Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read about a quarter of this thread so far and I'm not feeling confident these will really satisfy my needs based on the reviews here.

Two of the main roads out of my neighborhood are absolute *sugar*--potholes, crappy patches, railroad tracks, etc. Driving down these roads just makes me hate my car. And even driving in areas with average roads (for front range Colorado), I feel the stock suspension is way to harsh and might as well be riding on lumber considering how well it handles potholes, etc. I need to drive clients around for work and frankly it's embarrassing. Believe me, if I could swap out for Camry suspension, I would.

Questions:
1) based on the description above, would I benefit significantly from the non-adjustable comfort coilovers?
2) How much softer of a ride is it possible to achieve with the adjustable ones? I gotta assume the adjustables are capable of going softer than the non-adjustables in the softer settings (where it would stay), but any first hand experience comparison would be appreciated. I have to say, there is a good chance I'm too much of a cheap-ass to invest the extra $1100, which brings me back to question #1
3) Not looking to lower the car at all. Snow, curbs, driveways, oh my! I do a fair amount of dirt forest service roads, what most of you guys would probably consider "off-roading." I understand I have no choice but to lower the car by around 1cm at the highest setting. That is acceptable to me. Are there any ride-quality drawbacks to not lowering the car to the MPP recommended settings?

Please and thank you!

I have read about a quarter of this thread so far and I'm not feeling confident these will really satisfy my needs based on the reviews here.

Two of the main roads out of my neighborhood are absolute *sugar*--potholes, crappy patches, railroad tracks, etc. Driving down these roads just makes me hate my car. And even driving in areas with average roads (for front range Colorado), I feel the stock suspension is way to harsh and might as well be riding on lumber considering how well it handles potholes, etc. I need to drive clients around for work and frankly it's embarrassing. Believe me, if I could swap out for Camry suspension, I would.

Questions:
1) based on the description above, would I benefit significantly from the non-adjustable comfort coilovers?
2) How much softer of a ride is it possible to achieve with the adjustable ones? I gotta assume the adjustables are capable of going softer than the non-adjustables in the softer settings (where it would stay), but any first hand experience comparison would be appreciated. I have to say, there is a good chance I'm too much of a cheap-ass to invest the extra $1100, which brings me back to question #1
3) Not looking to lower the car at all. Snow, curbs, driveways, oh my! I do a fair amount of dirt forest service roads, what most of you guys would probably consider "off-roading." I understand I have no choice but to lower the car by around 1cm at the highest setting. That is acceptable to me. Are there any ride-quality drawbacks to not lowering the car to the MPP recommended settings?

Please and thank you!
The non-adjustable comfort coilovers are a stark improvement over the stock suspension, IMO.

I would say pair those with the MPP Lift Kit and you will achieve all of what you are looking for!

Circling back as I have now read the whole thread. MPP's article regarding the bumpstop's effective spring rate was very helpful. @TLLMRRJ impressions were also very helpful, as he seems to be one of the few members approaching this product with really no need/desire to lower, simply to improve the ride. Sounds like he'd be happier with a little more ride height still.

So question for MPP: is there a significant detriment in ride quality if I adjust these to their highest setting? I.e. shock will extend to it's full length and abruptly halt suspension travel? I really want as much ride height as I can get out of these without harming the ride quality and without using the lift spacers.

And finally: anybody in Denver Metro want a case of beer in exchange for a joyride?

Heckraiser have you got 18"s or 19"s on your M3? 18" wheels, low crr tires, with lower pressures might solve your problems for a lot less money and hassle. Factory tire pressure spec is 42psi but you can drop down to 38 or so and it can be a big difference.

5197563F-4741-4A17-84B4-01D594368C4E.jpeg

These have been in my garage a few days now and I’m getting so impatient haha. Hopefully get them installed this weekend if I have time.

Those that did the project by themselves how many hours did it take you to get them installed? Figured it’s probably going to be a good chunk of the day

Heckraiser have you got 18"s or 19"s on your M3? 18" wheels, low crr tires, with lower pressures might solve your problems for a lot less money and hassle. Factory tire pressure spec is 42psi but you can drop down to 38 or so and it can be a big difference.
Already running 18" stockers with the pressure kept only high enough to keep the TPMS from going off. I'm running the original Michelin Primacy MXM4 (well two originals and two replacements), not sure how those rate on the cushiness scale.

