Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone MPP is out of the office and I'm currently waiting at the shop for these spacers to get installed. I needed to confirm if the adding the new spacers will raise the height, does anyone know? Will I need to adjust the rears accordingly?

My installer finished the work (loving the Comfort Coilovers so far - review and photos to follow!) but when I turn the wheels lock-to-lock, I get some clunking sounds. This happens just stationary. No clunking from vertical motion.

Can anyone guess?

Going to have the shop take a look but not until MPP gets back to me.

Reactions: P-Lo801
My installer finished the work (loving the Comfort Coilovers so far - review and photos to follow!) but when I turn the wheels lock-to-lock, I get some clunking sounds. This happens just stationary. No clunking from vertical motion.

Can anyone guess?

Glad you love them! I haven't noticed any issues, but i'll try to turn mine while stationary and will report back.

Reactions: superbaka
Installed my AWD comforts this weekend, pretty straight forward and easy install. One tip for people installing these themselves is with the new spring spacer you pretty much have to set the fronts to either maxed out or less than 10mm from being maxed out for the car to have little to no wheel gap between the tire and the fender. The car handles better than stock and feels more sporty and controlled turning. Will post some pics once I get my wheels and height dialed in.

Reactions: dfwatt
Installed my AWD comforts this weekend, pretty straight forward and easy install. One tip for people installing these themselves is with the new spring spacer you pretty much have to set the fronts to either maxed out or less than 10mm from being maxed out for the car to have little to no wheel gap between the tire and the fender. The car handles better than stock and feels more sporty and controlled turning. Will post some pics once I get my wheels and height dialed in.

@DNorris89,

I’m not understanding this. When you say ‘set the fronts to maxed out’ does this mean it leaves you with no “adjustment” range anymore? What are you ‘maxing out’....the drop, the height?Can you explain this in more detail to make it clear to me?

Ski

Had my MPP Comforts and MPP rear camber arms installed on my P3D today. About 55 miles on them and I'm thrilled with most of it. I was told to put some miles on it, then bring it back to the shop to measure it again after it settled a bit. Doing that tomorrow along with an alignment. It's as low as they will go. Love the look and the ride. Mine are suffering from the "creaking". I even told them about about the springs and how to install them, but both fronts are making that noise at low speeds. I know they are going to tell me to let them settle some more, but I'm not convinced it will go away, but I guess time will tell. I will bring it up so they are aware and can try to fix it later if it doesn't go away.

The good stuff:

1. Looks fantastic.
2. Ride is good, I would say just a bit firmer than stock, but they did add about 3 lbs of air to the tires, so I need to remove that and test again, but it's fine.
3. Turn in is quicker, smoother, and has much less under steer now at higher cornering speeds.
4. The P has so much torque it never really felt planted enough for to really push it. Now, it feels so much more solid and at full power it feels much more in control and planted. Loving that!

Overall, I highly recommend them. I hope the creaking can be resolved as that is really the only thing I'm not happy with at the moment.

P.S. I have the unicorn "P" that you could initially order without the brakes, 20" wheels, and spoiler, so the fender gap was the same horrible gap as the AWD cars.
View attachment 418284 View attachment 418285 View attachment 418286

Maxed out meaning no room to go lower. This is what it'll look like. I have 0 noises however. Very happy with mine.

IMG_20190708_095208.jpg
I finally got my first alignment since getting the MPP comforts installed. I waited two months to do this because I wanted to wait until I got the creaking issue resolved, and there were hardly any places that had the specs for the model 3 except for Tesla service, until I discovered my local Big O Tires had them. Here are the alignment specs. Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

• IMG_20190708_095208.jpg
    IMG_20190708_095208.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 76

Can anyone guess?

Hi,
If you have had the comfort coilovers for some time now can you comment on the ride quality change? I'm interested in a less bumpy ride on my Model 3. I don't want to lower the car. Just a smoother ride. Can you (or anyone) comment on how significant of an improvement you feel on the ride with the comfort coilovers? Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: tkc9789
View attachment 427539 I finally got my first alignment since getting the MPP comforts installed. I waited two months to do this because I wanted to wait until I got the creaking issue resolved, and there were hardly any places that had the specs for the model 3 except for Tesla service, until I discovered my local Big O Tires had them. Here are the alignment specs. Let me know what you all think.

