Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP compression rod and control arm bearings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
967F87CB-134B-438C-9391-9F7BF65E44AD.jpeg

Tried poking a screwdriver thru one. The indent is only a few mm deep.

Reactions: Lindenwood
An observation. If you buy replacement compression arms from eBay or Rock Auto, the slots in the bushing are solid. There’s a molded relief but not nearly like the OEM part, no daylight passes through. Perhaps just a poor job at Chinese reverse engineering. They might flex less? Of course the rubber could be a different compound and the opposite would be true. I don’t think the inserts would fit in these.
View attachment 811033
On lots of European platforms you will find replacement bushings from Meyle/Febi/Lemforder made to solve the shortcomings of the factory design. I wouldn't be surprise more and more options become available, including HD and polyurethane versions.

I installed my MPP coilovers before the FLCA bearing because of limited space and lifting equipment at home. After getting in a few weeks of driving I got used to them. The difference with the FLCA bearings was immediate and easily half of what I disliked about the stock suspension but didn't know enough to identify. I'm now become a bit of an evangelist about them every time someone talks about a Model 3's turn in or skittishness braking into a turn.

I installed my MPP coilovers before the FLCA bearing because of limited space and lifting equipment at home. After getting in a few weeks of driving I got used to them. The difference with the FLCA bearings was immediate and easily half of what I disliked about the stock suspension but didn't know enough to identify. I'm now become a bit of an evangelist about them every time someone talks about a Model 3's turn in or skittishness braking into a turn.
I love upgrading cars in steps for this reason alone!

lol at the people on the outside that look at a model 3 and scoff....

i keep saying, outside of honda guys and oldschool JDMs....no 3rd party has addressed a need so well as MPP has done.

the need is track use, but the streetability has increased 10fold
Curious how the other car makers are going to fare with their EVs getting aftermarket support like we do.

lol at the people on the outside that look at a model 3 and scoff....

i keep saying, outside of honda guys and oldschool JDMs....no 3rd party has addressed a need so well as MPP has done.

the need is track use, but the streetability has increased 10fold
It takes time for the aftermarket to catch up. The car has only been around for 5 years.

Curious how the other car makers are going to fare with their EVs getting aftermarket support like we do.
i dont even think its about the aftermarket support so much as the actual vehicles that get put into production. From a model 3 to a Mach E, hummer to an Atlis chassis....we will have concepts which steal the narrative..(bollinger B1 is the sickest)

the other car makers are irrelevant....as all car makers will inevitably be all electric in our near future.
Meaning tesla/MPP will have competition because big money will be in BMW, Porshe, Audi, VW and their gear heads wanting more.
It takes time for the aftermarket to catch up. The car has only been around for 5 years.
my thought process is MPP actually eclipsed what may be typical in the aftermarket world... they have nearly perfected the model 3 in just a few years.

i dont even think its about the aftermarket support so much as the actual vehicles that get put into production. From a model 3 to a Mach E, hummer to an Atlis chassis....we will have concepts which steal the narrative..(bollinger B1 is the sickest)

the other car makers are irrelevant....as all car makers will inevitably be all electric in our near future.
Meaning tesla/MPP will have competition because big money will be in BMW, Porshe, Audi, VW and their gear heads wanting more.

my thought process is MPP actually eclipsed what may be typical in the aftermarket world... they have nearly perfected the model 3 in just a few years.
Just wait and see when other legacy tuners have up their sleeves.

• Funny
Reactions: SK360
The first thing we did when we finished designing and machining the inserts was test them in the press against the stock bushing without inserts. You can see a significant improvement of up to 75% deflection reduction at 1500lbs. The MPP.R bearings have essentially 0mm of deflection, so you can see that the jump from stock>inserts is more significant than inserts>bearings.

If anyone has questions, let us know!

do you have any feedback on the bearing durability? as a daily driver?

Because the majority of Tesla owners are not car people, they are techies, and they don't understand much beyond the blurbs of tech specs on the internet that they read somewhere.
The majority of all vehicle owners of any car type are not "car people," it's not unique to Teslas, nor is it because the majority of Tesla owners are "Techies" who you denigrate as idiots that only know what they read on the internet. It's because almost everyone buys a car just to get from point A to B.

