Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My installer said they would not go any lower. I'm not an expert just repeating what they told me.

MPP is sending out a part that they had made at their own expense to resolve the creaking issue. Will have that installed next week and report back. Very satisfied they were able to take care of the issue quickly!

MPP is sending out a part that they had made at their own expense to resolve the creaking issue. Will have that installed next week and report back. Very satisfied they were able to take care of the issue quickly!

Yes, I echo this as well. MPP, namely Jesse, has been consummate professionals in how they have handled this issue. They've been very quick to respond and have seemingly gone out of their way to resolve it as quickly and as humanly possible on their end. I am looking forward to finally getting these creaking noises resolved.

Yes, I echo this as well. MPP, namely Jesse, has been consummate professionals in how they have handled this issue. They've been very quick to respond and have seemingly gone out of their way to resolve it as quickly and as humanly possible on their end. I am looking forward to finally getting these creaking noises resolved.

But nobody seems to have a clue at least on the Forum as to what the cause of this creaking noise is? It surely must be known at this point particularly if Mountain Pass has a fix? So what is the story on this? And is this an issue for both comfort and Sport coilover kits?

The issue is with a KW part (the little tender spring). This wasn't a part that MPP produced, but they figured out a way to fix it!

It doesn't stack up straight, so it sits at an angle and makes contact with the top hat. To their credit, MPP has designed an adapter to eliminate that tender spring and also using the stock top hat to fix the issue. Going forward, the entire kit is going to be MPP parts except for the damper.

Reactions: dfwatt
The issue is with a KW part (the little tender spring). This wasn't a part that MPP produced, but they figured out a way to fix it!

It doesn't stack up straight, so it sits at an angle and makes contact with the top hat. To their credit, MPP has designed an adapter to eliminate that tender spring and also using the stock top hat to fix the issue. Going forward, the entire kit is going to be MPP parts except for the damper.

Yes, and they did it out of their own pocket as well.

So what is the story on this? And is this an issue for both comfort and Sport coilover kits?

I don't know the exact story from the manufacture/vendor end, but I posted about the sound in this thread:

Suspension Noise Help

I don't know the prevalence of this being an issue for both the Sport and Comfort kits, but mine is Comfort. Including @pdxrunr, there is one other person I know of with Comfort that experienced this as well from either this forum or the Tesla Owners Online forum.

Last edited:
But nobody seems to have a clue at least on the Forum as to what the cause of this creaking noise is? It surely must be known at this point particularly if Mountain Pass has a fix? So what is the story on this? And is this an issue for both comfort and Sport coilover kits?

We have recently had some Comfort customers report creaking. The tender springs can potentially not stack up perfectly straight, which puts the main spring off center. We brought the issue to KW, but it seems there is nothing they can/will do. To resolve the problem with their tender springs we had to pay ourselves to machine and ship custom parts to eliminate the tender springs and improve alignment. We will be shipping these parts with every kit (Sport/Comfort/RWD/AWD). The kits function the exact same as before.

We have recently had some Comfort customers report creaking. The tender springs can potentially not stack up perfectly straight, which puts the main spring off center. We brought the issue to KW, but it seems there is nothing they can/will do. To resolve the problem with their tender springs we had to pay ourselves to machine and ship custom parts to eliminate the tender springs and improve alignment. We will be shipping these parts with every kit (Sport/Comfort/RWD/AWD). The kits function the exact same as before.

Thanks for clarifying that. I literally just got the first half of my sport coilover kit delivered yesterday. I assumed that that has the fix for this issue included? Is there any change to the instructions online that I should pass on to the installer around this? Thanks again for your great service and integrity!

MPP should pay any labor costs to retrofit their creaking coilovers.

From a products liability standpoint (my gf is currently studying for the Bar exam so I consulted her about it), at least in California, all parties involved are technically liable, which means KW is responsible too since they manufacture the parts. So if anyone wants to make a case for anyone other than themselves (the customer) having to pay any retrofit install fees, then one would have to go through small claims court to get MPP and/or KW pay.

To be frank, I don't think that's worth it and would just further lengthen the time (not to mention the amount of energy) spent of having to deal with this situation. There's an old saying in the mod/tuning community when I was part of the VAG (VW/audi) community, "you have to pay to play." This implies that whenever you go out of your way to purchase modifications or to tune your car from any OEM specs, you have to be ready to face the consequences if something does not go right. You may not be directly liable as a consumer, nor does it absolve vendors/manufacturers of their accountability, but you have to accept the consequences and deal with it as best as you see fit, whether you take small or extreme measures to get the situation resolved. In my case, I am willing to be patient and work with MPP knowing that they are very willing to make things right on their end to the extent that they have addressed this issue as quickly as possible and out of their own pocket.