Hi can you comment on how much better the ride quality is with the comfort coilovers? I am only interested in that and not lowering my Model 3. Thanks.

Hi can you comment on how much better the ride quality is with the comfort coilovers? I am only interested in that and not lowering my Model 3. Thanks.

Hey, I already commented a few pages back, as well as many others if you're willing to take the time to read them: MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

I unfortunately cannot comment on how they would ride if you kept them at stock height because I have mine set to about an inch lower than stock.

I recommend contacting @MountainPass for their thoughts on how stock height would feel with their coilovers.

Hey, I already commented a few pages back, as well as many others if you're willing to take the time to read them: MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

I unfortunately cannot comment on how they would ride if you kept them at stock height because I have mine set to about an inch lower than stock.

I recommend contacting @MountainPass for their thoughts on how stock height would feel with their coilovers.

Pretty unlikely that lowering the car an inch changes ride much at all.

Reactions: P-Lo801
Hi,
If you have had the comfort coilovers for some time now can you comment on the ride quality change? I'm interested in a less bumpy ride on my Model 3. I don't want to lower the car. Just a smoother ride. Can you (or anyone) comment on how significant of an improvement you feel on the ride with the comfort coilovers? Thanks.

I've been meaning to post a longer review, but I can summarize it quickly.

First, you need at least 500 miles for everything to settle. It begins very stiff but softens up.

Overall, I wish the spring were stiffer and the dampers were softer. The springs are basically identical to OEM in terms of body roll, but there are less artifacts, less wobbles, and a cleaner ride. But they are not sporty or stiff at all. I wish they were, but its not a huge deal.

The new dampers will absorb a vast majority of small cracks in the road which they did not with OEM, however when you hit the larger cracks and bumps, you get the same bump-stop "GUNG!" you did before. Its just that now it occurs 5-20% of the time you hit a crack or bump instead of 90% of the time. Part of it is that the Tesla chassis has very little sound absorption, so you hear that cheap knocking suspension sound that other cars don't. Coilovers can't control that. The other part is that the dampers are valved very stiff with less travel than most OEM cars have, so they still reach the bump stops if the road is shitty enough. Nevertheless, you will get a better ride. No doubt about it. If you drive on "pretty good" roads, you will have a good ride and not think about it anymore. If you drive on bad roads like I often do, it will be ok for a lot of people, but not GREAT.

MPP explained to me they limited the damper travel for people who want to slam their cars - too much travel, and the wheels would hit the fenders. But if they could increase the travel and soften the dampers, it would be on par with a modern car of its class.I drive every day in my girlfriend's 2018 GTI, and although that car wobbles around a lot more than mine, the dampers on a bad road absorb way more. I guess it just translates the bumps into the chassis, which then absorbs the rest of the shock. So in her car, you get a little nauseous on a bad road, but you don't get the "GUNG GUNG" experience. Pick your poison.

So with the MPP Comforts, you get a chassis that is pretty damn smooth and clean, but dampers that still give you a fair amount of banging on the cracks and potholes. I still classify this as a suburb-friendly car and not a city-friendly car.

But would I go back to the OEM dampers? Hell no! Those were just unacceptable. This are .. mostly pretty much acceptable. And if you often drive on pretty good roads, you will find them very acceptable.

But if I were to test drive the car today for the very first time with the MPP Comforts, well to be honest, I would still rate the ride quality below the competitors - I might have to think about it, I might not notice right away, and I wouldn't freak out about it like I did with OEM.

MPP said they may consider a real "comfort" upgrade for people like us who don't want to lower their cars. They said they were shocked to see the bad roads in California and it wasn't something they thought about until recently. All they need to do is give it an extra inch of damper travel and slightly softer valving, and then tighten up the springs...and IMO it will feel totally awesome, like Audi-level ride.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to post a longer review, but I can summarize it quickly.

First, you need at least 500 miles for everything to settle. It begins very stiff but softens up.

Overall, I wish the spring were stiffer and the dampers were softer. The springs are basically identical to OEM in terms of body roll, but there are less artifacts, less wobbles, and a cleaner ride. But they are not sporty or stiff at all. I wish they were, but its not a huge deal.

