Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover making ping sound when turning wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all staying safe out there!

First some background on why this happens - since the Model 3 uses a dual ball-joint lower connection to the knuckle, the lower control arm moves forwards and backwards slightly when stopped.

This causes the damper to move forwards and backwards as well, and sometimes if the spring is sitting in just the perfectly bad position, it will "ping" back and fourth as the steering goes from full lock and back.

The best solution we have found has been to lower the ride height collar all the way down, turn the spring 90 degrees, and then raise it back up.

We have tried using low friction shims and that sometimes solves the issue, but it also sometimes makes it worse as there ideally needs to be enough friction so the spring simply never moves - with low friction shims the friction is reduced so that the spring will always move, and unfortunately when it moves it sometimes still makes noise.

It's a tricky problem because it can change just by slightly moving the spring and be gone forever. So when we test different solutions we think we have it solved, and then suddenly we get an email at some point to let us know someone's dampers are making noise!

The comfort springs appear to have this issue more often, which makes sense as the spring isn't as stiff so it is easier for it to "pop" back and fourth.

Of course this is an annoying issue so we want to get it solved if you're having the problem. Let us know here or over email if you need any additional support!

I received new springs from MPP, but I am hesitant to take my coilovers apart, to install these as I don't think it will make a difference. I may try adjusting the spring as suggested.

It is a bit more comforting to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Just for info, I have KW V3 fitted to my M3P, and it occasionally pings when moving off whilst applying steering lock. With most coilover systems, you can sometimes experience some extra noise, and as long as it’s mechanically safe, it’s nothing to worry about. My previous BMW with Ohlins DFV did the same thing, and that had PTFE/stainless thrust washers fitted either end of the springs.

Reactions: beastmode13
Ours and KW's forks are forged aluminum with black anodizing. It is a bit of a dull finish so it can look composite in photos!

Nice! Any benefits with this anodized version versus the original unfinished aluminum version? Looks like there's just a single arm that goes around the half shaft, instead of the two arms (with one that bends) on the original version. Is the anodized version lighter?

Nice! Any benefits with this anodized version versus the original unfinished aluminum version? Looks like there's just a single arm that goes around the half shaft, instead of the two arms (with one that bends) on the original version. Is the anodized version lighter?
The first version was passivated stainless steel for the sports, and zinc-coated steel for the comforts. The benefit is that we don't have to make them ourselves and ship them separately anymore which was a massive headache! Making them was a huge ordeal.

The first version was passivated stainless steel for the sports, and zinc-coated steel for the comforts. The benefit is that we don't have to make them ourselves and ship them separately anymore which was a massive headache! Making them was a huge ordeal.

So the sports and comforts use the same forged aluminum black anodized forks now? I know previously there were user concerns for durability in snow/road salt regions between the sports and comforts. Is that no longer an issue? Are the shock bodies the same material between the two?

So the sports and comforts use the same forged aluminum black anodized forks now? I know previously there were user concerns for durability in snow/road salt regions between the sports and comforts. Is that no longer an issue? Are the shock bodies the same material between the two?

The damper bodies are still SS for Sports and plated steel for Comfort and the forks are anodized aluminum so they will also be very resistant to corrosion.

Reactions: gcmak
I received new springs from MPP, but I am hesitant to take my coilovers apart, to install these as I don't think it will make a difference. I may try adjusting the spring as suggested.

It is a bit more comforting to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this.

I finally had some time away from work to adjust my springs last night. I spun the collar all the way down, wiped the springs down, the top collar seat, the bottom seat, the collar and between the collar and the bottom spring seat. Spun the spring 90 degrees and spun the collar back up.

In the garage, turning the wheel from side to side full lock, I didn’t hear anything. A drive into a parking lot last night produced very little noise and seemed to have gone away after more parking lot turns. I will monitor it over the next week. So far it is much better. Does this mean that the spring is not evenly applying equal pressure all the way around the top and bottom seat?

I finally had some time away from work to adjust my springs last night. I spun the collar all the way down, wiped the springs down, the top collar seat, the bottom seat, the collar and between the collar and the bottom spring seat. Spun the spring 90 degrees and spun the collar back up.

In the garage, turning the wheel from side to side full lock, I didn’t hear anything. A drive into a parking lot last night produced very little noise and seemed to have gone away after more parking lot turns. I will monitor it over the next week. So far it is much better. Does this mean that the spring is not evenly applying equal pressure all the way around the top and bottom seat?
I haven’t drove the car much over the past few weeks during the SIP. I did drive the car today. The sound is back, but less pronounced. It does still move but less. The only thing is that it doesn’t have to be full lock left or right to make the sound anymore. I hear it at various turns now. Not sure what makes it do it less or more. Hot or cold weather?

@MountainPass thoughts or this is how it’s going to be?...

Just annoying still.

Hey guys, I’ve had the same issue as well, coincidentally only happening (as far as I know) on my front right.

I messaged Jesse about this through emails as well, interesting to see more people having the same issue. All my torques are lined up, I also haven’t been driving much at all, but I have lowered the ride height collar two times after, and haven’t heard the popping noise recently.

I maybe moved it 20mm lower than the original setting that had the ping/pop sound.

*on MPP sport coilovers

Last edited:
I haven’t drove the car much over the past few weeks during the SIP. I did drive the car today. The sound is back, but less pronounced. It does still move but less. The only thing is that it doesn’t have to be full lock left or right to make the sound anymore. I hear it at various turns now. Not sure what makes it do it less or more. Hot or cold weather?

@MountainPass thoughts or this is how it’s going to be?...

Just annoying still.

Did you install those new springs we ordered from Germany for you? We have managed to resolve it with perch/spring adjustments, so if you have tried everything and still have an issue it could be something funky with your springs. I have seen one spring out of all of the kits that was slightly misshapen, so it is a possibility.

We have also found that the complaints always come after a customer increases the ride-height themselves at home. The perch height shouldn't matter, but there does appear to be a correlation between higher ride heights and slight spring noises. The double ball joints on the Model 3 are proving a challenge to make perfectly silent. After speaking to KW about the noises, they advised that it is normal and occurs on other cars as well like the Audi A4 and their own Model 3 kit. Obviously we would not like to have any noises, so we just need to nail a procedure for raising the ride height after initial installation that won't aggravate it as we have been finding.

Did you install those new springs we ordered from Germany for you? We have managed to resolve it with perch/spring adjustments, so if you have tried everything and still have an issue it could be something funky with your springs. I have seen one spring out of all of the kits that was slightly misshapen, so it is a possibility.

We have also found that the complaints always come after a customer increases the ride-height themselves at home. The perch height shouldn't matter, but there does appear to be a correlation between higher ride heights and slight spring noises. The double ball joints on the Model 3 are proving a challenge to make perfectly silent. After speaking to KW about the noises, they advised that it is normal and occurs on other cars as well like the Audi A4 and their own Model 3 kit. Obviously we would not like to have any noises, so we just need to nail a procedure for raising the ride height after initial installation that won't aggravate it as we have been finding.

hey @MountainPass, I’m really debating if I want to swap the springs at this point since the sound is less pronounced. I have not done that yet, they are still in the box. When I was adjusting the spring last time, I actually lowered the car by another 3mm. I’ve been thinking of just returning those springs, as I don’t really think it would help. I do hear it from both sides, so I doubt the springs are going to help. Thanks for the response.