Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Lift Kit Install Instructions, Range Discussion & Driving Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ture to his brand another video about the setup without actually giving the require information in order to be able to replicate it, and a video montage of wrecking his own car like its a company car.

Unknown offset that makes the wheels protrude, (ET+20mm ? 10mm?)
18" wheels,
No idea about wheel width/J (probably 8.5"?)
Tires are toyo Open Country AT3 (https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3) - but we don't know the size (probably 29" overall diameter, last video he mentioned it was 30" and rubbing and he was going to down size)
Great video. I showed this to my wife. Her response was to remind me that the other day I said I wouldn’t be putting a load of brush in the back of my MY to take to the dump, like we did in my CX-5 the other day - ‘But this guy is getting his car totally filthy inside and out!’

Great video. I showed this to my wife. Her response was to remind me that the other day I said I wouldn’t be putting a load of brush in the back of my MY to take to the dump, like we did in my CX-5 the other day - ‘But this guy is getting his car totally filthy inside and out!’
For all we know the guy plans to get/make aftermarket metal bumpers (like the ones you see on Jeep Wranglers) as well as skid plates and thus doesn't care when all of his plastic bits fall off / break.
Maybe worthwhile showing the last video I posted to your wife?
/QUOTE]
This I feel is much more inline with things most people would consider doing with their vehicles

Question for the group: I will definitely be lifting the MY I have on order with the MPP 1.75” lift kit. Since mine will be the LR AWD version, does the group know if that gives the ability for a larger tire than being guessed at so far? Because it’s my understanding that the performance version is lower than the long range version. I’m thinking I’ll use an 18” rim and I know nothing about how to size things properly so would really appreciate the help figuring it out! i1 Tesla said the 30” (255/55R19) was rubbing so he was going to try 29.6” tall setup next (245/60R18) - but his is a Performance model that he raised 1.75” so wouldn’t an LR have maybe an inch more meaning what is rubbing for him may not rub on a LR model? Also I would like my tires to stick out a little - his don’t look like they do to me - would I need spacers to accomplish this? The A/T tires seem to have very limited sizes so wondering if a 255/55R18 may work for tires? I would offer up the “knuckle measurement” if I had the car but unfortunately still awaiting arrival :(. Thus trying to figure out what to order for rims & tires so can have the lift and rims/tires installed upon arrival.

If a +20 offset works for a rim - does this possibly work ?
18" DIAMETER (18" x 9")
[+20 Offset, 5x114.3 Bolt Pattern, 78.1mm Hub]

Last edited:
If a +20 offset works for a rim - does this possibly work ?
18" DIAMETER (18" x 9")
[+20 Offset, 5x114.3 Bolt Pattern, 78.1mm Hub]

You won't really know until you or someone else tries.

Question for the group: I will definitely be lifting the MY I have on order with the MPP 1.75” lift kit. Since mine will be the LR AWD version, does the group know if that gives the ability for a larger tire than being guessed at so far? Because it’s my understanding that the performance version is lower than the long range version. I’m thinking I’ll use an 18” rim and I know nothing about how to size things properly so would really appreciate the help figuring it out! i1 Tesla said the 30” (255/55R19) was rubbing so he was going to try 29.6” tall setup next (245/60R18) - but his is a Performance model that he raised 1.75” so wouldn’t an LR have maybe an inch more meaning what is rubbing for him may not rub on a LR model? Also I would like my tires to stick out a little - his don’t look like they do to me - would I need spacers to accomplish this?

I would take anything the i1 guy says with a grain of salt. He initially claimed that he installed a 4" lift kit. He also talks a lot without saying anything. No offense intended to him, he's trying to make money on "clicks." But I'd consider his videos entertainment rather than informative or reliable. Just my opinion.

Yes, you may have less of a rubbing problem due to the extra 3/4" or so of ride height on the AWD. You're just going to have to get the car lifted and then find a tire shop that will test fit the size you want. Try and avoid spacers if possible. Get wheels with the offset you want.