Reactions: dmd2005
Thanks for clarifying that. I literally just got the first half of my sport coilover kit delivered yesterday. I assumed that that has the fix for this issue included? Is there any change to the instructions online that I should pass on to the installer around this? Thanks again for your great service and integrity!
The new parts are being sent with your damper forks! We are updating the instructions as well, but we are adding a bit more to them so it will not be immediate.

From a products liability standpoint (my gf is currently studying for the Bar exam so I consulted her about it), at least in California, all parties involved are technically liable, which means KW is responsible too since they manufacture the parts. So if anyone wants to make a case for anyone other than themselves (the customer) having to pay any retrofit install fees, then one would have to go through small claims court to get MPP and/or KW pay.

To be frank, I don't think that's worth it and would just further lengthen the time (not to mention the amount of energy) spent of having to deal with this situation. There's an old saying in the mod/tuning community when I was part of the VAG (VW/audi) community, "you have to pay to play." This implies that whenever you go out of your way to purchase modifications or to tune your car from any OEM specs, you have to be ready to face the consequences if something does not go right. You may not be directly liable as a consumer, nor does it absolve vendors/manufacturers of their accountability, but you have to accept the consequences and deal with it as best as you see fit, whether you take small or extreme measures to get the situation resolved. In my case, I am willing to be patient and work with MPP knowing that they are very willing to make things right on their end to the extent that they have addressed this issue as quickly as possible and out of their own pocket.

It's pretty clear that when you buy a product, you are in a sense betting on the integrity and ethics of the manufacturer and producer. I'm not alone I'm sure in my high regard for the Integrity of Mountain Pass performance. Problems happen. Decent and ethical Merchants try to square those up. Unethical ones don't. It's pretty obvious that MPP has tried to square this up and gone out of their way to do so. I don't think you can ask for more than that

Thanks again for your great service and integrity!

I actually think we are very fortunate to have a relatively small start-up tuning company exclusive to our cars that are capable of addressing any issues right away. Imagine if this were KW themselves with a global customer-base encompassing numerous car manufacturers, how quickly they would be able to address any known issue, big or small. So yes, I definitely appreciate MPP's service and integrity.

Also, I should note that this noise issue does not affect the outstanding functionality of my Comfort coilovers overall. I'm still very satisfied with the overall improved ride quality over stock. I would not change my recommendation for these Comforts one bit.

Last edited:
From a products liability standpoint (my gf is currently studying for the Bar exam so I consulted her about it), at least in California, all parties involved are technically liable, which means KW is responsible too since they manufacture the parts.
Oops! Not a good sign for your gf. Products liability law does not apply to this situation. I have been a products liability lawyer for 40 years. It would be a warranty case, express and implied, against MPP only. But don’t freak her out.

Oops! Not a good sign for your gf. Products liability law does not apply to this situation. I have been a products liability lawyer for 40 years. It would be a warranty case, express and implied, against MPP only. But don’t freak her out.

Yikes...well, I was paraphrasing so duly noted. But please enlighten us more, counselor, what you would advise a potential client in this situation.

Btw: I brought this to her attention and she duly acknowledged it, so thanks for helping her out in that regard.

Last edited:
Yikes...well, I was paraphrasing so duly noted. But please enlighten us more, counselor, what you would advise a potential client in this situation.

Btw: I brought this to her attention and she duly acknowledged it, so thanks for helping her out in that regard.

The only practical approach is to encourage MPP here and elsewhere, publicly, to do the right thing, and let everyone know what happens.

It looks like you haven't really read the whole thread. Or the other threads where this issue was discussed. They have already taken care of the problem. At their expense.

We were discussing whether MPP would pay for the labor cost of fixing the squeak, at your installation shop. I haven’t seen MPP address that. All I have seen is that they are supplying the parts to fix it.

We were discussing whether MPP would pay for the labor cost of fixing the squeak, at your installation shop. I haven’t seen MPP address that. All I have seen is that they are supplying the parts to fix it.
That is unheard of in the aftermarket parts industry. Ask around and see how many people were written a cheque for the labour on their creaking and rattling lowering springs.

We care a lot, but we have seen firsthand how many shops love to overcharge Tesla owners for installs and we will not support that. We know how long it takes to install our own parts, and regularly see customers getting charged for twice the amount of time it actually takes. It takes me 20 minutes to install the updated piece using a floor jack and hand tools. We would be happy to offer any customers that need to have this fix done a gift card for the appropriate amount, just shoot us an email with your order number and we will take care of it.

Love,

MPP Team