Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP AWD/Performance Coilover Impression and Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my last run, I did some runs that were high speed sweepers, and the 10/12 settings were not enough. Too much float at speed. I have since change to 8/10 and will see how that is this weekend. Not sure if sway bars would help with the high speed float when hitting bumps, but worth a shot?

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
On my last run, I did some runs that were high speed sweepers, and the 10/12 settings were not enough. Too much float at speed. I have since change to 8/10 and will see how that is this weekend. Not sure if sway bars would help with the high speed float when hitting bumps, but worth a shot?

That's where I have mine set 10/8. Seems pretty secure without being stiff.

Try these on for size:

Low Grip / Technical Track Damper Settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)

• Front Compression: 9
  • Front Rebound: 8
  • Rear Compression: 6
  • Rear Rebound: 7

Try these on for size:

Low Grip / Technical Track Damper Settings (clicks from full stiff – higher number is softer)
That might be a little stiff on the street, I will see how my new settings are. Thanks.
That's where I have mine set 10/8. Seems pretty secure without being stiff.
Thanks, it is definitely stiffer, but hopefully the best of both worlds.

Reactions: dfwatt
So, 10C/8R was very good today on the street. My tires were the only limitation. With new tires, I would feel better going 9/10ths. No mushiness going fast in the high speed sweepers, but the ride for every day is more like a Corvette. That is fine for me, but not for those wanting a Cadillac ride. I am thinking of adding sway bars to help things just a little more.

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW and vogz
I plan to auto-x this weekend and will start with the MPP recommended settings for low grip / technical tracks. I wonder if anyone has any preferences otherwise on a m3p with these coilovers?

Depending on the condition of the parking lot you could stay with those settings or go firmer if you can. I have a loose and fast AutoX style so I go firmer in the rear than the front to encourage rotation.

Reactions: dwalme
I needed to drive down the 5 fwy today to return some rims to have them machined properly, and was overwhelmed by the smooth ride over perhaps one of the worst freeways in southern California. Washboarding, pot holes, undulations, it was so smooth it made me take notice. I can say without trepidation that the MPP Sport Coilovers at street settings (12/10) are way better than stock and perhaps would even satisfy those with tender bottoms (you know who you are LOL).

I needed to drive down the 5 fwy today to return some rims to have them machined properly, and was overwhelmed by the smooth ride over perhaps one of the worst freeways in southern California. Washboarding, pot holes, undulations, it was so smooth it made me take notice. I can say without trepidation that the MPP Sport Coilovers at street settings (12/10) are way better than stock and perhaps would even satisfy those with tender bottoms (you know who you are LOL).

Totally agree with this.

So, 10C/8R was very good today on the street. My tires were the only limitation. With new tires, I would feel better going 9/10ths. No mushiness going fast in the high speed sweepers, but the ride for every day is more like a Corvette. That is fine for me, but not for those wanting a Cadillac ride. I am thinking of adding sway bars to help things just a little more.

That's where I have mine set as well. It's pretty firm kind of like a BMW M3, But still decent isolation. In other words very little harshness

Also at 10C/8R here. Firm yet controlled. Love the MPP Sports!

Was originally at the recommended street settings of 12C/10R. Might try 11C/9R as a compromise...
I am driving around at 12/12 right now and I still get excited driving through terrible city roads on them and asking my friends if they think the car is modified at all!

"Was originally at the recommended street settings of 12C/10R. Might try 11C/9R as a compromise..."

Im at recommended street settings but think im going to give 11/9 a try...getting used to pushing 12/10 pretty hard in the mountains so time to push toward stiffer....

If you want to start to feel some more of the road and get that lightning-fast response, you need to be at 8 or firmer on the rebound and compression. Generally speaking, the harshness comes from compression more than rebound for most of the common road obstructions (other than potholes) - so running something like 9C/7R will make a noticeable difference without taking much away from the ride quality.

While you'll certainly feel one click, if you're looking to party in the mountains you're going to want more!

Btw, KW definitely has different valvings from MPP. Not even close. All of those 12/10 talks...

Default for KW is F: 5C/8R R: 3C/9R on the same springs. And I have to say this setup is quite balanced at default, but it's weird choice. They have 12 clicks for compression and default is #3 for rear. I did #2 and that's like too big change already. There is just too big jumps if you want to go stiffer - I cant put my head on a headrest on a highway since its keep bouncing and hitting my head.

Anyway, one more reason to go for MPP valving - default is almost at the limit of softness and there are enough steps to find where is your preference.

Anyway, most who buy adjustable coilovers have no clue how to set them. Series of edicational blog posts about that would be real help. If there were remote controls - it's easy to do a/b comparison. When you need to lift a car to do a click, most keeping it default. Or taking a weekend trip on a track setup like idiots (me), because lazy.

Try these on for size:

Have been using this as my daily set up the last few days. Feels sooo much more stable but still so smooth and not jarring at all. I wonder if this would be ok to keep it at this setting as a daily driver. Where I live, the roads are fairly smooth. Would this put more stress on the tires and suspension components causing more wear?

Reactions: dfwatt and Skione65