Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor MPP Model 3 vs Performance Model 3 On The Track!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MountainPass

Global Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Listings
A friend of ours just picked up a Performance Model 3 with the Performance Upgrade Package, so we invited him to the track to see how they stack up, and to also swap cars!

So I got to do a proper track test of the PM3, and our friend got to try our suspension and brakes on the track. It was super cool having two Model 3's on the track together, and they also happened to be the fastest cars on the track all day long! I don't think either car was ever passed :)

LR-Model-3-vs-Performance-Model-3.jpg

The Performance car has massive power and was lots of fun to drive - some neutral slides and a good bit of rear brake bias. I found the stability control to be far too intrusive, but I'm sure track mode will take care of that.

However, it did heat soak and reduce significant power well before our long-range car, so that suggests the front induction motor overheats faster - or it is the battery itself. Track mode should also help with battery cooling pre-session as far as we understand.

The video is a blast, we had 3 guys in each car and were running nose to tail for a number of laps. These are great track taxis! Enjoy, and please share if you like it!

It looks like it was great fun and the after session chat was interesting and all but there was a lot of inside baseball between the two drivers that others might not completely understand. Me for one.

A narrative explaining the relative skill level of the two drivers and how their skill levels and the differences between the two cars affected the outcomes of the two sessions would be very helpful. I found it curious that in the first session the Performance model was unable to pass the modified RWD but in the second session the stock Performance model easily stayed ahead of the modified RWD.

What is the whole story? What improvements to the MPP car kept it ahead of the stock Performance model in the first session and how did the Performance model overcome those improvements to best it in the second session?

Inquiring minds want to know.

So when are you coming out with the big radiator kit? :D
Would be interesting to look at coolant temperature to see if that's what's limiting it.
Do you have a way to log front and rear motor power?

I've thought about this, you might be able to add something in the frunk that ties into the plate chiller for the main coolant loop. The plate chiller is currently cooled via the AC compressor and I think that would be the limiting factor (though maybe its the plate chiller itself).

It looks like it was great fun and the after session chat was interesting and all but there was a lot of inside baseball between the two drivers that others might not completely understand. Me for one.

A narrative explaining the relative skill level of the two drivers and how their skill levels and the differences between the two cars affected the outcomes of the two sessions would be very helpful. I found it curious that in the first session the Performance model was unable to pass the modified RWD but in the second session the stock Performance model easily stayed ahead of the modified RWD.

What is the whole story? What improvements to the MPP car kept it ahead of the stock Performance model in the first session and how did the Performance model overcome those improvements to best it in the second session?

Inquiring minds want to know.
In the second half Sasha (MPP) is driving the P3D+ and he's a better driver.
The MPP car has better brake fluid and pads, wider stickier tires, coilovers, and camber arms.
He talks about lap times at the end of the video.

Yeah it was less about those 2 racing each other, more about those 2 drivers testing each others cars out. One being stock P3D+ the other MPP modified Model 3 RWD. Lap times at the very end.

I think what everybody really want to see is a MPP modified P3D, and see how it tracks compared to other cars in its class.

Last edited:
MPP P3D+ will definitely be happening.

Helmets - at most lapping days here in Ontario, helmets are only required if you are driving a convertible car. If you have multiple passengers, they must all be helmetless or helmeted together, in case of head-to-head contact. Sasha went out in the E63 AMG with 5 people in the car and came back with smoking brake pads, it was cool.

You're going to have a tough time finding an equal driver to Sasha, I'm not trying to inflate his ego but he holds the Unlimited RWD time attack record on that track. I would like to go head to head with him, with him in the MPP M3 and myself in an MPP PM3+, I think it would be a good match up.

-Jesse

A friend of ours just picked up a Performance Model 3 with the Performance Upgrade Package, so we invited him to the track to see how they stack up, and to also swap cars!

So I got to do a proper track test of the PM3, and our friend got to try our suspension and brakes on the track. It was super cool having two Model 3's on the track together, and they also happened to be the fastest cars on the track all day long! I don't think either car was ever passed :)

View attachment 342639

The Performance car has massive power and was lots of fun to drive - some neutral slides and a good bit of rear brake bias. I found the stability control to be far too intrusive, but I'm sure track mode will take care of that.

However, it did heat soak and reduce significant power well before our long-range car, so that suggests the front induction motor overheats faster - or it is the battery itself. Track mode should also help with battery cooling pre-session as far as we understand.

The video is a blast, we had 3 guys in each car and were running nose to tail for a number of laps. These are great track taxis! Enjoy, and please share if you like it!

Track Mode also does much more regen, which probably helps the battery degredation that happened before your LR RWD

Track Mode also does much more regen, which probably helps the battery degredation that happened before your LR RWD
The problem with regen is it generates more heat in the batteries, motors, and inverters. Sure, you'll save a little bit of energy but you'll overheat way sooner. It's a little disappointing that Tesla used the same cooling system in a car that can generate way more waste heat.

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
It's a little disappointing that Tesla used the same cooling system in a car that can generate way more waste heat.

Agreed, but i don't think they have the engineering bandwidth to support this type of feature at the moment, though hopefully we get something like that on future versions.

I still want to put a small dewer of LN2 in my frunk and connect it to the plate chiller, if the coolant temp gets a little too hot just flow some liquid nitrogen through it ;)

Reactions: mcbarnet007