Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover making ping sound when turning wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have the fronts at 4mm above MPP recommended starting height giving me 3 full fingers gap. I usually have the shop do it but maybe I can try lowering it first to see if it can seat the spring better. How do you lower the front coilovers? Does the load and wheels need to be off?

Last edited:
I do have the fronts at 4mm above MPP recommended starting height giving me 3 full fingers gap. I usually have the shop do it but maybe I can try lowering it first to see if it can seat the spring better. How do you lower the front coilovers? Does the load and wheels need to be off?
i had the ping maybe first week after getting the coilovers and then it went away

I sit quite low - it's still pinging. I don't see how sitting lower or higher can influence that. Rough edges of the spring is a problem.

I think the coilover is just missing a spring seat which some others have which would prevent binding. Attached a pic for reference.

Attachments

• 2890FAD5-623B-48ED-A4D6-2C332FB85FE1.jpeg
    2890FAD5-623B-48ED-A4D6-2C332FB85FE1.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: bcpm3p
So this is a common problem? Its concerning, i was going to order these because i heard such great reviews before i read this thread smh
Don’t get me wrong. These coilovers are awesome and are a minimum in lowering your car. I went from springs and these are worlds better in shock absorption. Most notable from springs to these is the hard freeway crashing sensation is gone. With the springs, during hard freeway impacts such as expansion joints and elevation changes you feel like you’re thrown up and abruptly thrown back down. Kind of feels like you’re free falling for a split second if I’d had to describe the feeling. The crashes are also violent at times at freeway speeds but all that is minimized with matching dampers. I’m glad I made the switch back to coilovers. Just hoping I can get the pinging sound resolved.

Rough edges are the problem if you want them to slide without friction. They are the solution if you want them not to spin.
As I've said - it's either should bind hard or slide freely. It's obviously made to slide, but for some of us it's just doesn't, because perch plastic is not low friction self lubricating like Teflon.

So this is a common problem? Its concerning, i was going to order these because i heard such great reviews before i read this thread smh
It's really minor thing, to be honest. Happens only at parking speeds when you turn to the limit. And, again, MPP potentially can step up and go above what KW did and do Teflon rings.

• Informative
Mash, don’t forget that KW originally intended the helper springs to rest on that perch. I don’t think the plastic was selected for its lubricity. I assume my don’t break free. I do acknowledge that low friction could also be a solution.

Mash, don’t forget that KW originally intended the helper springs to rest on that perch. I don’t think the plastic was selected for its lubricity. I assume my don’t break free. I do acknowledge that low friction could also be a solution.
I believe that KW very rarely uses helper springs. Plus helper springs won't solve pinging, it adds more clunks instead. It's just most cars don't really rotate springs that much, so KW never bothered.

Today we had a lot of rains here, so no pinging. When it will dry - it will start again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Update: MPP sent me Teflon rings, but it didn’t seem to work. It allows for more movement, but it’s not buttery smooth so it’s not going to move freely. I still here the pings, even a bit more now. Debating on taking them back out. I let Jesse know. He says to hang tight. He will get back to me.

• Informative
Update: MPP sent me Teflon rings, but it didn’t seem to work. It allows for more movement, but it’s not buttery smooth so it’s not going to move freely. I still here the pings, even a bit more now. Debating on taking them back out. I let Jesse know. He says to hang tight. He will get back to me.
Is it with stainless rings like Swift? Is it top and bottom? Can you rotate loaded spring by hands?

It's great that they search for solution, but somebody have to be guinea pig, unfortunately. It looks like it doesn't happen with many sets for them to test it in-house. And since we are using stock mounts - it can be the reason of difference without KW fault...

Also, Eibach uses completely different approach to the problem, don't know which one is better.

We have roughly 1 in 100 kits doing this, so it has been difficult to resolve since we haven't been able to make the noise on any of our development cars. @Mash is right, either the spring needs to stay still or spin very freely. We have tried the swift thrust sheets but with the weight of the car on them they still don't spin smoothly and the ping remains. The only way for it to spin freely would be using bearings, but they are exposed and would be ruined by street driving. The spring needs to not move at all, and we have found often that customers (or shops) are spraying lubricants all over them during the installation. Making sure they are clean and dry should resolve it, and the dirt and dust from driving on the road will also help to keep the spring still as time goes on.

We have roughly 1 in 100 kits doing this, so it has been difficult to resolve since we haven't been able to make the noise on any of our development cars. @Mash is right, either the spring needs to stay still or spin very freely. We have tried the swift thrust sheets but with the weight of the car on them they still don't spin smoothly and the ping remains. The only way for it to spin freely would be using bearings, but they are exposed and would be ruined by street driving. The spring needs to not move at all, and we have found often that customers (or shops) are spraying lubricants all over them during the installation. Making sure they are clean and dry should resolve it, and the dirt and dust from driving on the road will also help to keep the spring still as time goes on.

And knowing my luck I'll be the 1 in 100 that has the issue. I really hope you guys come up with a solution. I was dead set on this kit so i'm very interested in how this turns out. From everything I've been reading about MPP I'm confident you guys will come up with an overall solution.