Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP Model 3 Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That first pic of the car stock I believe is at whole foods in San Mateo?? Super excited to see the model three getting some work done to make it trackable. My two biggest concerns are weight and overheating. Do you have any input on either one of those issues?

We're here at GridLife now and I wish I had more time to post to keep you guys all updated. I would suggest following our Instagram at @MountainPassPerformance for all of the updates, as we are able to push updates through while busy!

IMG_20180605_185451.jpg

Quickly - our original weight posted above was incorrect - we must have had a scale reading incorrectly. The car is actually 3890lbs, not 3800lbs. Sorry! The wheels and tires increased the weight by 2lbs, simply because of the weight of the much larger tires.

IMG_20180606_115119.jpg

It's been an incredible last few days here at Grid Life. This event is wild, there are over 10,000 people. Some are here for Time Attack, some for Drifting, and others just for the concert with some famous artists. I'm really proud to say that we have the first Model 3 in the world to compete in motorsport, and I think we did a really good job showing how capable this car is.

Everyone has been obsessing over both Blue Lightning and the Tesla. We're actually amazed at how many people are in love with the Tesla. The wheels are a huge hit, but the performance of the car has everyone very surprised as well. I don't think I made a post about that, but we got the Advan RGIII's on the car in 19x9+25 and 19x10+35 with 245/275 RE71R. This is just our track setup. You wouldn't want to run this on the street! Our efficiency went from ~150wh/km to over 220wh/km on the highway!

Unfortunately I've never driven this track before, so my own driving has left some to be desired, and with changing weather conditions it's been tricky to master the track. Either way we're faster than many purpose built cars for this class.

Hopefully I'll have time to make a longer post about the event, but right now it's 11:30pm and I want to get some real information out there for those interested.

The car was not enjoyable for the first few sessions. With the factory stability control on the drive unit would not apply full power unless there was very little lateral G / steering angle input. I suspect this is a new update as the car in California did not exhibit this behavior at ALL.

Secondly any aggressive driving was shut down by the stability control, to the point where if you would drive the car at the limit there would be significant laptime loss as the VDC continues to pulse the outside front brakes. I suspect the higher G forces from these RE71-R tires are making the problem worse.

LRG_DSC02543.jpeg

We were able to disable the VDC while retaining ABS, and that was a difference of over 5 seconds per lap personally. Obviously results will differ based on driving style / level / car setup. But the fact that the drive unit would not apply power while turning is basically the same as putting in a rookie driver that doesn't accelerate until the car is totally in the straight away, so you can imagine the lap time gain from that change alone.

Even with Motul RBF660 and Ferrodo DS2500 pads I managed to boil the fluid after about 3 hot laps and the pedal went to the floor. Note that I am a pretty late braker and this was consistently 1.1G's in every braking zone of decel. The pads also faded before the fluid boiled, I guess I should have taken the hint :)

We then installed the larger rotors and pads and haven't had any brake degradation since then, even with the relatively mild DS2500 pad compound. I'll pound some more laps tomorrow to see if I can overheat the brakes, but I think this rotor upgrade is all that is needed for a very trackable setup.

IMG_20180607_201331.jpg

The first two sessions with the car I was in the 1:47's, and after the brake upgrade, setup changes, and stability control improvements the time was down at a 1:42.9. I'm confident there is another 1.5 seconds in it as well. The fastest car in our class was a C6 Z06 I believe, who did a 1:38.9, who is someone that knows the track well and has been coming here regularly. So only 4 seconds off of a car like that is something I can live with. Although I'd like the gap to be smaller :)

IMG_20180608_180619.jpg

You can see a screenshot of the data from the initial lap to the best lap I have data on so far. The data trace below is of a 1:43 lap as I didn't have the Motec in the Model 3 at the time of the 1:42 - it was in Blue Lightning :) We've been swapping ECU's and reflashing firmware all weekend long!

LRG_DSC02525.jpeg

Look carefully at the "Throttle Position" and "Motor Power" - on the white lines (the slower lap) you can see many instances where I was requesting full power but only getting 40-60kW. Needless to say that ruins the exit speed onto the next straight! You can also see the big difference in braking that comes from confidence that the brakes will be there for me when needed.

Model 3 Gridlife Data.png

That's about it for today. One more day on track tomorrow but no more competitions. Blue Lightning did really well today, I only ran 3 laps in it all week as we've been focusing on the Model 3, but that bit me in the ass today in competition as we qualified in a poor spot - which meant we had to go up against the 2nd fastest car in our class - a high horsepower AWD car with aero on a wet track :) I won the first battle but unfortunately I drove too aggressively on my second lap and got into a big slide and threw away a chance to move on to the next round. Sorry EV lovers! Everyone loved the competition though and were amazed at how capable these STREET car EVs were.

