Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know, that ride height looks like a good compromise to me. Much better than factory. I have the comfort on pre-order for my P3D-. I was concerned the up springs wouldn't be what I was looking for. Sounds like I was right. Anyone have more details on toe and camber links requirements if I plan on being near the same height Ervic is? Be alright without them?

I don't know, that ride height looks like a good compromise to me. Much better than factory. I have the comfort on pre-order for my P3D-. I was concerned the up springs wouldn't be what I was looking for. Sounds like I was right. Anyone have more details on toe and camber links requirements if I plan on being near the same height Ervic is? Be alright without them?

I'm growing on the height. My wife wants me to keep it at this level. I might just bring it down a tad and if I scrape, put it back up. So far I've gone over some high speed bumps and not one scrape.

You can call Griffin Motorwerke and ask them about the tow and camber arms or ask Mountain Pass. Ask for Terry at Griffin and let him know you are referring to the blue model 3 with the MP comfort coils done last week. I'm not sure if you need the arms if you go higher than recommended like I did. I think Griffin said they were struggling to align it because it was higher than the arms were made for, although they were able to do it. I just like peace of mind knowing that if I do change the height, I can adjust the camber. With the UP moderate springs at a 1.5" drop, my camber was off and the stock arms aren't adjustable.

Prior Experience:

I had the same experience as Ervic, as I started off with UP Moderates and switched over to the MPP Comfort Coils. My intention was to reduce the wheel gap and gain some improved handling, but there were some shortcomings with just installing springs w/o shocks. Based on my experiences in the tuner scene (years ago) I never had positive experiences with just swapping springs, as they were just too bumpy and often times bottom out on the bump stops. Fast forward to my Model 3, I had a gut feeling to go with MPP coils, but figured I could save some extra cash and put that into new wheels and get PPF done. Boy was I wrong. :(

Upon installing the springs and driving with them 120 miles a day, dealing with large bumps and high-frequency splits/cracks on the freeway became annoying. On smooth roads the springs felt great, but when dealing with bumps, the rear of the car tended to oscillate up and down and not settle quickly. I'm assuming this was due to lack of dampening of the OEM shocks paired with the lowering springs.

In terms of taking high speed curves (i.e. on/off ramps), I did not feel as confident taking them with the new springs. I can't really describe the feeling, but I felt the rear was a bit wobbly/un-settled. The stock suspension just felt tight and controlled going into the turn even if there was a bit more body-roll. On top of all that, I also experienced other issues as some others have mentioned:

1. Front springs making a boing sounds when turning at low speeds.
2. Click/tapping sound coming from rear springs when hitting bumps.
3. Additional creaks and rattles coming from inside the cabin.

MPP Comfort Coil Experience:

With all of the above issues, I decided to bite the bullet and make the order for the MPP Comfort Coils and Rear Arms (camber and toe). After spending a few hours on installing them myself in the garage, I immediately noticed a huge difference just pulling out into the driveway and onto the road. All taps/clicks were gone and no more noises from the front springs. My neighborhood has speed bumps at every block and the MP coils handled them with ease. High speed turns felt similar to OEM (sporty and tight) and freeway commuting was finally comfortable again. I have not yet experienced any bottoming out on any large bumps or poles. Overall, I would say they perform very close to stock and maybe a tad more comfortable.

If you daily drive your Model 3 and want the lowered look without any sacrifices, the MP Comfort Coils are a must. Lowering is a modification to not cheap out on to save money, especially since we bought Model 3s. Do it right the first time and get the proper setup. Hope this helps some of you make the right decision if you're planning to make this modification.

Other Info:
Vehicle: Model 3 RWD LR
Wheels: Vorsteiner VFF-103 20" Staggered
Installer: DIY (feel free to DM if you have questions with install)
Alignment Shop: California Wheels in Campbell, CA
Daily Commute Miles: 120. Mostly on 680 and 280 in the San Francisco Bay Area

IMG_4308.jpg
IMG_4307.jpg

What is the difference between the sports and comfort coil overs? Is the sports just higher quality and more adjustable?

Slightly stiffer Springs but not a lot stiffer, but adjustable shocks both in terms of compression and rebound. The extra money is in the shocks. Ride height may also be more adjustable but I think it's a pretty big range on both systems

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
What is the difference between the sports and comfort coil overs? Is the sports just higher quality and more adjustable?

