Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The local shop that installed my MPP Sports Coilovers lowered the car too much. I believe that the Model 3 Performance stock ground clearance is 130mm. I measured mine (battery to ground) and it's 90mm. Perhaps my measurement is a bit off, but I've noticed that I scrape quite a bit. If I get any backseat passengers, then it's scrape-everywhere mode. I'm thinking about raising it a bit. Any recommendations on the optimal ground clearance? Thanks!
I struggled with this and tested a number of speed bumps and the steepest entryway that I knew of before I decided to keep mine very low. It is probably too low for most but I haven't had any major incidents. Yet... The worst is probably trying to get on the lift ramps at some shops (bring 2x4's). I show a few of these scenarios in my review here -

Reactions: llamas
I would go as high as they recommend unless you have dire competitive racing needs. Being half an inch lower isn't something you will feel except for the inconvenience.
I would go as low as you can until you get stuck somewhere, then raise it 1/4" by 1/4" until you don't get stuck any longer. Haha!
Mine is low because I have dire needs to make it look good...

This is what mine looks like:

Attachments

• 1N6B7118.jpg
    1N6B7118.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 289
Just had MPP Comfort non-adjustable coilovers installed last week along with rear camber arms and a few other goodies on my 2020 P3D-. I have only put about 100 miles on the setup but overall I am very happy with them so far. The ride quality at low speeds feels very similar to stock IMO but feels more grounded at highway speeds and the car handles bumps or imperfections in the roads much better. My wife has no complaints about the ride quality despite the car sitting ~30mm lower than it was before. Time will tell how they hold up but my initial impression is very positive.

I think the 1" to 1.5" drop and handling benefits would really improve my 22 M3P. Used for long daily commute 3 days per week.
Thinking I will get the adjustable comforts and the rear adj. control arms just to alleviate any tire wear concerns as suspension continues to settle over time.
Any reputable installer recommendations in Fremont or Central Valley area are greatly appreciated.

I think the 1" to 1.5" drop and handling benefits would really improve my 22 M3P. Used for long daily commute 3 days per week.
Thinking I will get the adjustable comforts and the rear adj. control arms just to alleviate any tire wear concerns as suspension continues to settle over time.
Any reputable installer recommendations in Fremont or Central Valley area are greatly appreciated.
I’m assuming this is California. There are a lot of Fremonts out there. If so, I bought all of my parts from autornd in Fremont and they were very helpful. My understanding is that they have done a lot of suspension jobs on the model 3. Rishie was very responsive and got me set up with everything I needed plus helped my installer with alignment specs and good starting points for the ride height.

Reactions: katie3
Good choice. The MPP Comfort adjustables offer the widest range of possible suspension tuning. Even at the default 12/10, handling is significantly tighter and ride is actually better and you can of course go softer. My wife is no fan of firm riding cars and she actually likes the default. And of course you can tighten down on the shocks and get a car that is trackable even though the Springs are pretty soft

I just got a set of MPP comfort (non adjustable) coilovers installed and gotten alignment shortly after. Drop was about 1.4". The front left camber was a full degree different that the front right, and the alignment technician asked if the car had been in an accident. Is this something I should be concerned with? My friend who has the same coilovers had the same issue where the front driver side was also a bit off compared to the left.

image.jpg

20221113_213449~3.jpg

I just got a set of MPP comfort (non adjustable) coilovers installed and gotten alignment shortly after. Drop was about 1.4". The front left camber was a full degree different that the front right, and the alignment technician asked if the car had been in an accident. Is this something I should be concerned with? My friend who has the same coilovers had the same issue where the front driver side was also a bit off compared to the left.

View attachment 875194

View attachment 875195
I am familiar with this - the front subframe is installed too far to the driver's side. The subframe isn't located on dowels, so it can be installed in a variety of positions! If you were to shift it to the passenger side, it would even out your front camber. This is an issue on the Model S as well.

When you shift it to the right, it will increase the RF camber and decrease the LF camber. I hope that helps!

Edit: just to be clear, your installer didn't remove or install the subframe while doing the coilover installation. It isn't their fault!

You can't trust that suspension/alignment people know what they are doing. Many will tell you only the tow is adjustable on these cars, and they are flat out wrong about that. Not saying this guy is incompetent, but there's a 90% chance he is. Did he even try to adjust the camber?

• Disagree
Reactions: superflyrolla
I am familiar with this - the front subframe is installed too far to the driver's side. The subframe isn't located on dowels, so it can be installed in a variety of positions! If you were to shift it to the passenger side, it would even out your front camber. This is an issue on the Model S as well.

When you shift it to the right, it will increase the RF camber and decrease the LF camber. I hope that helps!

Edit: just to be clear, your installer didn't remove or install the subframe while doing the coilover installation. It isn't their fault!
Is this something worth fixing, or the amount of camber not worth the cost/hassle? I'm not that mechanically inclined and not sure what needs to be done to shift the subframe and how much it'll cost.

Is this something worth fixing, or the amount of camber not worth the cost/hassle? I'm not that mechanically inclined and not sure what needs to be done to shift the subframe and how much it'll cost.
This would be something you'd get done at the shop. I imagine they would charge about 0.5hr labor to put it on the hoist, remove the undertray, loosen and shift the subframe, then install the undertray again. The biggest redundancy is realigning the car.

I would get it done the next time you want an alignment, but neither camber setting is going to result in uneven tire wear. You'll just have less front-end grip when taking a hard left turn as it is now.

You can't trust that suspension/alignment people know what they are doing. Many will tell you only the tow is adjustable on these cars, and they are flat out wrong about that. Not saying this guy is incompetent, but there's a 90% chance he is. Did he even try to adjust the camber?
Well I was actually watching him the entire time because I had forgot my keycard at home, so he needed me close by to operate the vehicle. I'm not sure what goes into adjusting camber but he did take the frunk liner out and was wrenching on both sides in addition to the rear shroud and wrenching underneath there.

Well I was actually watching him the entire time because I had forgot my keycard at home, so he needed me close by to operate the vehicle. I'm not sure what goes into adjusting camber but he did take the frunk liner out and was wrenching on both sides in addition to the rear shroud and wrenching underneath there.
If he had the frunk liner out, it is very likely he used the small amount of camber adjustment available there, but it isn't enough to overcome that difference.

Did it look like he was doing this?

1668627222812.png

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Did you happen to check your alignment before the install? Mine was off from the factory enough to wear one tire substantially more than the others.
While -1.6 camber is alot, the toe is more important in terms of burning through tires much too quickly.
And you should ask the shop that did the install if they can try to readjust based on the MountainPass post above. I was going to say the same, but without the really helpful pics... They might be able to get it close enough without having to buy any extra aftermarket parts that you shouldn't need.