Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilovers - How Much More Comfortable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the OP : I feel the same as you, the ride is bumpy and punishing on my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. Only on certain roads of course, many roads are smooth as butter. I love the car except the ride quality and cabin noise at highway speed. I have the stock 18s with aftermarket Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The new tires improved grip on twisty mountain roads and improved braking, but ride quality is still the same, no improvement. I tried tire pressure of 45, 41, 37 for long periods, and the ride quality is bad on all of them. I thought about coilovers from MPP or UP, but I predict that it will improve the handling but not the ride comfort *noticeably*. My next car will be a Tesla with air suspension, maybe 2018 Model S 100D. Ride quality and cabin noise are noticeably better on any Model S with air suspension. In summary : Don't get your hopes up about improving the ride quality on the Model 3 or Model Y. For the record, I drove a 2017 Model S with coil suspension and the ride was equally as bumpy as my Model 3.
The UP dual rate springs do make a noticeable difference (I have the milds). I think its mostly because it prevents the damping from resonating like it does with standard springs. But the cornings is flatter too. Although I do get some suspension noise when turning tight at slow speeds. Very much worth it IMO. Although I may end up with coilers. the UP springs were just so cheap I had to give them a shot.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
There is one other problem with the non-adjustable kit - it is NOT stainless steel. This becomes a bigger issue in winter climates and, I guess, how long you think you will own your car.
This is the main thing I will mention to someone when they ask about what the differences are, and why you might choose one over the other. If the added benefits of corrosion resistance and adjustability aren't something you're interested in, the Comfort Non-Adjustable kit is going to do the trick! We have had some Canadians get the Non-Adjustable kit which is zinc plated steel rather than stainless steel, so we always let them know to at least wash the car frequently and if possible, spray some rust preventative coating on the dampers for the winter.

The regular ones are only height adjustable, while the step-up are stainless steel and height + compression/rebound adjustable!
thanks! I know you explained before but I couldn't recall...is the heigh/compression applicable to daily driving, or is that mainly just for tracking? I don't ever plan on going to a track, just trying to close some of the fender gap and enhance the ride for my daily long commutes

thanks! I know you explained before but I couldn't recall...is the heigh/compression applicable to daily driving, or is that mainly just for tracking? I don't ever plan on going to a track, just trying to close some of the fender gap and enhance the ride for my daily long commutes

Ride height is obviously a compromise between ground clearance, aesthetics, and suspension travel. However since the MPP kits correct the premature recruitment of the bump stops in the stock suspension, dropping the car an inch or so does not really cost you meaningful/useful suspension travel. You will find the ride significantly better despite the fact that the car may be lower. The advantage of the shock adjustable kits aside from the fact that they are significantly more corrosion-resistant is that you can set your ride handling balance where you like it. We have 2 model 3s and my wife's car has the Comfort adjustable set fairly soft. I have the sport adjustables set rather firm. Everybody is happy.

Reactions: Hawnboy
@MountainPass - when will these be back in stock? Also, will there be a sale in the coming days? Could’ve sworn I saw there’s a sale in June usually.
We are battling supply issues just like everyone else in the world, so there is no point in having a sale and just getting slammed with orders we can't fill right away!

The RWD kits are in stock, the AWD kits should be in production soon, KW Germany is short on the billet forks used for the front dampers and we are waiting for those to build the kits.

I hope this response can provide some insight and value to you guys. I've installed both the adjustable and non adjustables and will say that the non adjustables are amazing if set to their optimal ride height, 365 to 380mm from hub center to fender. If you want to be lower than 365mm then you should go with the adjustables. I personally think 370mm is perfect for them and where I set the car below. It's basically the same drop as Eibach springs out of the box.

I will also say that I've done several sport adjustables and set them to 13 clicks open on rebound and 12 open on compression which was really comfortable. In fact might be too soft. With that said I just don't think you can go wrong in either direction. They are all a massive upgrade from factory. If someone indicates it's just as harsh as factory then I'd really like a frame of reference for where they set their ride height. IMO, there's a fine balance between bump and droop travel. If you play your cards right and are aware of these "sweet" spots for each of MPP's offerings then you will be ecstatic. The stainless body of the adjustables and double adjustability are a huge selling point if you're in adverse climates but I am really impressed with the non adjustables.