Reactions: Atraf
@HeartSong I agree with what @Nakk said fully, I also gave best guess to what would work but nothing is confirmed.

Here is an excellent video about all terrain tires:
Its not apples to apples but the concepts are solid.

For the Model Y, the limiting factor is the front upper knuckle:
Front Upper Knuckle Tesla Model 3 mounted on 8.5J ET+40 Explained.jpeg
This picture is from a Model 3 but it should basically be the same.

The lift seats between the car and the suspension, way above the front upper knuckle, just like in the Subaru video, it doesn't change the tire limiting size, in theory, whatever you find to be the biggest tire that can fit ... would fit all the same with or without the lift kit.
Having said that, there's another way to go about it, if you get enough offset ... you will essentially be relocating the wheel next (instead of under) the upper knuckle, at that point the only thing you have to worry about is rubbing the inner wheel well.
If you choose to use big offset to dodge the knuckle ... keep in mind that due to changes in wheel location geometry you will be losing about 30% of your range.
Also, all terrain tires are not as efficient as all season or summer tires so you will be further losing even more range. before factoring cold/hot weather .... you can easily expect to only have 150 miles of range (if that), so you might want to stick to getting as close to the knuckle and as close (but not to the point of protruding) to the edges of the car for wheel location.

I am making many assumptions here about your plans and needs, for all I know this could be your weekend adventure car and you might also never be going further than 50 miles from your house, at which point you can easily do as crazy of a build as you want and not worry about range or anything really....

Example: "Safari" Model 3:
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 10.54.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 10.54.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 10.54.01 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: EchoDelta and Nakk
@HeartSong I agree with what @Nakk said fully, I also gave best guess to what would work but nothing is confirmed.

Here is an excellent video about all terrain tires:
Its not apples to apples but the concepts are solid.

For the Model Y, the limiting factor is the front upper knuckle:
View attachment 590903 This picture is from a Model 3 but it should basically be the same.

The lift seats between the car and the suspension, way above the front upper knuckle, just like in the Subaru video, it doesn't change the tire limiting size, in theory, whatever you find to be the biggest tire that can fit ... would fit all the same with or without the lift kit.
Having said that, there's another way to go about it, if you get enough offset ... you will essentially be relocating the wheel next (instead of under) the upper knuckle, at that point the only thing you have to worry about is rubbing the inner wheel well.
If you choose to use big offset to dodge the knuckle ... keep in mind that due to changes in wheel location geometry you will be losing about 30% of your range.
Also, all terrain tires are not as efficient as all season or summer tires so you will be further losing even more range. before factoring cold/hot weather .... you can easily expect to only have 150 miles of range (if that), so you might want to stick to getting as close to the knuckle and as close (but not to the point of protruding) to the edges of the car for wheel location.

I am making many assumptions here about your plans and needs, for all I know this could be your weekend adventure car and you might also never be going further than 50 miles from your house, at which point you can easily do as crazy of a build as you want and not worry about range or anything really....

Example: "Safari" Model 3:
View attachment 590904 View attachment 590905 View attachment 590906
Perfect - thank you both!! @Nakk and @Atraf - Great information about what I need to keep in mind for this daily driver vehicle regarding offsets vs spacers, mileage impact of tires, impact of sizing near/around the knuckle, etc!! I’ll watch the videos provided and take the suggestion on seeing if a tire shop can do a test fitting after adding the lift. It will be a few months but will share results after delivery and once it is all completed.

Feel free to share any additional thoughts that come to mind in the meantime since as a girl trying to talk to a tire shop about these considerations is going to be awkward for me to say the least :) Wish me luck!

Reactions: paramer and Nakk
Perfect - thank you both!! @Nakk and @Atraf - Great information about what I need to keep in mind for this daily driver vehicle regarding offsets vs spacers, mileage impact of tires, impact of sizing near/around the knuckle, etc!! I’ll watch the videos provided and take the suggestion on seeing if a tire shop can do a test fitting after adding the lift. It will be a few months but will share results after delivery and once it is all completed.

