop in time with about 6 or 7 car lengths at 65mph. It ended up stopping, barely, but I did not like the feeling. (Maybe I should have had Autopilot on) Once these tires wear out I plan on replacing with PS4S so that should help too.

Thank you!

We are just waiting on one more set of pads, then we will make a comparison of OEM vs aftermarket pads vs BBK! 60-0 brake testing is great data for everyone. Glad you didn't get in a rear end collision.

Reactions: MarkinArch
We're down in California for a few days going over our production dampers and wanted to post a few photos here for any of you that are interested. If you've been thinking about these sports coilovers it might be worth ordering as we only have a few sets left until the next batch comes in.

We can't wait to get these installed on our car. The quality is just what we'd expect from KW and the ride is even better than our prototype set as these have a few small tweaks from our prototype set. We also checked the ride height range today and it's exactly where we wanted it - from 10mm below OE ride height to as low as anyone would ever want to go!

Enjoy the photos, we'll have better ones coming soon with ride height photos, I promise.

And the link to order again: MPP Model 3 Sports Coilovers RWD
MPP-Dampers-01.jpg
MPP-Dampers-02.jpg

MPP-Dampers-04.jpg
MPP-Dampers-03.jpg

Thank you!

It's physically impossible for "better" pads to change your 60-0 stopping time for a single braking event on a modern/correctly working car- better tires on the other hand would do exactly that. The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

Brembo explicitly points this out in their FAQ regarding why they don't bother providing 60-0 stopping test data.

Where better pads would be useful (and presumably what MPPs testing is going to be so they can show the benefit of their products) would be when you're stopping from from speed the tenth time in a row, without any cooldown... at which point better pads will maintain the same stopping distance the original ones did, but over more such repeated stops before it begins to get longer from fade.

@Brian N - Thank you very much! We were equally impressed upon opening the first box. Really top flight stuff. It's certainly worth the wait.

@Msjulie - We don't have any group buys currently, we offer savings to those that are first to jump on our products. Anyone that placed a preorder on our coilovers received a pretty significant discount :) We do have discounted pricing for anyone purchasing our arms and coilovers at the same time, however!

It's our pleasure! Heres the differences:

The MPP Sports Coilovers are both compression and rebound adjustable, MPP Comfort comes set up ready to go, no adjustability.

Sports have stainless steel bodies, Comfort has zinc plated steel.

Both are height adjustable, and offer a far better ride than any lowering spring!

Ultimately, if you find yourself concerned with comfort or feel that the stock suspension is as firm as you would want, Comfort is for you. If you have driven some BMW M cars or other sports cars and enjoy a firm responsive ride, MPP Sports is for you! Our Sports Coilovers on the softest setting are very comfortable, but we wanted to offer a more budget-friendly way to lower your car and enjoy driving it.

Our P3D coilovers are being produced after this run of RWD coilovers is delivered. We don't have a solid timeline on them.

Sasha, I'm getting excited about the comfort coilovers!
Any idea when I can expect them to arrive?

Sasha, I'm getting excited about the comfort coilovers!
Any idea when I can expect them to arrive?

The Sports Coilovers were at KW HQ when we were in California last week, however, the Comforts were not. They didn't give us a date as to when they will arrive. We thought they would be shipping with the Sports! We are told they just need to make the springs.