Pics of non adjustables I put on a friend's car and you can see where I set his ride height. They rode so nice and it wasn't floaty. If someone says they don't ride well then there has to be an explanation for it and I can only imagine it is due to ride height settings. A 2 finger gap and it should be really nice.

20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ-8.jpg

Attachments

• 20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ.jpg
    20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 209
  • 20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ-2.jpg
    20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ-2.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ-3.jpg
    20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ-3.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ-6.jpg
    20210521-Kwong TM3 MPP NADJ-6.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 209
I hope this response can provide some insight and value to you guys. I've installed both the adjustable and non adjustables and will say that the non adjustables are amazing if set to their optimal ride height, 365 to 380mm from hub center to fender. If you want to be lower than 365mm then you should go with the adjustables. I personally think 370mm is perfect for them and where I set the car below. It's basically the same drop as Eibach springs out of the box.

I will also say that I've done several sport adjustables and set them to 13 clicks open on rebound and 12 open on compression which was really comfortable. In fact might be too soft. With that said I just don't think you can go wrong in either direction. They are all a massive upgrade from factory. If someone indicates it's just as harsh as factory then I'd really like a frame of reference for where they set their ride height. IMO, there's a fine balance between bump and droop travel. If you play your cards right and are aware of these "sweet" spots for each of MPP's offerings then you will be ecstatic. The stainless body of the adjustables and double adjustability are a huge selling point if you're in adverse climates but I am really impressed with the non adjustables.

Pics of non adjustables I put on a friend's car and you can see where I set his ride height. They rode so nice and it wasn't floaty. If someone says they don't ride well then there has to be an explanation for it and I can only imagine it is due to ride height settings. A 2 finger gap and it should be really nice.

View attachment 669071
thanks, would you guess that's about 1.4" or so all around? those are OEM wheels/tires?

thanks, would you guess that's about 1.4" or so all around? those are OEM wheels/tires?
I've gotten a variance in OEM ride heights on both P3D and DM LR. It's so weird. Some P3D are at 390, others at 400mm. Eibach height measurements also don't translate as they have documented. I have spoken to their engineers and there's just no way to state they are exact because of the variances coming out of the Tesla factory according to them. In my experience you're looking at a 3/4" to 1" drop from OEM settings. My one client with a 2021 DM LR was at 390mm stock. His car is here at 370mm with slightly oversized tires 245/40/19 on 19x9.5.

But then I had a 2018 P3D which was at 400mm from hub to fender. Totally opposite of what Tesla indicates. There are definitely some changes to the 2021 OEM spring lengths or rates. idk which.

MPP comfort adjustables at 370mm: 2021 started at 390mm DM LR
20210514-Danl Mitchell.jpg

On this 2021 DM LR he was at 390mm from factory and after eibach install with properly loading the bushings before torque spec he still came out to 370mm so only a 3/4"drop. I don't suggest reading much into the "drops" that these manufacturers publish. Talk to people who own the cars and ask them their physical measurement and grab a photo. That's the most definitive way to know what you're gonna get.

Eibach Pro kit at 370mm: 2021 started at 390mm DM LR
20210507-Dheinz-TM3-Eibach.jpg

I've gotten a variance in OEM ride heights on both P3D and DM LR. It's so weird. Some P3D are at 390, others at 400mm. Eibach height measurements also don't translate as they have documented. I have spoken to their engineers and there's just no way to state they are exact because of the variances coming out of the Tesla factory according to them. In my experience you're looking at a 3/4" to 1" drop from OEM settings. My one client with a 2021 DM LR was at 390mm stock. His car is here at 370mm with slightly oversized tires 245/40/19 on 19x9.5.

MPP comfort adjustables at 370mm: 2021 started at 390mm DM LR
View attachment 669223
@P3D-R -- ^^^ love the look ^^^^ A bit off topic, but can you please tell me the offset of the 19x9.5" wheels pictured above? Also, are those Martian wheels? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Theraven