Already running 18" stockers with the pressure kept only high enough to keep the TPMS from going off. I'm running the original Michelin Primacy MXM4 (well two originals and two replacements), not sure how those rate on the cushiness scale.
Those feel good in my opinion, but not as comfy as my winter tires on the 18" wheels! The extra tread helps absorb the cracks in the road.

- Jesse (SR+)

Reactions: tm1v2

I seem to remember resetting what are the normal tire pressures on my Tesla, so that if I wanted to, I could run 20psi and not get a low tire pressure warning. Did they remove that option from the menus?

Those feel good in my opinion, but not as comfy as my winter tires on the 18" wheels! The extra tread helps absorb the cracks in the road.

- Jesse (SR+)
Ohhh....squishy 235/45 studless snow & ice tires made even my old Subaru STI ride smooth! But extra squishy tires have a pretty direct handling tradeoff on pavement. Even the MXM4 are on the mushy side of non-winter tires, and they're pretty terrible for handling (both grip and feel).

If someone finds the stock Model 3 ride on 18s too busy, I would suggest fixing the root problem with better dampers (+ matching springs)...such as the ones this thread is about...don't go too squishy on the tires or you won't be able to dodge or stop for sudden obstacles in time!

(I'll acknowledge that rubberband thin tires will contribute to a busy ride too of course, but 245/45 or 235/45 on stock-sized 18x8.5" wheels is enough sidewall for a pretty smooth ride in my experience, if the suspension is tuned well for it. Personally I'm fine with 2021 Model 3 ride quality on 18s, I like feeling the road some, but I certainly recognize that it's far from the smoothest car out there. And the stock suspension doesn't have any big handling payoff for the mildly busy ride. The Model 3 itself is playful and really fun but the stock suspension is slow to react, slow to settle, and can get overwhelmed when going fast over uneven roads. I feel like there's a lot of potential handling upside to suspension upgrades on this car.)

Last edited:
Reactions: XPsionic
Mine is also a 2019, so shocks might not be performing quite as good as new, and as I understand it, Tesla incrementally made minor improvements to the suspension over the years. My buddy's 2021 model y rides way nicer than my 2019 model 3 SR+

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I recently installed the Redwood GTs on my 2019 DM LR, and am the one referred to in @tm1v2’s post above. Kit is absolutely awesome. Gave me the ride I wanted and a noticeable handling improvement. Wife’s approval alone was worth half the price. If anyone in the northern VA area (Winchester/Front Royal) is considering these, I’d be happy to give a test ride.
Hi, I'm seriously considering the redwood GT for my MYP. It sounds promising from the reviews but pretty costly for coilover set. I really wanted to give it a try first if had the opportunity. I live in Fairfax VA. would you be still up for giving me a ride if i stop by at your place? Thanks!

The local shop that installed my MPP Sports Coilovers lowered the car too much. I believe that the Model 3 Performance stock ground clearance is 130mm. I measured mine (battery to ground) and it's 90mm. Perhaps my measurement is a bit off, but I've noticed that I scrape quite a bit. If I get any backseat passengers, then it's scrape-everywhere mode. I'm thinking about raising it a bit. Any recommendations on the optimal ground clearance? Thanks!

The local shop that installed my MPP Sports Coilovers lowered the car too much. I believe that the Model 3 Performance stock ground clearance is 130mm. I measured mine (battery to ground) and it's 90mm. Perhaps my measurement is a bit off, but I've noticed that I scrape quite a bit. If I get any backseat passengers, then it's scrape-everywhere mode. I'm thinking about raising it a bit. Any recommendations on the optimal ground clearance? Thanks!
40mm is about 1.5” which isn’t earth shattering low. Keep in mind the 3 has two unnecessary plastic pieces next to the rocker panels that protrude down an inch or so. You’re losing some clearance from those pieces. Those will scrape on some driveways at a 1.5” drop.

Since you have coilovers, you can play with the height to your liking. There’s isn’t any optimal setting out there. I’m at 360mm front and 355mm rear hub to fender which is a 1 finger gap all around and should be roughly what you’re dropped at. I do scrape occasionally on steep driveways and big speed bumps, but I just try to take it easy and live with it. You may try 370mm front and rear.

I would go as high as they recommend unless you have dire competitive racing needs. Being half an inch lower isn't something you will feel except for the inconvenience.