Remember that we are competing with 100% street cars against purpose built cars here - so we're really proud to show the capabilities of these cars and we've been talking to heaps of people who keep telling us this is the future (thanks for letting us know!) and showing interest in buying a new car. We've had a number of Model 3 reservation holders come see the car too - having never seen a Model 3 before but now seeing a modified one racing on track!

More cool stuff to share tomorrow.. I had a pro drive the Tesla and he loved it, and Chris Forsberg (a professional drift driver) drove Blue Lighting and also really enjoyed it. We're doing our best to spread the EV word! Still so much to learn / do / improve...

LRG_DSC02515.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_112320.jpg
    IMG_20180606_112320.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 78
Think the factor in the efficiency loss is more so the sticky tires? Or the width?

Really like the stance with those wheels:)

Damn... wanted to keep my BMW M3 for weekend track days and use my Tesla M3 for weekday commute... this is makes me wonder why keep my BMW M3? Excuse me while I let my BMW M3 engine rev it’s 8 cylinders to 8k rpm to try and convince me to keep it... lol.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dgaultiere
So just curious about how the car handled battery temps? I am really curious to know if a model 3 can handle 20 min sessions on a decently hot day or will it start to pull power?
The performance issues in the past for Teslas really had little to do with the battery. The biggest issue was heating of the motor, specifically the rotor. As the 3 does not use the same motor design (PMAC vs induction), it does not have that issue based on the few reports of others who have done some track days. If you do search, somewhere here on the forum took their 3 to Laguna Seca and had no performance issues regarding battery or motor temps. The brakes on the other hand are/were an issue and clearly Sasha can attest to.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
The performance issues in the past for Teslas really had little to do with the battery. The biggest issue was heating of the motor, specifically the rotor. As the 3 does not use the same motor design (PMAC vs induction), it does not have that issue based on the few reports of others who have done some track days. If you do search, somewhere here on the forum took their 3 to Laguna Seca and had no performance issues regarding battery or motor temps. The brakes on the other hand are/were an issue and clearly Sasha can attest to.
Just want to add, I believe I misspoke in regards to the component of the motor that causes the heat issues. I believe it should be the stator, not the rotor that gets too hot and therefore has to limit power.

Think the factor in the efficiency loss is more so the sticky tires? Or the width?

Really like the stance with those wheels:)

Damn... wanted to keep my BMW M3 for weekend track days and use my Tesla M3 for weekday commute... this is makes me wonder why keep my BMW M3? Excuse me while I let my BMW M3 engine rev it’s 8 cylinders to 8k rpm to try and convince me to keep it... lol.

Because no one wants to buy it lol...

I just sold my IS-F to get my model 3. AWD or Performance is the real question o_O?

Sorry guys! It's been a pretty busy week since getting back. I just finished a blog post on the website which says more or less the same as I've posted above, but the images will all work:

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/gridlife-and-the-first-model-3-in-competition-worldwide/

I'm going to upload two images that compare the braking efficiency from the factory rotors with the DS2500 pads to the DS2500 pads with our rotors. With just the DS2500's there was too much rear brake bias - which was causing the car to get some yaw and the ABS seemed to be very active when this was occuring.

With a little bit more front bias from the bigger disc the ABS was less intrusive and the car was able to maintain ~1.05G's in braking.

OE Disc / DS2500 / OE Rear Pad:

DS2500_OEROTOR.jpg

MPP Disc / DS2500 / OE Rear Pad:
DS2500_MPPROTOR.jpg

Here is a quick teaser video of some clips from the track:

We are heading to the Toronto / Vaughan Tesla Model 3 meet tonight, so if anyone is in the Toronto area I hope you can make it! We'll have the big wheels on and we'll also bring a jack and tools to swap to the factory wheels/tires to take people for rides to get an idea of how the sport suspension drives.

On Monday if the weather cooperates we are planning on going to the local test track, TMP, to compare OE suspenion to our suspension and doing a video with Speed Academy. It should be great if the weather holds up!

In other news our rear camber arms will finally be back in stock early next week.

@Lucky13 @gilscales - sorry to keep you guys waiting! We did see power reduction after a few laps on the track, but don't know yet what system is requesting the reduction of power. As @Zaphod mentioned, the Model S inverter tends to be the first item to overheat.

The Model 3 uses SiC switching technology which is significantly more efficient, so I doubt the inverter is the first thing to go thermal. We'll keep on working to see where the limits are, and then hopefully there is something that can be done about them.

I think 20 min sessions are on the long end of what you'd want to run - unless you are just doing recon / track learning. If you're really pushing, as we do, then I would say 12-15min is a good run time, not including out and in laps.

