Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilover reviews?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if anyone has installed these yet, but coilovers like that should have very few downsides other than cost. Only other one i can think of is that they will probably require a rebuild after a few years which would cost $500-1000 dollars to have done, but seems worth it to me.

Looking for more reviews here, I suspect what @Rudyshoe is describing is the fact that the stock dampers engage the bump stops very quickly which can give an abrupt feel as the overall spring rate increases rapidly, the stock suspension is well damped and not really that stiff until the bump stops come into play then it tends to feel rather bumpy on these crappy L.A. County roads

I've been running the comfort coilovers for about a week now and absolutely love them. Ride feels similar to the stock set up but far less jarring when hitting bumps and variations in the road. What I was really after was a sportier stance without sacrificing ride quality. The comfort coilovers hit the mark!
This is great to see! I'm still on the fence, but I've been salivating over MPP's Comforts. Originally I was planning on upgrading to Tesla's 20's while keeping the 18's for road trips, but now that I have a new job with a ridiculous commute (126 miles a day.. ugh) I need to once again consider efficiency, ride quality, and replacement costs. Might just go with the 19's instead, but need to make a decision soon.

Did you use a local shop or DIY?

So is the ride better than oem, or just the same but lower. I couldn't care less about lowering, but would gladly pay for a better ride.

Sorry, I'm not really a car guy so I'm not able to give you a technical analysis. My seat-of-the-pants-analysis is that overall the MPP Comfort Coilovers ride like OEM less that very abrupt punch in the face when hitting bumps and holes in the road. I commute about 80 miles a day and not having the fillings in my teeth knocked loose on every bump is a major plus!

Did you use a local shop or DIY?

I went with a local shop. For folks in the Seattle area, I highly recommend Tru-Line in Bellevue. They did a great job and were super informative.

Is @Rudyshoe the only one running these on this forum? Where are all the other comfort coilover people!
I’m having mine installed today. I had the coilovers delivered earlier this month but the shop I’m going to recommended getting the camber and toe arms. The arms just got delivered on Monday.

The comfort coilovers will be replacing UP moderates that were installed a little over a month ago and are too harsh with the stock bump stops.

I’m having mine installed today. I had the coilovers delivered earlier this month but the shop I’m going to recommended getting the camber and toe arms. The arms just got delivered on Monday.

The comfort coilovers will be replacing UP moderates that were installed a little over a month ago and are too harsh with the stock bump stops.
Looking forward to your review!

Not sure if anyone has installed these yet, but coilovers like that should have very few downsides other than cost. Only other one i can think of is that they will probably require a rebuild after a few years which would cost $500-1000 dollars to have done, but seems worth it to me.

The MPP coilovers come with a 5 year warranty for the original owner.

I have the performance sport versions on order but MPP says they won't be ready to ship until January. When I get them installed I'll post photos of installation and ride/performance comments.

Sure but normally coilover rebuilds are considered normal wear and tear and not necessarily something that would be warranty worthy.

@MountainPass does this mean you guys would do rebuilds for free for 5 years? If so that's a great deal!

@MountainPass,

Are rebuilds really necessary? How often are they required and what is the estimated cost of a rebuild? What exactly does it entail?

Ski

FWIW, I had a 2013 VW Passat that I put ST coilovers on (entry level non adjustable units made by KW) and I put 100k on the car in 5 years, everything was working fine when the car was turned into VW (dirty diesel buyback) I never had it at the track though (even though I turned some 270 degree on and off ramps into the track on occasions haha) The car really transformed with just tire/wheel upgrades, larger front and rear sway bars and the coilovers, after these few mods the car out cornered our other car by a wide margin (2014 535d with sports package) just in the corners though haha.

The model 3 is the best of both worlds, faster than the Beemer in the straights and best in the turns, can't imagine how much better it would be with the MPP suspension mods and wider stickier tires, definatly would be a beast!

The warranty is KW's manufacturer warranty, you can check out details on their website! Us heavy track day guys may need to rebuild them but it's unlikely that street users will need to.

With the massive adjustment range on the sports coilovers, wouldn't it just be a question of compensating for wear by stiffening the settings a notch or two? Unless you blow out a valve from high speed impact, wouldn't that compensate for wear pretty painlessly? Or no?