Feel free to share any additional thoughts that come to mind in the meantime since as a girl trying to talk to a tire shop about these considerations is going to be awkward for me to say the least :) Wish me luck!

Glad to help.

When you get access to any Model Y (even one parked on the street...) to get an idea of max fitment, try to see how much space there's between the top of the front tire and the upper knuckle, then note down that car's tire size (ex: 235/45R18), then plug that tire size here:
Tire Size Calculator
Next up look at diameter, for every 1 inch you add there's technically only half inch upwords movement in terms of how much closer the bigger tire gets to the knuckle, so, if when you measure the gap between a tire and upper knuckle you see lets say 1 full inch, that means you can have a diameter of whatever that car has (determ via above calculator) + 2 inches.

Now here's something to consider, centrifugal force causes tires to expend, so does heat and added air pressure (from heat), for example the 255/45R18 Continental DWS06 all season tires have diameter of 27" when cold, their maximum operational size (so, at about 178mph in 110f weather) is 27.44" keep in mind that this is most pronounced towards the center of the tire and the upper knuckle is located towards the shoulder of the tire, also, if you get any offset thats more aggressive than OEM (ex, +30mm instead of +40mm) it will move the tire slightly away from the knuckle, not enough to clear it unless if the tire pokes out of the car but some... this will make you less susceptible to rubbing against the knuckle (but potentially more susceptible to rubbing against inner wheel).

One other way to combat this is to get a wider than stock wheel, for example the Model 3 has wheel width of 8.5" (sometimes referred to as 8.5J) if you were to swap it with a 9" width wheel (so going from 18x8.5 to 18x9.0) the tire enlargement effect will be less pronounced, having said that, each tire has a range of supported wheel width, ex: a Falken WildPeak AT only supports up to 8.5" so even if you found a shop that was willing to install it ...and visually it looked okay, it might not be such a good idea to run with it.

Lastly, about shops, some shops have a policy where every tire you mount is yours to keep (after you pay for it...) so trying out tires might be expensive, if you try used tires it might be misleading as with most of the thread gone it might look like it could fit ....

Looking forward to your findings, please do share them with us when time comes =)

• Helpful
Reactions: HeartSong
Hey all,

I too have been really interested in the MPP lift and upsizing tires. We live in a rural area with lots of crap roads - so I'm not trying to make this thing an overland rig - just a little more clearance for the ruts and snow... I reached out to I1 Tesla multiple times and got no good info... However, I did stumble into a great situation - and wanted to share everything I've learned so far.

It's kind of a long story with lots of boring details that I won't go through unless you ask - but I ended up calling a wheel, tire and suspension shop near Seattle to ask about getting new wheels and tires and it just so happened that they were doing the exact same thing for another Model Y at the time (so random). Originally that other person was just upsizing their tires, using the stock 19" rims... they tried 255/55/19 Continental Terrain Contact tires but they rubbed the suspension knuckle in the front. Using a 1/4" spacer, they were able to eliminate the rub.

The guy at the shop suggested that I look into different offsets since I was going to get new wheels anyway... I figured, if I could get wheels with an offset that moves the wheel out at least 1/4" I should be good. Since I also wanted to go with 18" wheels, I headed over to willtheyfit.com and started looking at spacing. Turns out - with an 8.5" rim and 35mm offset, the outer face of the rim doesn't change position much, but the inner surface moves out quite a bit (22.7mm or 0.89 inches). If you haven't been to willtheyfit.com, it's an awesome resource. I didn't know squat about tires/wheels/offset before exploring the site.

Anyway...

After talking with this wheel shop more - it turns out the other customer wasn't super happy with the 19s plus spacers, so he worked with the shop to find other options. The shop is a Black Rhino dealer, and the shop guy there did a ton of research to find 18" wheels that would fit, and have the right load rating. At the end of the day the other owner ended up going with 18" Black Rhino Barstow wheels (18x8 with 30mm offset) and 245/60/18 Falken Wildpeaks.

