Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilovers - How Much More Comfortable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would like to make my 2020 PM3 more comfortable. I find the ride too bumpy and punishing. Every time I see an expansion joint on the freeway I brace myself for impact. Am I being unrealistic expecting the MPP coilovers to make the car liveable or should I make the leap to a Raven Model S with air suspension?

Would like to make my 2020 PM3 more comfortable. I find the ride too bumpy and punishing. Every time I see an expansion joint on the freeway I brace myself for impact. Am I being unrealistic expecting the MPP coilovers to make the car liveable or should I make the leap to a Raven Model S with air suspension?
It’ll help to some extent - maybe switch to 18” wheels too and both together will help soften the ride. Performance cars are not exactly a plush riders as they try to compromise on it for the stability and handling.

I’m personally on 20s with MPP comfort coils and can’t say it’s harsher than any other sports car.

I'm assuming you've got the OEM boat anchor Wheels but what tire do you have on the car? If you got the P Zeros, that's one of your problems. If you have enough money to afford the coilover kit from MPP you probably also have spare coin to get a significant upgrade in terms of Wheels. Get a forged wheel, which can drop about 8 lb a corner, and if you don't have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, get that in the Tesla spec. That combination (lightweight forged wheel and Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) even without the MPP Comfort coilovers will transform your car's ride and handling. It not only will handle way better it will ride way more smoothly. Dropping unsprung weight is critical, and it synergizes with the changes affected by the MPP kit. This includes significantly better rebound dampening, significantly less engagement of the bump stops, and the combination of all of these changes with reduced unsprung weight, better tire, and then the MPP kit will make you feel like you're driving literally a different car. Alternatively you could go to a 19-inch wheel and again get a forged one or even an 18in wheel, but you may not like the aesthetics of that after driving around on 20s. For sure even just a 19-inch wheel will give you significantly more sidewall and you can run a 265 / 35 - 19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on a 9.5 inch wheel and have more traction, better ride, and better looks. None of these options are cheap, but having done this with both of our Model 3 Performance vehicles, it's worth it.

The comfort adjustables are more “comfortable” than the non adjustables. Either way, the ride won’t be a soft Lexus like ride. The coilovers soak up the bumps well but feel sporty.
This is interesting.
Have you tried both on the same car?
in my Opinion my 2021 Model 3 Performance w/20" Uberturbine is "too soft" and I'm considerirg MPP Comfort Coilover Not adjustable. So if you have some feedback I'd be ready to hear it.

This is interesting.
Have you tried both on the same car?
in my Opinion my 2021 Model 3 Performance w/20" Uberturbine is "too soft" and I'm considerirg MPP Comfort Coilover Not adjustable. So if you have some feedback I'd be ready to hear it.
The adjustables are seriously worth the extra money. Particularly if you think the 2021 performance model is too soft. You might feel the same way about the non-adjustable Comfort coilovers.

Reactions: pt19713
I've got the non-adjustable comforts and I have to say.. they are perfect for daily driving. I've driven a P3D stock suspension before, so comparing to the MPP non-adjustables, i'd say the MPP non adjustables is a huge upgrade in ride quality and handling. Most people, like myself, arn't car-savvy enough to be adjusting damper/rebound settings on the fly so cannot justify paying the extra 8-$900. Happy with what MPP has done with the presets for the non-adjustables, no ragrets!

Reactions: KyleM3 and dfwatt
To the OP : I feel the same as you, the ride is bumpy and punishing on my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. Only on certain roads of course, many roads are smooth as butter. I love the car except the ride quality and cabin noise at highway speed. I have the stock 18s with aftermarket Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. The new tires improved grip on twisty mountain roads and improved braking, but ride quality is still the same, no improvement. I tried tire pressure of 45, 41, 37 for long periods, and the ride quality is bad on all of them. I thought about coilovers from MPP or UP, but I predict that it will improve the handling but not the ride comfort *noticeably*. My next car will be a Tesla with air suspension, maybe 2018 Model S 100D. Ride quality and cabin noise are noticeably better on any Model S with air suspension. In summary : Don't get your hopes up about improving the ride quality on the Model 3 or Model Y. For the record, I drove a 2017 Model S with coil suspension and the ride was equally as bumpy as my Model 3.