I've been running the MP Comfort Coilovers with toe and camber arms for about 6 days. I haven't been able to take a long trip with them yet, but I have purposely driven over rough roads that would rattle some teeth and give backaches to my wife when using the UP moderate springs it replaced. It's night and day, the comfort coilovers just soak up rough roads like they weren't even there. Think of riding over potholes as a slight massage vs being kicked in the butt. I find myself sometimes driving faster than normal because it's so smooth and comfortable. It's the same feeling you get when you drive fast because you don't hear the engine, you drive faster because you don't feel the bumps. I have a family of five and with everyone in the car, the UP springs were just painful over bumps, but it was bearable with one person in the car. With the MP comfort coilovers, five passengers isn't an issue.

This is more luxury. My wife says the ride is a lot softer than when it was stock. First thing I noticed was a little bit more body roll than with the UP moderates. MP told me that's because it has more travel vs the UP springs which were riding on the bump stops under pressure. I have the height on the coilovers a little higher than the manual recommneded, but will probably bring it down another 1/2" after it settles in a month. It was set higher because the car was scraping at a couple places with the UP moderates so I wanted to raise it just a bit. So far no scrapes, but the height is aesthetically a little too high for my taste on a lowered car. Great thing about the coilovers is that the height is adjustable.

After comparing the ride to my wife's Lexus SUV, I find it similar in the way it softens bumps, maybe even a little smoother and it doesn't exhibit nearly as much body roll as a SUV does.

I don't plan to track my car as I only have a LRWD. If I had dual or performance, I'd probably have gone with the sport coilovers to tune the dampers and take it to the track. Since I use this as a daily driver and do a ton of road trips, the comfort coilovers feel like the perfect balance of comfort and performance for my needs. My family concurs.

Install was done by Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley, CA.
photo_20181228163312_6554169_0.jpg IMG_5913.jpg IMG_5937.jpg

Thanks for the detailed write up @Ervic . Exactly the feedback I was hoping for, but I don't think I am going to be able to go with the Comfort system as I need the SS dampers for NE Winters. I don't need the adjustability of the Sports because the car will likely never see a track.

Wish the Comfort coilovers also had the SS bodies...

I really like your setup though, looks familiar!

View media item 119236

I've been running the MP Comfort Coilovers with toe and camber arms for about 6 days. I haven't been able to take a long trip with them yet, but I have purposely driven over rough roads that would rattle some teeth and give backaches to my wife when using the UP moderate springs it replaced. It's night and day, the comfort coilovers just soak up rough roads like they weren't even there. Think of riding over potholes as a slight massage vs being kicked in the butt. I find myself sometimes driving faster than normal because it's so smooth and comfortable. It's the same feeling you get when you drive fast because you don't hear the engine, you drive faster because you don't feel the bumps. I have a family of five and with everyone in the car, the UP springs were just painful over bumps, but it was bearable with one person in the car. With the MP comfort coilovers, five passengers isn't an issue.

This is more luxury. My wife says the ride is a lot softer than when it was stock. First thing I noticed was a little bit more body roll than with the UP moderates. MP told me that's because it has more travel vs the UP springs which were riding on the bump stops under pressure. I have the height on the coilovers a little higher than the manual recommneded, but will probably bring it down another 1/2" after it settles in a month. It was set higher because the car was scraping at a couple places with the UP moderates so I wanted to raise it just a bit. So far no scrapes, but the height is aesthetically a little too high for my taste on a lowered car. Great thing about the coilovers is that the height is adjustable.

After comparing the ride to my wife's Lexus SUV, I find it similar in the way it softens bumps, maybe even a little smoother and it doesn't exhibit nearly as much body roll as a SUV does.

I don't plan to track my car as I only have a LRWD. If I had dual or performance, I'd probably have gone with the sport coilovers to tune the dampers and take it to the track. Since I use this as a daily driver and do a ton of road trips, the comfort coilovers feel like the perfect balance of comfort and performance for my needs. My family concurs.

Install was done by Griffin Motorwerke in Berkeley, CA.
View attachment 365745 View attachment 365744 View attachment 365737

We are happy you are enjoying your MPP parts so much, let us know if you ever need anything!