I personally don't like the way the Barstows look, and they are pretty heavy, as are the Falkens. So I'm going with Black Rhino Mozambique 18x8.5 with 35mm offset and Yokohama G015s. The Mozambiques only weigh 25lbs (I know they aren't as light as the Martians, but they are also cheaper and look truck-ier - if that's a word) The G015s are also lighter than the Falkens in the same size. (Stock 19" wheels are ~30lbs and the stock tires are ~26lbs -> the Mozambiques are 25lbs and the G015s are 33lbs so the setup is still a little heavier, but not grossly) It would appear as though Black Rhino wheels that are Rotary Forged, should (check for yourself, I make no guarantees) fit the brakes, and they are generally truck wheels, so the load rating is good to go. (Black Rhino is part of TSW wheels, so they are good quality)

My Model Y should be showing up any day now? Hopefully? - this shop is going to do the MPP lift install and the wheels and tires for me all at once - with an alignment in there too.

So I need to give a shout out - If you are in the Seattle area - the shop is called Kirkland Tire Pros, the guy I was dealing with there is Aaron - and the customer service has been second to none. Literally a 36 email chain of back and forth with questions, comments, and pictures... unreal. And to know that he worked so hard with this other guy to get the exact right wheel/tire combo... I can't believe I stumbled into it.

Anyway - when I get it all installed I'll be sure to come back and post pics and let you know how it goes firsthand.

Hey all,

I too have been really interested in the MPP lift and upsizing tires. We live in a rural area with lots of crap roads - so I'm not trying to make this thing an overland rig - just a little more clearance for the ruts and snow... I reached out to I1 Tesla multiple times and got no good info... However, I did stumble into a great situation - and wanted to share everything I've learned so far.

It's kind of a long story with lots of boring details that I won't go through unless you ask - but I ended up calling a wheel, tire and suspension shop near Seattle to ask about getting new wheels and tires and it just so happened that they were doing the exact same thing for another Model Y at the time (so random). Originally that other person was just upsizing their tires, using the stock 19" rims... they tried 255/55/19 Continental Terrain Contact tires but they rubbed the suspension knuckle in the front. Using a 1/4" spacer, they were able to eliminate the rub.

The guy at the shop suggested that I look into different offsets since I was going to get new wheels anyway... I figured, if I could get wheels with an offset that moves the wheel out at least 1/4" I should be good. Since I also wanted to go with 18" wheels, I headed over to willtheyfit.com and started looking at spacing. Turns out - with an 8.5" rim and 35mm offset, the outer face of the rim doesn't change position much, but the inner surface moves out quite a bit (22.7mm or 0.89 inches). If you haven't been to willtheyfit.com, it's an awesome resource. I didn't know squat about tires/wheels/offset before exploring the site.

Anyway...

After talking with this wheel shop more - it turns out the other customer wasn't super happy with the 19s plus spacers, so he worked with the shop to find other options. The shop is a Black Rhino dealer, and the shop guy there did a ton of research to find 18" wheels that would fit, and have the right load rating. At the end of the day the other owner ended up going with 18" Black Rhino Barstow wheels (18x8 with 30mm offset) and 245/60/18 Falken Wildpeaks.

I personally don't like the way the Barstows look, and they are pretty heavy, as are the Falkens. So I'm going with Black Rhino Mozambique 18x8.5 with 35mm offset and Yokohama G015s. The Mozambiques only weigh 25lbs (I know they aren't as light as the Martians, but they are also cheaper and look truck-ier - if that's a word) The G015s are also lighter than the Falkens in the same size. (Stock 19" wheels are ~30lbs and the stock tires are ~26lbs -> the Mozambiques are 25lbs and the G015s are 33lbs so the setup is still a little heavier, but not grossly) It would appear as though Black Rhino wheels that are Rotary Forged, should (check for yourself, I make no guarantees) fit the brakes, and they are generally truck wheels, so the load rating is good to go. (Black Rhino is part of TSW wheels, so they are good quality)

My Model Y should be showing up any day now? Hopefully? - this shop is going to do the MPP lift install and the wheels and tires for me all at once - with an alignment in there too.

