Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilovers - How Much More Comfortable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this response can provide some insight and value to you guys. I've installed both the adjustable and non adjustables and will say that the non adjustables are amazing if set to their optimal ride height, 365 to 380mm from hub center to fender. If you want to be lower than 365mm then you should go with the adjustables. I personally think 370mm is perfect for them and where I set the car below. It's basically the same drop as Eibach springs out of the box.
Super helpful, and really nice pics to boot!

Is that 370mm front and rear? It looks like it's slightly closer in the rear as it normally is due to how the fender is cut, or is that an optical illusion?

I live in California so I barely see salt roads unless I go to Tahoe or Mammoth. When I do I always do a pressure wash to make sure I mitigate the corrosion. Just putting in my 2c. If you don’t track you car, save yourself $1k
Unless CA DOT changed in the last couple years, there’s no salt or beet juice in Tahoe or Mammoth. They only use sand in CA.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and cdub715
Thanks for that - just double checking because on my LR RWD, the hub-fender heights are around 10 mm higher in the front - 405 mm front and 395 mm rear or about 16" front / 15.5" rear.
I am doing a couple of RWD comfort non adjustables within the next few weeks for the first time so I'll have data on that specific model for spring perch heights and resulting hub to fender heights. Assuming the motion ratios are the same I believe we're around 0.85 front and 0.6 or 0.65 rear. TBH 405/395 seems really high and very near stock ride height for the AWD model. I don't have baseline data for RWD as yet but will soon. At those heights you will have less droop and ironically may not ride as well as it could. It's hard to conceptualize and I know it seems counterintuitive. I think 385 to 390 would be the sweet spot for the high setting. Which model of MPP's did you get? Adj or Non adj? One great thing MPP has done on their custom adjustable dampers is allowing for more stroke versus the standard KW V3 kits. Anywhere from 0.5" to 1.0" iirc front to rear respectively. I can't recall which is which but I would imagine more stroke for the rear to create more droop back there would be most helpful to ride quality.

So back to getting your car setup evenly. If you want the front to match the rear so you need to lower the front by 10mm you'll multiply that by the motion ratio of 0.85 and you'll know how much to displace/lower the front spring perch. 10mm x 0.85 = 8.5mm. Don't forget to align the car every time you make height adjustments. Even if the car drives straight doesn't mean you have an alignment that won't rip through your tires or kill energy efficiency. We always use calipers for the greatest accuracy and repeatability. I have actually used my floor standing spring compressor to make quick work of setting spring perch positions in case you're wondering what's going on here.

1624212604970.png

On the AWD model I've actually put my car on scales and found that we can achieve near perfect corner weights with symmetrical ride height front and rear. We are off by about 1% at 135# driver and near dead on at a little over a 200# driver iirc. I'm uncertain about RWD but it will surely be different since there is less weight up front. I would imagine that having the front ride height higher than the rear will produce better corner weights on a RWD. The recommendations from MPP are in reference to retaining symmetrical battery pack clearances if iirc so it will have a forward rake. I'll need to look back at the instructions. I've basically memorized all my settings for AWD TM3's and soon will do the same for the RWD.

1624212809848.png

• Informative
Reactions: evroro and Dave EV
I am doing a couple of RWD comfort non adjustables within the next few weeks for the first time so I'll have data on that specific model for spring perch heights and resulting hub to fender heights. Assuming the motion ratios are the same I believe we're around 0.85 front and 0.6 or 0.65 rear. TBH 405/395 seems really high and very near stock ride height for the AWD model. I don't have baseline data for RWD as yet but will soon. At those heights you will have less droop and ironically may not ride as well as it could. It's hard to conceptualize and I know it seems counterintuitive. I think 385 to 390 would be the sweet spot for the high setting. Which model of MPP's did you get? Adj or Non adj? One great thing MPP has done on their custom adjustable dampers is allowing for more stroke versus the standard KW V3 kits. Anywhere from 0.5" to 1.0" iirc front to rear respectively. I can't recall which is which but I would imagine more stroke for the rear to create more droop back there would be most helpful to ride quality.

So back to getting your car setup evenly. If you want the front to match the rear so you need to lower the front by 10mm you'll multiply that by the motion ratio of 0.85 and you'll know how much to displace/lower the front spring perch. 10mm x 0.85 = 8.5mm. Don't forget to align the car every time you make height adjustments. Even if the car drives straight doesn't mean you have an alignment that won't rip through your tires or kill energy efficiency. We always use calipers for the greatest accuracy and repeatability. I have actually used my floor standing spring compressor to make quick work of setting spring perch positions in case you're wondering what's going on here.

