Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The springs are just too much for the stock dampers to handle

The Performance stock springs are too much for the stock dampers, let alone aftermarket! :)

I too went from Eibach springs to MPP Comfort coils. I too should have bought the coils in the first place :p

I also think the drop on the Eibach springs is too much. They introduced a new part number, so they may have changed it. But that's more subjective obviously. Anyway, now I can set the height to whatever I want.

I do understand that there is a significant cost difference, so I don't necessarily fault anyone for going the spring-only route. But if you are willing to spend the $ for the MPP Comforts, you will have a much better experience.

Reactions: dfwatt
Anyone here have data on efficiency improvement with coilover lowered car with 19” wheels?

We have two identical cars although they both have 20in staggered aftermarket wheels, but with the UP front air dam and lowered about 1.5 in, our white car gets exactly 15 watt hours per mile less consumption on the highway at 70 75 than the more stock car (non-lowered and no front air dam). We're about to get a second MPP coilover kit for the silver car in part for that reason. The other thing is that roughly 5% reduction in energy consumption just about offsets our 5% battery loss.

20200108_113350.jpg

Last edited:
for those who have lowered their awd with these based on mpp's recommendations, how off was alignment? did you have to get rear camber arm to get alignment back aligned or can it be adjusted with factory? what about toe?

You don't need any additional arms to get toe back in alignment but you'll need rear camber arms if you want factory spec. However, with mpp's recommendation, camber is only slightly out of spec if I remember correctly.

Reactions: bcpm3p
for those who have lowered their awd with these based on mpp's recommendations, how off was alignment? did you have to get rear camber arm to get alignment back aligned or can it be adjusted with factory? what about toe?

Rear camber is not adjustable on the Model 3. However the factory spec has a REALLY wide range of -2.3 to -0.3 (like most cars I suppose). You do *not* need camber arms to be within the factory camber spec after lowering. On the other hand if you really had -2.3 degrees rear camber that would be pretty ridiculous for daily driving.

I was at -1.4 and -1.7 after installing Eibach springs (which brings up another interesting point, you likely won't have even camber without adjusters). So you don't "need" camber arms but you should get them if you care about your tires :p

Toe should be fine (meaning it can be adjusted as needed). MPP claims you can reach the limit of the factory adjuster but I think they're talking about setting toe for track use.

Reactions: AtlantaMCR
i've only driven my M3P+ about 400 miles and am pretty content with the ride quality. What i hate about it is the ride height and have therefore ordered the MPP comfort kit. The kit arrives tomorrow and i am now not sure I want to install it. In the last few days i've somewhat gotten used to the ride height and simply don't want a "lowered" ride quality. I've read that the ride quality actually improves with the comfort kit and so I'm wondering if I install the kit and keep it at stock height does it ride better than stock?

i've only driven my M3P+ about 400 miles and am pretty content with the ride quality. What i hate about it is the ride height and have therefore ordered the MPP comfort kit. The kit arrives tomorrow and i am now not sure I want to install it. In the last few days i've somewhat gotten used to the ride height and simply don't want a "lowered" ride quality. I've read that the ride quality actually improves with the comfort kit and so I'm wondering if I install the kit and keep it at stock height does it ride better than stock?

It will definitely ride better than stock. You can ask MPP what their suggested max ride height should be if you don't want too low.

It will definitely ride better than stock. You can ask MPP what their suggested max ride height should be if you don't want too low.
I installed the adjustable comfort coilovers a couple of weeks ago; not sure if that’s what you are getting. I adjusted the ride height to MPP suggested settings, but had to go back in and raise the rear by about 5-6mm as it sat lower than the front when comparing hub to fender distances. Ultimately, I’d guess that the ride height is about an inch lower than stock at most, but it’s certainly nowhere near slammed. I’ll post a pic later as the one I took earlier this morning had a shadow cast on the tires so you can’t really see where the tires end and the gap begins, lol.

Ride quality at 12/10 compression/rebound is better than stock in terms of reducing that random jumpiness and jarring over bumps that I felt with the stock suspension. Cornering is more composed as well. I actually started off at 12/12 and now have it at 11/9 with increasing amounts of stiffness as I went down on the damper settings. Now I really feel like everything is just more refined and controlled. It makes me want to drive the car more and push it more, whereas before I did not have as much confidence to do so; or I wouldn’t like what I was feeling when I tried.

I installed the adjustable comfort coilovers a couple of weeks ago; not sure if that’s what you are getting. I adjusted the ride height to MPP suggested settings, but had to go back in and raise the rear by about 5-6mm as it sat lower than the front when comparing hub to fender distances. Ultimately, I’d guess that the ride height is about an inch lower than stock at most, but it’s certainly nowhere near slammed. I’ll post a pic later as the one I took earlier this morning had a shadow cast on the tires so you can’t really see where the tires end and the gap begins, lol.

Ride quality at 12/10 compression/rebound is better than stock in terms of reducing that random jumpiness and jarring over bumps that I felt with the stock suspension. Cornering is more composed as well. I actually started off at 12/12 and now have it at 11/9 with increasing amounts of stiffness as I went down on the damper settings. Now I really feel like everything is just more refined and controlled. It makes me want to drive the car more and push it more, whereas before I did not have as much confidence to do so; or I wouldn’t like what I was feeling when I tried.

Thank you for sharing your experience :)

putting on some non adjustable comforts on my p3d this weekend. does anyone know roughly what the spring perch offset is front and back if you want an even 1" drop all around?

I have the non-adjustable comforts on my LR RWD. RWD may be a bit different than the dual motor setup, but my experience has been that it is rather difficult to achieve a minor drop like 1". The first time I had them installed, my shop used the MPP recommended settings. After the car had been on the ground for about a day they settled quite a bit and the car was much too low. I took them back to him for adjustment and he raised it up but they were still too low.

I lived with it for 6 months and brought it back to him for a third adjustment. This time he said he put the front perches just below their highest setting (as high as he was comfortable going). The front suspension is now about perfect, and pretty close to 1" drop from factory (possibly 1.25"), but the rear settled a lot and is still too low. It's still on my to-do list to try raising the rear a bit more.

So if you are really going for a 1" drop and don't want the super low look, I would recommend starting with the highest settings (least drop), put the car on the ground for a day to fully settle, and then adjust it again if you think it's not low enough.

A few other details in case they are relevant:
  • Car is a April 2018 build
  • MPP comfort coilovers ordered & installed in March 2019
  • Running stock 19" stilettos on stock Continental tires
  • 15mm spacers on front and 20mm on rear

Hope that helps, happy to answer any other questions you have.

I just had the comfort kit installed on my P3D+ last week and asked the installer to lower it by as little as possible. After a few hundred miles the car settled to about 1/2" lower than factory. I plan to go back in a week or two and lower it a tiny bit more. At this height the ride is by far better than stock in every way. The dampers really absorb the dips and bumps nicely. I'll be beyond impressed if the ride remains the same when its lowered by another 1/4'-1/2".