Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP AWD/Performance Coilover Impression and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Rediscovering" this thread helped me to adjust my setup (comfort adjustables). There are a lot of good tips here. Thanks all!

My main motivation was to deal with some clunking noise at low speed over relatively small cracks. Jesse has been very helpful but everything I tried did not help. Then I started to adjust the rebound and compression. After a few tries I settled on 9c/8r and it helped reduce the clunking noise. It is probably partly real and partly because I like the new settings so much, which makes the residual noise much more tolerable in my mind.

This is somewhat surprising, as I was a little conerned over the kidney belt comment/joke by @dfwatt at 10c/8r :). Mine is not the sport coilver though. I was really glad I did the adjustment. The improvent from 12c/10r to 9c/8r even reminds me when I got the set first installed over the stock. Just firm and smooth, not harsh at all for street driving, and turning is so enjoyable. I now have to resist just going out for a spin at night (with my 50+ year old kidneys :).

"Rediscovering" this thread helped me to adjust my setup (comfort adjustables). There are a lot of good tips here. Thanks all!

My main motivation was to deal with some clunking noise at low speed over relatively small cracks. Jesse has been very helpful but everything I tried did not help. Then I started to adjust the rebound and compression. After a few tries I settled on 9c/8r and it helped reduce the clunking noise. It is probably partly real and partly because I like the new settings so much, which makes the residual noise much more tolerable in my mind.

This is somewhat surprising, as I was a little conerned over the kidney belt comment/joke by @dfwatt at 10c/8r :). Mine is not the sport coilver though. I was really glad I did the adjustment. The improvent from 12c/10r to 9c/8r even reminds me when I got the set first installed over the stock. Just firm and smooth, not harsh at all for street driving, and turning is so enjoyable. I now have to resist just going out for a spin at night (with my 50+ year old kidneys :).
The kidney belt was on my track suspension Lexus IS 350. With that you did need a kidney belt, but at 10 / 8 with the MPP sport coilovers it's still pretty supple. Firm and where large bumps cause large movements but it's still really comfortable overall

Reactions: yxm3
I tried the settings Jesse recommended, 9/8 front and 6/7 rear, and was amazed by the ability to get the back end to rotate (not in track mode). Turn in is super sharp and no understeer. A blast on my favorite road in the Hoosier National Forest. Around town I thought it was a bit jittery on poor roads. I bumped the front compression up 1 to 10/8 and the rear compression up 2 to 8/7. I left the rebound same, so it's easy to set (it's hard to get to the rear rebound on a lowered car) it feels great for spirited everyday driving. Best money spent!

I tried the settings Jesse recommended, 9/8 front and 6/7 rear, and was amazed by the ability to get the back end to rotate (not in track mode). Turn in is super sharp and no understeer. A blast on my favorite road in the Hoosier National Forest. Around town I thought it was a bit jittery on poor roads. I bumped the front compression up 1 to 10/8 and the rear compression up 2 to 8/7. I left the rebound same, so it's easy to set (it's hard to get to the rear rebound on a lowered car) it feels great for spirited everyday driving. Best money spent!
Thanks so much :) I have long arms so I am just able to lie down beside the car and reach up to the rebound adjuster in the rear. It hurts a bit but saves lots of time. I hope you have an amazing summer driving your car and thanks again for your support!