View attachment 675610

On the AWD model I've actually put my car on scales and found that we can achieve near perfect corner weights with symmetrical ride height front and rear. We are off by about 1% at 135# driver and near dead on at a little over a 200# driver iirc. I'm uncertain about RWD but it will surely be different since there is less weight up front. I would imagine that having the front ride height higher than the rear will produce better corner weights on a RWD. The recommendations from MPP are in reference to retaining symmetrical battery pack clearances if iirc so it will have a forward rake. I'll need to look back at the instructions. I've basically memorized all my settings for AWD TM3's and soon will do the same for the RWD.

View attachment 675611
Thanks for that - I should be clear that the 405/395mm F/R numbers were OEM/stock hub-fender heights. Just a baseline - looking to get MPP Comforts (on the fence between fixed/adjustable units) later this year.

Reactions: P3D-R
Thanks for that - I should be clear that the 405/395mm F/R numbers were OEM/stock hub-fender heights. Just a baseline - looking to get MPP Comforts (on the fence between fixed/adjustable units) later this year.
If you can stretch just a bit on the cost, get the adjustable. It's well worth the extra money and additionally the body of the shock is stainless steel so if you're in a winter climate it's going to resist oxidation and rust way better. The Comfort adjustable gives you such an enormous range, from really soft and compliant to firm enough to take it on a track. And the adjustment is real easy too.

Reactions: Dave EV
These just arrived today. I went with the Non Adjustable Comforts because I already have a Porsche Cayman GT4 that I use for performance driving.

I was just curious if any of the suspension gods in this thread had advice on setting these up correctly. I have HR springs on the car currently and I scrape everywhere. ( I have Side Skirts and a Front Lip). Ironically, My GT4 has significantly more ground clearance.

HR Springs suggest a 1.2” drop all around but in my application the front is slammed (1 finger), while the rear is higher (2 finger). Was hoping to raise and even out the stance. Something similar to .7-.9”. If there’s any “ideal” setting, I’d love to hear about it :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.6 KB · Views: 275
  • BFD46C6E-5B46-456B-AB0B-665509C26CFB.jpeg
    BFD46C6E-5B46-456B-AB0B-665509C26CFB.jpeg
    650.4 KB · Views: 289
These just arrived today. I went with the Non Adjustable Comforts because I already have a Porsche Cayman GT4 that I use for performance driving.

I was just curious if any of the suspension gods in this thread had advice on setting these up correctly. I have HR springs on the car currently and I scrape everywhere. ( I have Side Skirts and a Front Lip). Ironically, My GT4 has significantly more ground clearance.

HR Springs suggest a 1.2” drop all around but in my application the front is slammed (1 finger), while the rear is higher (2 finger). Was hoping to raise and even out the stance. Something similar to .7-.9”. If there’s any “ideal” setting, I’d love to hear about it :)
Just look for @P3D-R's posts above for suggestions. He's even in the Bay Area, probably not that far from you if you need help in person. Specifically these two posts:

The short version is this - set the ride height between 365-380 mm from hub to fender front and rear.
I hope this response can provide some insight and value to you guys. I've installed both the adjustable and non adjustables and will say that the non adjustables are amazing if set to their optimal ride height, 365 to 380mm from hub center to fender. If you want to be lower than 365mm then you should go with the adjustables. I personally think 370mm is perfect for them and where I set the car below.

Reactions: dwrecckk
Just look for @P3D-R's posts above for suggestions. He's even in the Bay Area, probably not that far from you if you need help in person. Specifically these two posts:

The short version is this - set the ride height between 365-380 mm from hub to fender front and rear.
Those are billet aluminum forks anodized black! Maybe I should refer to them as forged instead.
My set arrived a few weeks ago. Any recommended installers near New Haven area?

My Model 3 Stealth Performance had plenty of straight line acceleration but the stock suspension was not great on normal road bumps and on winding hill drives.
I tried the Eibach Pro Plus Kit (Lowering springs and Sway bars). The look was great (battery to ground 111 to 115mm) but performance on the hill drive was, on average, worse :(. Especially on corners with bumps / off camber.
I fitted the MPP FLCA solid bearings and MPP FLCR Inserts. Stearing into corners was now clinical, so much more precise. Magic :)
This convinced me to purchase a fit the MPP Comfort Adjustable coilovers:
- I replaced the stiffer Eibach sway bars with the standard Tesla sway bars.
- I set the ride height (battery to ground) to 138mm. Quite high, but the same as the new Highland Model 3.
- I set compression / rebound to the recommended 12 / 12.
Normal road bumps are fine but winding hill drives are now magic. The hill drives just feels right, how far can I push this...
Love it...