The new dampers will absorb a vast majority of small cracks in the road which they did not with OEM, however when you hit the larger cracks and bumps, you get the same bump-stop "GUNG!" you did before. Its just that now it occurs 5-20% of the time you hit a crack or bump instead of 90% of the time. Part of it is that the Tesla chassis has very little sound absorption, so you hear that cheap knocking suspension sound that other cars don't. Coilovers can't control that. The other part is that the dampers are valved very stiff with less travel than most OEM cars have, so they still reach the bump stops if the road is shitty enough. Nevertheless, you will get a better ride. No doubt about it. If you drive on "pretty good" roads, you will have a good ride and not think about it anymore. If you drive on bad roads like I often do, it will be ok for a lot of people, but not GREAT.

MPP explained to me they limited the damper travel for people who want to slam their cars - too much travel, and the wheels would hit the fenders. But if they could increase the travel and soften the dampers, it would be on par with a modern car of its class.I drive every day in my girlfriend's 2018 GTI, and although that car wobbles around a lot more than mine, the dampers on a bad road absorb way more. I guess it just translates the bumps into the chassis, which then absorbs the rest of the shock. So in her car, you get a little nauseous on a bad road, but you don't get the "GUNG GUNG" experience. Pick your poison.

So with the MPP Comforts, you get a chassis that is pretty damn smooth and clean, but dampers that still give you a fair amount of banging on the cracks and potholes. I still classify this as a suburb-friendly car and not a city-friendly car.

But would I go back to the OEM dampers? Hell no! Those were just unacceptable. This are .. mostly pretty much acceptable. And if you often drive on pretty good roads, you will find them very acceptable.

But if I were to test drive the car today for the very first time with the MPP Comforts, well to be honest, I would still rate the ride quality below the competitors - I might have to think about it, I might not notice right away, and I wouldn't freak out about it like I did with OEM.

MPP said they may consider a real "comfort" upgrade for people like us who don't want to lower their cars. They said they were shocked to see the bad roads in California and it wasn't something they thought about until recently. All they need to do is give it an extra inch of damper travel and slightly softer valving, and then tighten up the springs...and IMO it will feel totally awesome, like Audi-level ride.

Thanks for the honest and informative review. Bottom line is that the MPP comforts make it “acceptable” but not an “Audi-level ride”. I was hoping for an Audi-level ride, but it sounds like at least the suspension won’t bug me all the time anymore.

Thanks for the honest and informative review. Bottom line is that the MPP comforts make it “acceptable” but not an “Audi-level ride”. I was hoping for an Audi-level ride, but it sounds like at least the suspension won’t bug me all the time anymore.

You'll likely want the Sports coilovers for that, or get a firmer set of springs to go with the comforts.

Yeah. Mine no longer bugs me over 75-90% of the roads, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking its not what I want for the price I paid for this car when I compare the ride to $30-50k competition, but its pretty close, to be fair.

But my caveat is that I live around a lot of BAD roads and I've owned a lot of nice cars. I recently drove to a suburb with newer roads, and I didn't even think about the suspension on my trip. Back with the OEM car, _everywhere_ I went I was constantly annoyed. It just felt cheap and now it feels like a stiff high quality suspension. So, thats a huge improvement.

Maybe sometime in the future, a third offering will exist that pretty much solves everything. Its technically possible, from what MPP told me.

Last edited:
@superbaka and @MountainPass,

“Overall, I wish the spring were stiffer and the dampers were softer. The springs are basically identical to OEM in terms of body roll, but there are less artifacts, less wobbles, and a cleaner ride. But they are not sporty or stiff at all. I wish they were, but its not a huge deal.”

-So do you wish you got the Sport Coilovers?

I’ve gone back and forth a million times on whether I want the Comfort or Sports.....I DONT Want any former than OEM but like the adjustability factor in both compression and rebound as well as the SS bodies of the Sports.

Ski

You'll likely want the Sports coilovers for that, or get a firmer set of springs to go with the comforts.

@BYE FSL and @SD_Engnr and @MountainPass,

Are you guys saying “Audi-Level” meaning Sport tuned comfort and tightness or Caddy like smoothness here? When I think of Audi level (I’ve never owned one) I think of plush smoothness. Maybe my perception is wrong/off. As I mentioned above I’m having a hard time deciding between MPPs comfort and Sport!

Ski