Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP AWD/Performance Coilover Impression and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not notice the set screw. I tried to turn the perch adjustment not knowing there was a set screw and moved it about a quarter turn. It was very hard to do. Knowing now that there is a set screw there and not loosening it, I probably did damage to the treads if this screw is tightened against the threads?

Can someone post a picture of where and how this set screw looks? I still can't find it.

You should be fine.
IMG_1415.jpg

I did not notice the set screw. I tried to turn the perch adjustment not knowing there was a set screw and moved it about a quarter turn. It was very hard to do. Knowing now that there is a set screw there and not loosening it, I probably did damage to the treads if this screw is tightened against the threads?

Can someone post a picture of where and how this set screw looks? I still can't find it.
175058d1312156140-kw-variant-3-coilovers-kw2.jpg

I got the MPP AWD Comfort Coilovers installed on my wife's P3D+ this week. As others have noted in this thread, getting the front low enough required setting the front spring perch adjuster much lower than the instructions stated. The rears were accurate. I set the fronts to +12mm offset which resulted in approx 14.9" hub to fender.

They ride quite nice and I have experienced no more noise than the stock suspension. The installation was easy and the components are quality pieces. Overall, happy with the purchase and the price is reasonable for what they are. Very glad I went with these over springs.

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_190902.jpg
    IMG_20190918_190902.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 173
I got the MPP AWD Comfort Coilovers installed on my wife's P3D+ this week. As others have noted in this thread, getting the front low enough required setting the front spring perch adjuster much lower than the instructions stated. The rears were accurate. I set the fronts to +12mm offset which resulted in approx 14.9" hub to fender.

They ride quite nice and I have experienced no more noise than the stock suspension. The installation was easy and the components are quality pieces. Overall, happy with the purchase and the price is reasonable for what they are. Very glad I went with these over springs.

Thanks for posting this – how would you characterize both ride and handling of this compared to the stock performance suspension? I have the sports coilovers on my P3 D+, curious how much improvement in either ride and/or handling I could get from putting this kit on my wife's P3 D+. The sports coilovers would be overkill for her, and she might actually appreciate if there is some improvement in ride on the comfort coilover kit. Her car hardly rides badly as it is, but I was wondering what your impressions are in relationship to small sharp bumps and impacts? It seems that most of the improvement that this coilover kit may offer was around the early generation rearwheel drive cars which had extremely stiff suspensions and I'm wondering if there's a really discernible difference relative to later cars such as our fall 2018 edition P3 D+, given the evidence that the performance cars also got some of the upgraded pieces after Tesla decided in the Spring of 2018 that the model 3 ride was in need of attention.

Reactions: MountainPass
Thanks for posting this – how would you characterize both ride and handling of this compared to the stock performance suspension? I have the sports coilovers on my P3 D+, curious how much improvement in either ride and/or handling I could get from putting this kit on my wife's P3 D+. The sports coilovers would be overkill for her, and she might actually appreciate if there is some improvement in ride on the comfort coilover kit. Her car hardly rides badly as it is, but I was wondering what your impressions are in relationship to small sharp bumps and impacts? It seems that most of the improvement that this coilover kit may offer was around the early generation rearwheel drive cars which had extremely stiff suspensions and I'm wondering if there's a really discernible difference relative to later cars such as our fall 2018 edition P3 D+, given the evidence that the performance cars also got some of the upgraded pieces after Tesla decided in the Spring of 2018 that the model 3 ride was in need of attention.

As far as ride quality is concerned, I can't really say it rides any better than the stock Performance suspension. My main complaint with the stock suspension is that it sits uncharacteristically high for what it is. Effeciency drastically improves by lowering the car (relatively speaking). I wanted to lower the car to both improve efficiency and reduce the cosmetically unappealing wheel gap. Springs could have accomplished this but at the cost of an uncomfortable ride and wearing out the struts/shocks prematurely. Hence the reason I settled on coilovers even though the cost is quite a bite more. Also having the ability to fine tune the ride height was important. My wife is definitely not looking for that slammed lifestyle lol.

Ultimately, I feel these coilovers achieved my goals, and my wife is happy. It's tough to say, and hard to compare, but I think the MPP's are marginally softer than stock. I would describe it as more plush and smooth. However, they do also seem to bottom out easier. There was a noticeable improvement in handling characteristics. The car is more planted and crisp. The biggest thumbs up for these is that I have not heard a single "strange" noise. They are just as quiet as stock. I cannot say this about my MCS Coils (though that's absolutely not their target market).

I honestly thinks it's going to be very tough for anyone else to compete in this segment at the price point. The fact that MPP isn't price gouging because it's for a Tesla should be celebrated. Coming from years of BMW ownership I was getting really tired of that.

Who knows, one day I might sneak her car out of the house to VIR and see how these compare to the MCS's on track.

I got the sports MPP coilovers for my P3D and they are softer than stock at the spec start out setting which is 10 rebound and 12 compression. My immediate reaction after being used to the stock was that these felt like riding on a cloud or air suspension but with good stiffness on cornering.