@pandam3 - The Model 3! It's so fun and such a different experience tracking an electric car. It won't be as fast as a M3 out of the box, but only due to power. I'm fully confident this car will match or beat an M3 on the same tires with suspension and brakes. I've spent many years racing against M3's so I have a pretty good idea of their capabilities :) The Model 3's low center of gravity honestly makes it feel like it's 600lbs lighter. Hopefully we can start pushing tracks to install DC Fast chargers, that's really what is needed.

That V8 sound is pretty fantastic though....

@Daniel in SD - Thanks! Those lap times are a little bit embarrassing for me - specifically the Lotus. It really should have done a 1:37. Unfortunately we only ran one session in the dry with the car and it was some horrible driving with horrible setup haha. The RE71R needs some significant setup changes compared to the Trofeo R I think. /endbenchracing

As for what's holding the car back now, the main one for us would be a bigger front wheel/tire. At least for the RE71R, the 245 isn't enough. If we can fit a 9.5" on there with a 265 I think that would be worth 0.5 seconds at least. After that, it's power. A diff would help a little bit based on the track, as the drive unit does manage power to the fastest rear tire. So it will not apply brake to catch a spinning inside rear like Porsche/BMW - it will just reduce power.

Can't speak to the stability control yet but we're working on something to hopefully make it easier for people to do as right now it's not something the average track day guy would be able to do. You do lose regen when it's shut off, so best to only have it off at the track.

How do you think Dual motor would fare on the track? Do you think it would be faster comparing to rwd? If tires and suspension were equal.

Also what kind of tendencies does the three have. I assume it's an understeer king but can it be dialed into rotate with throttle? I guess it just seems so foriegn to me but probably not that different than a ice car....

Super excited to get my car and take it to the track. Now whether or not to get d or rwd

@Lucky13 @gilscales - sorry to keep you guys waiting! We did see power reduction after a few laps on the track, but don't know yet what system is requesting the reduction of power. As @Zaphod mentioned, the Model S inverter tends to be the first item to overheat.

The Model 3 uses SiC switching technology which is significantly more efficient, so I doubt the inverter is the first thing to go thermal. We'll keep on working to see where the limits are, and then hopefully there is something that can be done about them.

I think 20 min sessions are on the long end of what you'd want to run - unless you are just doing recon / track learning. If you're really pushing, as we do, then I would say 12-15min is a good run time, not including out and in laps.

@pandam3 - The Model 3! It's so fun and such a different experience tracking an electric car. It won't be as fast as a M3 out of the box, but only due to power. I'm fully confident this car will match or beat an M3 on the same tires with suspension and brakes. I've spent many years racing against M3's so I have a pretty good idea of their capabilities :) The Model 3's low center of gravity honestly makes it feel like it's 600lbs lighter. Hopefully we can start pushing tracks to install DC Fast chargers, that's really what is needed.

That V8 sound is pretty fantastic though....

@Daniel in SD - Thanks! Those lap times are a little bit embarrassing for me - specifically the Lotus. It really should have done a 1:37. Unfortunately we only ran one session in the dry with the car and it was some horrible driving with horrible setup haha. The RE71R needs some significant setup changes compared to the Trofeo R I think. /endbenchracing

As for what's holding the car back now, the main one for us would be a bigger front wheel/tire. At least for the RE71R, the 245 isn't enough. If we can fit a 9.5" on there with a 265 I think that would be worth 0.5 seconds at least. After that, it's power. A diff would help a little bit based on the track, as the drive unit does manage power to the fastest rear tire. So it will not apply brake to catch a spinning inside rear like Porsche/BMW - it will just reduce power.

Can't speak to the stability control yet but we're working on something to hopefully make it easier for people to do as right now it's not something the average track day guy would be able to do. You do lose regen when it's shut off, so best to only have it off at the track.
Someone has put 9.5" wide wheels (ET38) with 265mm width tires on the front: Model 3 Aftermarket Wheel Fitment - NA only I plan on doing the same.
It's a shame that it looks like the P will still have 8.5" wheels. Tesla should hire you guys to help make a real performance Model 3 :)

How do you think Dual motor would fare on the track? Do you think it would be faster comparing to rwd? If tires and suspension were equal.
The regular AWD has a little more power which is good but if it has less power to the rear wheels it will most likely have horrible understeer. The extra weight doesn't help either. My guess is that regular AWD will be slightly slower than RWD.

The regular AWD has a little more power which is good but if it has less power to the rear wheels it will most likely have horrible understeer. The extra weight doesn't help either. My guess is that regular AWD will be slightly slower than rwd

I wonder what the total weight gain from the AWD setup would be. 200lbs? Also I assume power would be same to rear motor. I figured the front motor would just be for efficiency and the rear for speed. Makes me believe that on the track most of the time the car would behave like rwd which would make it silly to have AWD for tracking(not talking performance version here) as you would just be lugging around all that weight for nothing. I guess I will just b on the fence for a little while until we know more.