Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Lift Kit Install Instructions, Range Discussion & Driving Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious about the rear alignment. Were there any issues with negative camber? Mountain Pass Performance recommends their

MPP Arastradero Model 3/Y Rear Camber Arms to correct for negative camber. Has anybody purchased this kit to complete their lift project?

• Informative
Reactions: EchoDelta
It does indeed, so it is a good idea to grab our adjustable arms and get it dialed back in!
How does the lift kit interact with the two variants of coilovers you make [adjustable and non-adjustable]? does comfort coilover+lift kit = no camber change since one lifts and own lowers? how about the adjustable comfort + lift kit? no camber change if at max height but as soon as you adjust downwards you need the rear camber arm to correct for camber?

How does the lift kit interact with the two variants of coilovers you make [adjustable and non-adjustable]? does comfort coilover+lift kit = no camber change since one lifts and own lowers? how about the adjustable comfort + lift kit? no camber change if at max height but as soon as you adjust downwards you need the rear camber arm to correct for camber?
The rear camber change on the Model 3 and Model Y is directly related to the ride height. If you were to set your coilovers to the stock height, the rear camber would be the same as stock.

If you used any combination of coilovers or lift kit and raised or lowered the vehicle, the camber will change relative to that ride height change. Lowering results in more negative camber and raising results in more positive camber. We are running the Comfort Adjustable Coilovers and Lift Kit on our shop Model Y, but since it is higher than stock we needed to lengthen our rear camber arms.

I hope that answers your question!

Hey all,

I too have been really interested in the MPP lift and upsizing tires. We live in a rural area with lots of crap roads - so I'm not trying to make this thing an overland rig - just a little more clearance for the ruts and snow... I reached out to I1 Tesla multiple times and got no good info... However, I did stumble into a great situation - and wanted to share everything I've learned so far.

It's kind of a long story with lots of boring details that I won't go through unless you ask - but I ended up calling a wheel, tire and suspension shop near Seattle to ask about getting new wheels and tires and it just so happened that they were doing the exact same thing for another Model Y at the time (so random). Originally that other person was just upsizing their tires, using the stock 19" rims... they tried 255/55/19 Continental Terrain Contact tires but they rubbed the suspension knuckle in the front. Using a 1/4" spacer, they were able to eliminate the rub.

The guy at the shop suggested that I look into different offsets since I was going to get new wheels anyway... I figured, if I could get wheels with an offset that moves the wheel out at least 1/4" I should be good. Since I also wanted to go with 18" wheels, I headed over to willtheyfit.com and started looking at spacing. Turns out - with an 8.5" rim and 35mm offset, the outer face of the rim doesn't change position much, but the inner surface moves out quite a bit (22.7mm or 0.89 inches). If you haven't been to willtheyfit.com, it's an awesome resource. I didn't know squat about tires/wheels/offset before exploring the site.

Anyway...

After talking with this wheel shop more - it turns out the other customer wasn't super happy with the 19s plus spacers, so he worked with the shop to find other options. The shop is a Black Rhino dealer, and the shop guy there did a ton of research to find 18" wheels that would fit, and have the right load rating. At the end of the day the other owner ended up going with 18" Black Rhino Barstow wheels (18x8 with 30mm offset) and 245/60/18 Falken Wildpeaks.

I personally don't like the way the Barstows look, and they are pretty heavy, as are the Falkens. So I'm going with Black Rhino Mozambique 18x8.5 with 35mm offset and Yokohama G015s. The Mozambiques only weigh 25lbs (I know they aren't as light as the Martians, but they are also cheaper and look truck-ier - if that's a word) The G015s are also lighter than the Falkens in the same size. (Stock 19" wheels are ~30lbs and the stock tires are ~26lbs -> the Mozambiques are 25lbs and the G015s are 33lbs so the setup is still a little heavier, but not grossly) It would appear as though Black Rhino wheels that are Rotary Forged, should (check for yourself, I make no guarantees) fit the brakes, and they are generally truck wheels, so the load rating is good to go. (Black Rhino is part of TSW wheels, so they are good quality)

My Model Y should be showing up any day now? Hopefully? - this shop is going to do the MPP lift install and the wheels and tires for me all at once - with an alignment in there too.

So I need to give a shout out - If you are in the Seattle area - the shop is called Kirkland Tire Pros, the guy I was dealing with there is Aaron - and the customer service has been second to none. Literally a 36 email chain of back and forth with questions, comments, and pictures... unreal. And to know that he worked so hard with this other guy to get the exact right wheel/tire combo... I can't believe I stumbled into it.