Even 90% of Corvettes, Porsches, Ferraris, Camaros, M/AMG's, etc are bought by people that will never modify them, never track them, and just like them because they look fast and give you a little kick when you put your foot down 50% on the throttle getting on an entrance ramp.

The Model 3 isn't even sold into this market. It's a BMW 3 series competitor, so of course the "majority" of buyers aren't car people. You think Tesla could sell 1M cars a year if they only built cars for "Car people"?

Plus, "Techies" have been a huge boon for car culture. They designed Teslas. They made the internet, and without that, imagine how hard it would be for a company like MPP to find customers. And who would have bought Teslas from 2012-2018 when the cars were $100K and nobody was sure they would survive as a company? How's Rimac doing selling only performance electrics to car people?

The irony of posting "they don't understand much beyond the blurbs of tech specs on the internet that they read somewhere." on a Tesla forum on the internet that is discussing performance parts for your Tesla.... :rolleyes:

Plus, "Techies" have been a huge boon for car culture. They designed Teslas. They made the internet, and without that, imagine how hard it would be for a company like MPP to find customers. And who would have bought Teslas from 2012-2018 when the cars were $100K and nobody was sure they would survive as a company? How's Rimac doing selling only performance electrics to car people?
This! It is never lost on us that without the internet, our business would not be possible.

Sure, there are lots of Model 3/Y owners who aren't car people, yet. For many, this is the first time they've ever loved a car enough to try their hand at modifying and customizing it. My job in particular is as much about educating and helping new car enthusiasts as it is about supporting the hardcore people.

It is true that they may not know more than what the blurbs say, so it is our (this group and beyond) job to help them!

The oem ones can have that too when new! It is usually just a very thin layer across the hole that you could poke a hole through easily. Who knows though, maybe they are more durable than the OEM bushings.
Quick question. If somebody has your sport or Comfort adjustable coilover kit plus the lower front control arm bushing and they're not tracking the car do the inserts offer anything on the street that is discernible? I think I've heard somewhere that they reduce understeer? Any increase in nvh? Can they be installed without disassembling anything?

Reactions: blecchus_rex
Quick question. If somebody has your sport or Comfort adjustable coilover kit plus the lower front control arm bushing and they're not tracking the car do the inserts offer anything on the street that is discernible? I think I've heard somewhere that they reduce understeer? Any increase in nvh? Can they be installed without disassembling anything?
At a minimum, you'll need to remove the bolt that holds the compression rod to the subframe. This way you can slide the bushing out and put the inserts in. I don't think you could do it with the compression rod fully installed!

We haven't noticed (or had anyone report) additional NVH from the inserts, probably because they are just hanging out during normal driving and only getting involved when you are either accelerating or decelerating hard enough to compress the bushing.

I don't know if they will reduce understeer, but the main improvement is stability under braking. There will be less squirming!

Reactions: buckets0fun
@dfwatt When I installed the MPP FLCA bearings + MPP compression rod inserts + Redwood front coilovers (didn't get to the rears until a week later) there was no added NVH that I could discern.

I had similar inserts for rubber mount gaps on another car and also couldn't tell any NVH downside from them. (Some other mount and bushing upgrades for that car added expected NVH, but not the inserts.)

I'm very confident the FLCA bearings are part of my car's vastly improved steering response and mid-corner feel, along with the coilovers of course. FLCA bearings are completely worthwhile even just for street use (no plans to track my car).

As for the compression rod inserts...I don't think I've felt the benefit in any of my driving since installing them. Haven't needed to do any panic braking since then. But if they help when panic braking for a deer that jumps out in front of me or my wife on a twisty hillside road someday, then they're worth it to me. (That's pretty likely to happen to us at some point.)

The compression rod inserts were easy to install when taking things apart anyways for the other suspension changes. Took the arm off fully for them. Used a clamp and some light, temporary lubricant (dish oil? WD-40? I forget already) to help squeeze them in. I wouldn't bother with the inserts in isolation for a street-only car, but if installing FLCA bearings and/or coilovers anyways, might as well.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I have the inserts, no increased NVH, and street driving is very responsive. It's a fantastic mod.

Reactions: aspec818