Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Comfort Coilovers NVH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I've been doing a lot of reading on the MPP comfort coilovers, but one big thing I can't find any feedback for is whether or not they significantly improve cabin NVH for an M3LR with aero wheels. Is there anyone here who upgraded from this combo?

@Motion122 Are you sure those coilovers give more travel if setup to MPP's recommendations? Would that be more extension travel, but not any more compression travel? In fact I thought compression travel would have to be reduced if the car is lowered (as I believe MPP recommends or requires for all their Model 3 coilovers).

I thought the general wisdom was not to let these cars compress any closer to the ground than the stock suspension allows, regardless of the car's static height. Even if control arm travel allows it, it would be risky to let the battery get that low on a street-driven car.

I'm no expert though, that's just my understanding, definitely open to learning more on the matter!

The coilover's compression and dampening of the struts are paired so it would be a better ride quality compared to just lowering springs. In comparison to the stock suspension, the MPP Comforts should be more less harsh. That being said, they are lowering coilovers so despite them being height adjustable, the ideal ride height would still be lower than stock.

@werty If by NVH you mean cabin road noise levels, I wouldn't expect much change from switching dampers. As long as you stay with stock rubber top hats and bushings cabin noise shouldn't get worse, but I wouldn't expect it to really get better either. For that you should probably look into adding more sound deadening and maybe covering any noisy exterior panel seams.

Ride quality of course could certainly be improved with better damping. The stock ride is okay, but it's not great, it's a little busy and bouncy yet there's no handling payoff for that because the stock dampers actually get real soft and even overwhelmed in really hard driving. Definitely room for improved ride and handling with better damping.

Obviously the tires themselves can make a huge difference in road noise. Foam-lined Tesla spec MXM4s are pretty quiet in my experience, but every tire gets louder as it ages, so if your MXM4s are getting old/worn and you're noise-sensitive it might be worth replacing them even before their tread is all used up. And maybe there's even quieter tires out there. (I don't know of / haven't experienced any tires that were clearly quieter than foam-lined MXM4, but I tend to go for more performance-focused tires.)

Also what year is your Model 3? (Asking cause of the well-discussed NVH improvements made in 2021+ cars.)

Last edited:
@Motion122 Are you sure those coilovers give more travel if setup to MPP's recommendations? Would that be more extension travel, but not any more compression travel? In fact I thought compression travel would have to be reduced if the car is lowered (as I believe MPP recommends or requires for all their Model 3 coilovers).

I thought the general wisdom was not to let these cars compress any closer to the ground than the stock suspension allows, regardless of the car's static height. Even if control arm travel allows it, it would be risky to let the battery get that low on a street-driven car.

I'm no expert though, that's just my understanding, definitely open to learning more on the matter!
Not lowered of course. Can only compare stroke at stock height.

Stock M3s likely engage the secondary springs(go look at the stock bump rubber, it's not just a bump stop) sooner adding to the spring rate and thus increasing harshness. KW simply uses a bump stop with higher spring rates.