Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@MountainPass Do you know anyone or are you guys doing a roadtrip via CO? I would love to experience before spending money on it. I know @kbecks13 was awesome in explaining the details and it seems like Sports version is better off with adjustments that suits your needs. Like finding the perfect balance between body roll while cornering and comfort for potholes. I never had to install these types of coilovers if I get sport version can I adjust the rear easily myself at home until I find that perfect balance? (Not talking about height adjustments)

@MountainPass @kbecks13 Again thanks for taking time to reply in detail to help me understand coilover nuances.

@MountainPass Do you know anyone or are you guys doing a roadtrip via CO? I would love to experience before spending money on it. I know @kbecks13 was awesome in explaining the details and it seems like Sports version is better off with adjustments that suits your needs. Like finding the perfect balance between body roll while cornering and comfort for potholes. I never had to install these types of coilovers if I get sport version can I adjust the rear easily myself at home until I find that perfect balance? (Not talking about height adjustments)

@MountainPass @kbecks13 Again thanks for taking time to reply in detail to help me understand coilover nuances.
ive watched their install videos and it looks like you can easily adjust the damper (soft/stiff) by removing the rear wheels and turning the scroll wheel looking adjustment.

ive watched their install videos and it looks like you can easily adjust the damper (soft/stiff) by removing the rear wheels and turning the scroll wheel looking adjustment.

That is for the Sports coilovers, and you can even lie down and stick your arm in to adjust them if your arms are small enough like Sasha's :D

-Jesse

OK, so they could go on the front in theory, but there is no product available yet. Thanks!

The front is a totally different suspension than the rear. The rear uses a 4-link suspension that is basically 4x "links" (metal arms) that control the wheel knuckle position and deflection. MPP and UP have developed replacements for 2x of these links that enable you to adjust their length and therefore suspension geometry to get the desired camber and toe angle. These arms are ONLY compatible with the rear suspension.

The front suspension utilizes an upper control arm and then 2x arms as a lower control arm, so 3x pieces total. Both Mountain Pass and Unplugged are also working on an adjustable upper control arm for the front, which will allow you to adjust your camber angle. Neither company has released this new adjustable control arm to the public just yet, still in development.

@kbecks13 is on the right track, I will say that!

Aww shucks, that makes me happy :) As an engineer by living, i had to do a ton of research before spending a few thousand on a new suspension set-up ;)

Thanks for the info. If my goals for the comfort coilovers are to keep/improve comfort while lowering the ride height to 115mm - 120mm, then do you think I would need any of the control arms? I will never track the car.

I'm not sure how much reduction 115-120mm would be, but if you are lowering about 1" (25mm if we wanna stay consistent :)) or less than you will be fine without the arms, BUT you may have slightly faster tire wear from a not-great alignment. The stock suspension doesn't let you adjust camber and when you lower a car you increase your negative camber angle slightly. This means that the inside edge of your tires may wear down a bit faster than the outside.

I wouldn't say the arms are mandatory for your application, but it's nice to have to enable your alignment shop to get the car set-up perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: skrtskrt
Mountain Pass says stock ride height is 155mm front /150mm rear. So roughly lowering it by 30mm or 1.2”.

If the camber adjustment is going to be a problem, then it is going to be a problem on both front and rear. In that case I would want adjustable camber arms for both, right?

Mountain Pass says stock ride height is 155mm front /150mm rear. So roughly lowering it by 30mm or 1.2”.

Good to know, i hadn't seen that before!

If the camber adjustment is going to be a problem, then it is going to be a problem on both front and rear. In that case I would want adjustable camber arms for both, right?

Yep, but again they really aren't mandatory. I'd suggest installing the coilovers and then getting your car aligned and compare the numbers to the factory specs. Then you can make a more informed decision if they are truly required (nothing catastrophic would happen if you don't use them, just more tire wear/slight handling change) for you. Also then you can wait for the front arms to be released and do both at the same time.

Attached are factory alignment specs i found from a previous post, it's a bit old and may be slightly different now but probably not substantially.

Attachments

• TeslaModel3Alignment (1).pdf
    111.2 KB · Views: 137
  • Informative
Reactions: MountainPass
I have only had my M3 less than 2 weeks and have not noticed any hard hit issues even though I have driven it full of adults several times. I can’t remember where, but I saw an article with pictures of noticeably thicker back seats and a statement that the suspension had been recently improved for softer ride. Could I have benefitted from this improvement?

I have only had my M3 less than 2 weeks and have not noticed any hard hit issues even though I have driven it full of adults several times. I can’t remember where, but I saw an article with pictures of noticeably thicker back seats and a statement that the suspension had been recently improved for softer ride. Could I have benefitted from this improvement?

Those changes happened about a year ago (suspension was end of Dec 2017 and seats were early 2018)

I have heard others say the car sits at 5.5" or approximately 140mm, I checked mine and it sits right at that after 21k miles and 11 months, maybe it was a little taller when new but I did not check then, by now springs are settled in for sure!