Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover making ping sound when turning wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used swift thrust sheets either end of the springs on the Ohlins DFV I had on my previous BMW, and they still made noise turning at low speed.

The KW’s I fitted do the same, just the occasional small ping noise when turning the wheel a lot at walking pace, when I pull off my drive for example. It’s such a small noise, and so infrequent, it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I don’t hear anything when pulling out of junctions on the road.

Yeah, my first instinct was to lube it. Don’t know if the installing shop did so at install or just had greasy hands. May be wise to include a statement in the install instructions. A can of brake cleaner was effective. Probably more effective if I disassembled, but not going to that length.

Yeah, my first instinct was to lube it. Don’t know if the installing shop did so at install or just had greasy hands. May be wise to include a statement in the install instructions. A can of brake cleaner was effective. Probably more effective if I disassembled, but not going to that length.
I agree, we need to add it to the instructions, which I will do right now!

It is actually making sense now that the pinging noise often follows a height adjustment (usually upwards). It can get difficult to turn the perch upwards when fighting the spring, so I think people may be resorting to spraying lubricant on it to make it easier.

Lowered the front about 10mm and the pinging is back, louder than initial. I’m going to try to spray brake cleaner as suggested above and will report back later. Although I don’t think it was ever lubricated in the first place so not sure if that would really help.

Update: I took the thrust rings out that was provided to try and sprayed it down with brake cleaner. Initially, it went back to the noise level I originally had. About two days, the left side has gone silent. No pings. The right side still has pings but not as pronounced. I’m going to give it one more spray of brake cleaner the next time I have my wheels off.

thanks Jesse for periodically checking in with me on this.

I wouldn’t. I think it penetrates fine and I don’t think you can unload the spring completely to expose the surfaces anyway. I also think every time it pings it snaps toward a natural center position of high friction. Moving it around may cause it to have to ping more to find that center position again.

I wouldn’t. I think it penetrates fine and I don’t think you can unload the spring completely to expose the surfaces anyway. I also think every time it pings it snaps toward a natural center position of high friction. Moving it around may cause it to have to ping more to find that center position again.
You can unload spring completely if your wheel is in the air. Just make sure that you're not miscounting turns...

Wanted to update this thread. I appreciate Jesse sticking with me through all of this. I took the coilovers off and sprayed the mating surfaces between the spring and the perches with brake cleaner. Wiped them down thoroughly. Put them back on, and the springs stopped moving by a lot. I then sprayed them down the next time I had my wheels off. This time, the remaining movement had has gone away. Looks like any grease or lubricant that comes into contact can cause the spring to move. Spraying it down with brake cleaner has solved the issue for me.

Thanks again to Jesse and his team for the great support. I can wholeheartedly say I recommend MPP products with their awesome support.