There is an uneven pavement immediately after a highway on-ramp I take every day where the asphalt meets the concrete for an overpass. I usually like to take that hop at around 100 miles an hour. The hop use to make the car's wheels briefly detach from the road and then land with a thud. With MPP the car never loses contact with the road. Instead it rebounds very quickly to stay tacked on the road and then compresses back very gracefully. The inverse is also true with dips I take at fast speed. I use to bottom out in the rear with a frame shaking bang. With MPP I have not been able to bottom out the rear since. Long turns at fast speeds, such as ones from a highway to another, are also impressive in how planted the car feels where as before it would repeatedly load-up then bounce back giving a sense of instability and loss of control. Higher speeds can now be achieved with more safety.

I set my height a little higher than what MPP recommends (370mm hub to fender all around) since I did not want to have problems with scraping and they still perform great. I will try 8/10 rebound/compression because the spec recommendation is a little soft for me now that I have used it for several months.

Last edited:
As far as ride quality is concerned, I can't really say it rides any better than the stock Performance suspension. My main complaint with the stock suspension is that it sits uncharacteristically high for what it is. Effeciency drastically improves by lowering the car (relatively speaking). I wanted to lower the car to both improve efficiency and reduce the cosmetically unappealing wheel gap. Springs could have accomplished this but at the cost of an uncomfortable ride and wearing out the struts/shocks prematurely. Hence the reason I settled on coilovers even though the cost is quite a bite more. Also having the ability to fine tune the ride height was important. My wife is definitely not looking for that slammed lifestyle lol.

Ultimately, I feel these coilovers achieved my goals, and my wife is happy. It's tough to say, and hard to compare, but I think the MPP's are marginally softer than stock. I would describe it as more plush and smooth. However, they do also seem to bottom out easier. There was a noticeable improvement in handling characteristics. The car is more planted and crisp. The biggest thumbs up for these is that I have not heard a single "strange" noise. They are just as quiet as stock. I cannot say this about my MCS Coils (though that's absolutely not their target market).

I honestly thinks it's going to be very tough for anyone else to compete in this segment at the price point. The fact that MPP isn't price gouging because it's for a Tesla should be celebrated. Coming from years of BMW ownership I was getting really tired of that.

Who knows, one day I might sneak her car out of the house to VIR and see how these compare to the MCS's on track.

That's helpful thank you very much. I think I'll put a pair on her car when I get some cash. The toy budget unfortunately has been depleted!

Reactions: MountainPass

I think a few of the perch heights were updated recent.

Untitled.png

Thanks for the wonderful feedback and kind words everyone. I can't tell you how good it feels to come and read these comments.

The Model 3 is such a great car and to be able to make it that little bit better, and to raise the level of enjoyment you all have with your cars is really meaningful to us.

Jesse and I are taking our two Model 3's to the track this weekend to give some gas-lovers rides, so hopefully we'll convert some of them :)

We'll be running my car with the sports coil-overs with soft springs - while this isn't ideal setup for fast tracks, I believe it will work fairly well on beginner "club" tracks without high speeds or large curbs or bumps in the track, and I think it is the ideal road-going setup from a comfort perspective. We will make the sports with soft springs an option on the website to make that easier to order moving forward as well.

• Love
Reactions: Skione65 and dfwatt
Just received mine today and will be installing this weekend. I did not receive any helper springs as previously mentioned they would be included in the package and then was up to our discretion whether to install them or the spacers. Did anyone else not receive the helper springs as part of the Sport Coilovers for the M3P?

Just received mine today and will be installing this weekend. I did not receive any helper springs as previously mentioned they would be included in the package and then was up to our discretion whether to install them or the spacers. Did anyone else not receive the helper springs as part of the Sport Coilovers for the M3P?

You could reach out to MPP but I'm pretty sure that all of the earlier kits just had the helper springs, then a batch of kits had both and now I suspect the kits just have the top columns. My kit for example had the helper springs in the main package and the columns in the supplementary package from MPP.

"We do not recommend using the tender spring - and our most recently shipped kits no longer include a tender spring."
MPP AWD/Performance Coilover Impression and Installation

I'm conflicted on If I should get comfort or sport coilovers. I don't plan on taking my car to the track. I'd like to have my car lower mainly for cosmetics while having an improve drive on comfort, handling and taking corners on spirited drives.

@MasterC17 says the handling is better with the comfort coilovers. How much more better is the handling then OEM's handling and cornering? While Masterc17 says he can't say the ride quality is better then stock/oem, @Perry says his Sport Coilover feels like riding on clouds. I thought the sport coilover was to be firmer and the ride would be harsher?

I'm confused!

Also another question, did any of you guys get rear camber arms?

I have sports with out camber arms. Alignment shop seemed to get it done with out them.
I like to drive spirited have the car set on recommend settings Haven’t messed with them just because it’s really my wife’s daily or I may set the car up a little firmer . And fun fact I got my first ride in the car as a passenger . Let’s just say I’m surprised noting is messed up...........