I've got the non-adjustable comforts and I have to say.. they are perfect for daily driving. I've driven a P3D stock suspension before, so comparing to the MPP non-adjustables, i'd say the MPP non adjustables is a huge upgrade in ride quality and handling. Most people, like myself, arn't car-savvy enough to be adjusting damper/rebound settings on the fly so cannot justify paying the extra 8-$900. Happy with what MPP has done with the presets for the non-adjustables, no ragrets!
Yes you are right, me too I'm not "car-savvy enough to be adjusting damper/rebound settings on the fly ".
The only tproblem with NON adjustable kit is that IF I'm not satisfied (example : too soft than my expection ) i have no room to correct the kit.
If was existing a kit with a pre-set damper setting like the Sport one in the middle adjustment, i'd buy it. But something called "comfort" when i'm searching "stiffness" no.

Yes you are right, me too I'm not "car-savvy enough to be adjusting damper/rebound settings on the fly ".
The only tproblem with NON adjustable kit is that IF I'm not satisfied (example : too soft than my expection ) i have no room to correct the kit.
If was existing a kit with a pre-set damper setting like the Sport one in the middle adjustment, i'd buy it. But something called "comfort" when i'm searching "stiffness" no.
There is one other problem with the non-adjustable kit - it is NOT stainless steel. This becomes a bigger issue in winter climates and, I guess, how long you think you will own your car.

Reactions: conv90 and dfwatt
There is one other problem with the non-adjustable kit - it is NOT stainless steel. This becomes a bigger issue in winter climates and, I guess, how long you think you will own your car.
This is an excellent point and often one neglected in reviews about the pros and cons of spending more money on the adjustable kits. They are made from a very high quality stainless steel and probably would survive salty roads indefinitely. Both our home environments are high salt as we live very close to a salt marsh in Florida and then in New Hampshire of coarse salt is used liberally so this feature made both the Sport and comfort adjustable kits an easy choice.

This is an excellent point and often one neglected in reviews about the pros and cons of spending more money on the adjustable kits. They are made from a very high quality stainless steel and probably would survive salty roads indefinitely. Both our home environments are high salt as we live very close to a salt marsh in Florida and then in New Hampshire of coarse salt is used liberally so this feature made both the Sport and comfort adjustable kits an easy choice.
I live in California so I barely see salt roads unless I go to Tahoe or Mammoth. When I do I always do a pressure wash to make sure I mitigate the corrosion. Just putting in my 2c. If you don’t track you car, save yourself $1k

I live in California so I barely see salt roads unless I go to Tahoe or Mammoth. When I do I always do a pressure wash to make sure I mitigate the corrosion. Just putting in my 2c. If you don’t track you car, save yourself $1k
Tracking your car is not the only reason people buy adjustable shocks after all. Some people like a firmer setup, and some people even like a softer set up than the non-adjustable comforts. With the adjustable shocks you can dial it up to whatever you want. Super firm and great Dynamics or pretty plush. And additionally, assuming you don't dynamically overload the shock and damage valves or seals, wear on the shock can be compensated for by simply dialing up more firmness. We should compare rust and corrosion after 5 years and see if that's maybe another reason people might want to buy the adjustable shocks! You're going to see some even with your protocol of washing the car. I don't think I'll see any. What you saved on your shock absorbers you probably spent on your subwoofer. To each his own. We all have different ideas about what's an acceptable trade-off. The beauty of the Tesla aftermarket is that you can pretty much choose from an enormous range of options to modify your car in any number of ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub715
Tracking your car is not the only reason people buy adjustable shocks after all. Some people like a firmer setup, and some people even like a softer set up than the non-adjustable comforts. With the adjustable shocks you can dial it up to whatever you want. Super firm and great Dynamics or pretty plush. And additionally, assuming you don't dynamically overload the shock and damage valves or seals, wear on the shock can be compensated for by simply dialing up more firmness. We should compare rust and corrosion after 5 years and see if that's maybe another reason people might want to buy the adjustable shocks! You're going to see some even with your protocol of washing the car. I don't think I'll see any. What you saved on your shock absorbers you probably spent on your subwoofer. To each his own. We all have different ideas about what's an acceptable trade-off. The beauty of the Tesla aftermarket is that you can pretty much choose from an enormous range of options to modify your car in any number of ways.
Totally agree 100%. To each it’s own. Maybe I’m just talking myself into thinking I have no buyer remorse :3 maybe just a little haha