So I need to give a shout out - If you are in the Seattle area - the shop is called Kirkland Tire Pros, the guy I was dealing with there is Aaron - and the customer service has been second to none. Literally a 36 email chain of back and forth with questions, comments, and pictures... unreal. And to know that he worked so hard with this other guy to get the exact right wheel/tire combo... I can't believe I stumbled into it.

Anyway - when I get it all installed I'll be sure to come back and post pics and let you know how it goes firsthand.
Thats awesome! I can't wait to hear how it works out for you, thank you for sharing all of the above!

And yeah that i1 guy is full of it

Hey all,

Anyway...

Really helpful info - I was leaning towards a Fuel wheel if it would fit but since you provided great details on Black Rhino, I’ll be sure to take a look at them as well, thanks!

Reactions: Tipk99
Hey all,

Anyway...

I think I have spoken with Aaron a few times. Great to hear they have good service, I will keep that in mind for when we have another Seattle customer looking for a shop!

Reactions: Tipk99
Hey All,

Just thought I'd post an update.... finally got the MPP lift done. Also replaced the stock 19s with 18" Black Rhinos Mozambiques. We just got our first snowfall last week - and temps are dropping - so rather than a set of ATs I got Conti VikingContact 7s for the winter. I'll replace them with some mile AT tires this spring.

I live in the Methow Valley - North Central Washington - and as you can see I've already got some valley dirt on the car there. I"m not really shooting to make this an off-road beast or anything silly like that. I just need a little more sidewall and a little more clearance to handle the road I live on... we also do lots of hiking and mountain biking.

It drives similarly to the way it drove pre-lift and wheels. You can feel a touch more roll in the twistys, probably from the increased height and sidewall. But overall not too terribly different. It "feels" bigger - and is noticeably taller - even though the total lift between MPP and larger tires is really only 2.5". I will update more when I have better efficiency numbers.

Huge shout out to Aaron and the folks at Tire Pros Kirkland. They were awesome!

If any of you have questions, I"m happy to answer.

(Oh, and I"m selling my 19" Geminis and tires if anyone in WA is interested)

20201018_150856.jpg

Hey All,

Just thought I'd post an update.... finally got the MPP lift done. Also replaced the stock 19s with 18" Black Rhinos Mozambiques. We just got our first snowfall last week - and temps are dropping - so rather than a set of ATs I got Conti VikingContact 7s for the winter. I'll replace them with some mile AT tires this spring.

I live in the Methow Valley - North Central Washington - and as you can see I've already got some valley dirt on the car there. I"m not really shooting to make this an off-road beast or anything silly like that. I just need a little more sidewall and a little more clearance to handle the road I live on... we also do lots of hiking and mountain biking.

It drives similarly to the way it drove pre-lift and wheels. You can feel a touch more roll in the twistys, probably from the increased height and sidewall. But overall not too terribly different. It "feels" bigger - and is noticeably taller - even though the total lift between MPP and larger tires is really only 2.5". I will update more when I have better efficiency numbers.

View attachment 599989
I’m located in Seattle and was looking to get the same thing done. How much was the install cost?

Hey All,

View attachment 599989
That looks awesome! What size tires and wheels did you end up with?

I’m located in Seattle and was looking to get the same thing done. How much was the install cost?
@PNWLeccy Reach out to Kirkland Tire Pros, ask for Aaron... Very reasonable pricing. I'm hesitant to say because I was the first MPP kit they'd done and I don't know if they'll change their pricing after doing mine... . But it cost me less than I thought it would...

• Informative
Reactions: EchoDelta
That looks awesome! What size tires and wheels did you end up with?
@MountainPass They are 245/60/18s on Black Rhino 18x8.5 with a 35mm offset. The tires right now are Conti Vikingcontact 7s for the winter.

The place I got the wheels and tires had tried larger diameter tires on another Model Y and decided this was the largest you could do before rubbing or taking other drastic measures.

I just took it up a supper rutted out gravel road to do some mountain biking and it worked great!