Anyway - when I get it all installed I'll be sure to come back and post pics and let you know how it goes firsthand.
How'd it all go? I'm drawn to the Geolander tires too but tirerack.com show reduced efficiency. Any range impact?

The rear camber change on the Model 3 and Model Y is directly related to the ride height. If you were to set your coilovers to the stock height, the rear camber would be the same as stock.

If you used any combination of coilovers or lift kit and raised or lowered the vehicle, the camber will change relative to that ride height change. Lowering results in more negative camber and raising results in more positive camber. We are running the Comfort Adjustable Coilovers and Lift Kit on our shop Model Y, but since it is higher than stock we needed to lengthen our rear camber arms.

I hope that answers your question!
Thanks for the details. I would have not inferred this on my own from the info on the website. Or maybe i missed it. So what’s all that is needed to have the lift kit+adjustable suspension and have no camber impact?
I am interested in doing this to my Y. Do you have a video review showing the install on your shop vehicle, how the suspension is adjusted etc? Suspension noob looking for help here :)

Reactions: gt2690b
I’m a Tesla newbie considering the lift. Great write up, fantastic details on range testing.
I think I’m sold.
With this lift it places Y right along side market competition, most of whom have ground clearance around 8.5” rather than the 6.6” on the Y.
Going this low from my last few XUV’s has been a little disheartening.
in the past few years I’ve enjoyed an Outback, an Ascent, and an X5 so fearing parking on a curb kinda stinks!

Thanks

Hey All,

Just thought I'd post an update.... finally got the MPP lift done. Also replaced the stock 19s with 18" Black Rhinos Mozambiques. We just got our first snowfall last week - and temps are dropping - so rather than a set of ATs I got Conti VikingContact 7s for the winter. I'll replace them with some mile AT tires this spring.

I live in the Methow Valley - North Central Washington - and as you can see I've already got some valley dirt on the car there. I"m not really shooting to make this an off-road beast or anything silly like that. I just need a little more sidewall and a little more clearance to handle the road I live on... we also do lots of hiking and mountain biking.

It drives similarly to the way it drove pre-lift and wheels. You can feel a touch more roll in the twistys, probably from the increased height and sidewall. But overall not too terribly different. It "feels" bigger - and is noticeably taller - even though the total lift between MPP and larger tires is really only 2.5". I will update more when I have better efficiency numbers.

Huge shout out to Aaron and the folks at Tire Pros Kirkland. They were awesome!

If any of you have questions, I"m happy to answer.

(Oh, and I"m selling my 19" Geminis and tires if anyone in WA is interested)

View attachment 599989

I have the Long Range Model Y with the stock 19" Gemini Wheels and looking to lift the suspension using MPP Lift Kit. Can you share whether yours was a Long Range Y or Performance Y. Do we also have to go with 18" wheels to accommodate the change or can I just keep my 19" Gemini. Appreciate your response

I have the Long Range Model Y with the stock 19" Gemini Wheels and looking to lift the suspension using MPP Lift Kit. Can you share whether yours was a Long Range Y or Performance Y. Do we also have to go with 18" wheels to accommodate the change or can I just keep my 19" Gemini. Appreciate your response
You can keep your wheels the exact same! You will still get the ride height increase as promised.

Reactions: EchoDelta
Any more testimonials here? Just ordered LR Y and want to know if i need camber arms as well to do the lift.. any one have shop recommendations in the denver area?

Lifted LR Y, been testing for 2 weeks and everything seems to normal. The first thing you would notice is the increase in height, its as tall as X, slight adjustment in getting and out, the ride itself is a bit bumpy other than that I didn't notice anything, minimal impact on range if any. I'd strongly recommend camber arms. Ask me any other q's that you have

Lifted LR Y, been testing for 2 weeks and everything seems to normal. The first thing you would notice is the increase in height, its as tall as X, slight adjustment in getting and out, the ride itself is a bit bumpy other than that I didn't notice anything, minimal impact on range if any. I'd strongly recommend camber arms. Ask me any other q's that you have
did you get the camber arms? are they only required if you can't get the factory camber back or is it basically a certainty you cant get the factory camber without the arms? did you get tow arms as well?

did you get the camber arms? are they only required if you can't get the factory camber back or is it basically a certainty you cant get the factory camber without the arms? did you get tow arms as well?
Same here, mpp lift kit and adjustable camber arms. same shop as mentioned earlier in the thread (Kirkland tire pros). Toe arms was not recommended by them. They also did alignment. I Kept default wheels and tires for now until I have more free time, but definitely would like more sidewall. Will go up into the cascades this week we’ll see how it goes- I have 1.5 h of driving on rutted and pitted roads and a small river fording to ahead.