Main difference is going to be the stiffness/spring frequency as one is designed for comfort on the road and the other is more for performance. The comfort coilover also is NOT adjustable for rebound/compression like the sport coilover, which is the main difference in money.

Slightly stiffer Springs but not a lot stiffer, but adjustable shocks both in terms of compression and rebound

I don't believe the comfort coilovers are rebound or compression adjustable.

On smooth roads the springs felt great, but when dealing with bumps, the rear of the car tended to oscillate up and down and not settle quickly. I'm assuming this was due to lack of dampening of the OEM shocks paired with the lowering springs.

Yep, the big problem with lowering springs is that you are changing half of the equipment and not all of it! The shocks are super important to giving a good ride.

Reactions: dgaultiere
Main difference is going to be the stiffness/spring frequency as one is designed for comfort on the road and the other is more for performance. The comfort coilover also is NOT adjustable for rebound/compression like the sport coilover, which is the main difference in money.

I don't believe the comfort coilovers are rebound or compression adjustable.

Yes that's exactly what I meant the sports coilovers are just a little bit stiffer on Spring rates but have adjustable shocks where is the Comfort coilovers have no adjustment. The sports coilovers have adjustable rebound and compression on the other hand. I think that makes them worth the extra money cuz you could set the system up for pretty soft and essentially even softer than stock or rock hard

Yes that's exactly what I meant the sports coilovers are just a little bit stiffer on Spring rates but have adjustable shocks where is the Comfort coilovers have no adjustment. The sports coilovers have adjustable rebound and compression on the other hand. I think that makes them worth the extra money cuz you could set the system up for pretty soft and essentially even softer than stock or rock hard

Ah sorry i misunderstood. Yea being able to adjust the dampers is great!

I'm curious if another difference between comfort and sport coilovers is the relative stiffness between front and rear. Comfort coilovers will typically have rear rates be ~10-15% higher than the front for smooth riding where a sport coilover would typically have even spring rates or even front biased.

@MountainPass any change between relative front/rear stiffness on the comfort vs sport coilover?

Reactions: dfwatt
@dgaultiere, any specific reason to move to coil overs? If I recall, you currently have Tsportline springs. Your pictures have pushed me toward spacers (which I have now) and Springs (of which I am still waiting for my AWD preorder).
Because springs alone typically get you the look you want but are almost always a compromise in performance is my guess.

What he said ^

Changing springs alone means you likely have a stiffer spring (when lowering the car with springs you reduce suspension travel so you must go stiffer to prevent bottoming out) which is different than what the shocks/dampers were designed for. This means that you will have an under-dampened ride which means lots of oscillations/bouncing back and forth and a general harsh feeling from the stiffer spring.

Not to mention when you do bottom out the suspension on a bump, things will get VERY harsh as your spring rate just went to practically infinity (hitting the bump stop)

Best way to lower a car is with coilovers that were designed for it and maintain adequate suspension travel AND provide springs and shocks that were designed and tuned to play nicely with each other.

What he said ^

Changing springs alone means you likely have a stiffer spring (when lowering the car with springs you reduce suspension travel so you must go stiffer to prevent bottoming out) which is different than what the shocks/dampers were designed for. This means that you will have an under-dampened ride which means lots of oscillations/bouncing back and forth and a general harsh feeling from the stiffer spring.

Not to mention when you do bottom out the suspension on a bump, things will get VERY harsh as your spring rate just went to practically infinity (hitting the bump stop)

Best way to lower a car is with coilovers that were designed for it and maintain adequate suspension travel AND provide springs and shocks that were designed and tuned to play nicely with each other.

Now if only we could get the Comfort Coilover with stainless dampers and threads. NE winters will kill a zinc coated setup in one season.

I think I am just going to wait for now. Don’t want to do this twice. I know MPP states that the Sport setup can be setup to meet the comfort level of stock, but that dual adjustability is more than I need.

Reactions: Dre78
Now if only we could get the Comfort Coilover with stainless dampers and threads. NE winters will kill a zinc coated setup in one season.

I think I am just going to wait for now. Don’t want to do this twice. I know MPP states that the Sport setup can be setup to meet the comfort level of stock, but that dual adjustability is more than I need.

We wouldn't want to lead you to believe there will be something like that coming in the near future, so here it is- there are no plans for that!

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78

I believe that someone posted about putting the softer springs of the comfort model on the sport model, not sure if they cleared that with Sasha at MPP because then the sport may have to be re valved to match the softer spring rate, ask MPP about this if it would interest you

Reactions: capn00