Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP "Smash "Me" skid plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Working as animal rescue and using the Model 3 as an ambulance occasionally I'll leave it to you to picture what the car will go through. Following some stories of expensive coolant line/battery repairs after something punctured the under shield I got around to thinking about the Mountain Pass Performance "Smash Me" plate. Getting a shipping quote that decided for me I messaged the guys with the result that I bought one.
It took 28 minutes from last email to receive the shipping number and 2 days later it arrived! (I can't get royal mail to my house that quick - no really, we don't even have a postman, in Bromley). This caught me out as it was too cold/wet/windy/dark (delete as appropriate) to work underneath the car in the flats semi-underground, unlit car park so it sat around for a while. Well, not really as I decided to spray it with black bedliner so it blends in better (pro tip - do NOT do this in the bedroom if you want a quiet life).
Got round to fitting it at last and it went easy enough with a couple of things to mention -
Halfords 2.5T jacks do not fit under the car with pucks in the jacking points - neither do Draper 2T.
Summon WILL drive up onto leveling ramps to allow you to get jacks under the car
All the bolts had thread lock and really didn't want to come off. Still there was one missing
There are no instructions included but there were some on the website - take note of where the included spacers go before your under the car
You can use your head to loft the plate while you use your hands to fit the screws but there is probably an easier way
Fit of the plate is nice and flush for the most part although I will have to get under again for some fettling I didn't have time for, I don't see it having and effect on range, not had a chance to try noise levels yet but I don't see the original cover as doing much
I did take photos but - it's black, the underside of the car is black, it's a dark car park, you get the picture (or don't)

I would recommend the product to anyone concerned about the aero shield currently fitted, provided you have the means (or friendly garage) to fit it, your not going to be breaking this plate anytime soon.
Can't fault the guys at MPP comms was near instant, helpful and delivery was stunningly fast, will certainly be keeping an eye on them (rear plate?)
P.s. it was on ramps and the one jack locks. I was supervised the whole time too.
1616344272266.png

Last edited:
Working as animal rescue and using the Model 3 as an ambulance occasionally I'll leave it to you to picture what the car will go through. Following some stories of expensive coolant line/battery repairs after something punctured the under shield I got around to thinking about the Mountain Pass Performance "Smash Me" plate. Getting a shipping quote that decided for me I messaged the guys with the result that I bought one.
It took 28 minutes from last email to receive the shipping number and 2 days later it arrived! (I can't get royal mail to my house that quick - no really, we don't even have a postman, in Bromley). This caught me out as it was too cold/wet/windy/dark (delete as appropriate) to work underneath the car in the flats semi-underground, unlit car park so it sat around for a while. Well, not really as I decided to spray it with black bedliner so it blends in better (pro tip - do NOT do this in the bedroom if you want a quiet life).
Got round to fitting it at last and it went easy enough with a couple of things to mention -
Halfords 2.5T jacks do not fit under the car with pucks in the jacking points - neither do Draper 2T.
Summon WILL drive up onto leveling ramps to allow you to get jacks under the car
All the bolts had thread lock and really didn't want to come off. Still there was one missing
There are no instructions included but there were some on the website - take note of where the included spacers go before your under the car
You can use your head to loft the plate while you use your hands to fit the screws but there is probably an easier way
Fit of the plate is nice and flush for the most part although I will have to get under again for some fettling I didn't have time for, I don't see it having and effect on range, not had a chance to try noise levels yet but I don't see the original cover as doing much
I did take photos but - it's black, the underside of the car is black, it's a dark car park, you get the picture (or don't)

I would recommend the product to anyone concerned about the aero shield currently fitted, provided you have the means (or friendly garage) to fit it, your not going to be breaking this plate anytime soon.
Can't fault the guys at MPP comms was near instant, helpful and delivery was stunningly fast, will certainly be keeping an eye on them (rear plate?)
P.s. it was on ramps and the one jack locks. I was supervised the whole time too.
View attachment 646635
Damn. I wish I'd have known as we could have split the shipping between us. I have the MPP Lift Kit owing to a mountain road I have to negotiate to get to my Catalan retreat. As advertised, it costs me about 10pc in range. OMG instead of £60 in Supercharger fees to get to Spain, it costs me £66! o_O I have nothing but praise for the MPP guys and their gear.

In an abundance of caution I keep a Subaru Forester in Girona for really gnarly trips in the muddy season. It's a drag to-ing and fro-ing for MOTs... I might get this and try a one-car solution.

Vis a vis the use of supports for a jacked up car. I knew a BMW owner that was crushed under his unsupported car. Yeah, BMW owners... but still.

I need some advice please...
I don't have any heavy duty jacks or ramps. What would be an economical way to raise the car off all its wheels and put axel stands on? Or just the front or rear axel if that is too costly.

I need some advice please...
I don't have any heavy duty jacks or rams. What would be an economical way to raise the car off all its wheels and put axel stands on? Or just the front or rear axel if that is too costly.

A floor jack of 2T capacity (two if you are flush), some ramps "cheese wedges" available on Amazon, and a set of pucks... will get it in the air. But keeping it here requires jack stands while you are hammering on it or removing the wheel nuts...

Reactions: TM88
Thank you @M3noob. Are there any recommendations for jacks as @Traguar said "Halfords 2.5T jacks do not fit under the car with pucks in the jacking points - neither do Draper 2T."
Where do I put the axel stand when the jack point is being used to lift the car? I've seen a modified axel stand with a jacking point on it, but seems quite expensive and would like to know if it's possible to do it more economically, but still safe.

Last edited:
..depends how often you plan on being under there? Out here rurally a local garage would lift it for you and do the job cheaper than the kit costs. It may well be worth a drive out of the city if you know of such. Or perhaps time to dig a nice deep pond in the front garden to park over....

Thank you @M3noob. Are there any recommendations for jacks as @Traguar said "Halfords 2.5T jacks do not fit under the car with pucks in the jacking points - neither do Draper 2T."
Where do I put the axel stand when the jack point is being used to lift the car? I've seen a modified axel stand with a jacking point on it, but seems quite expensive and would like to know if it's possible to do it more economically, but still safe.

You are right - those jack stands are way more dear than can be believed (afforded?) I suspect that product liability insurance and low production volume are to blame. Home brew solution? Jack it up with a 4 x 2 under the puck that sticks out enough to get a jack stand under each end? YMMV as does the quality of B&Q 4x2s.

Alternatively get some ramps that are taller than the cheese wedge plastic ramps that I carry in the lower boot for flat tyre emergencies.

Race ramps are great for getting one end off the ground as long as you don't need to remove the wheels.

Reactions: TM88 and Medved_77
Race ramps are great for getting one end off the ground as long as you don't need to remove the wheels.

Also a great solution if you already own a trolley jack that doesn't quite fit under the car. Drive onto these for a bit more elevation.

My solution (1st time) was to drive up on some caravan levelling ramps I had (using summon!!) then a trolley jack on either side - left ramps in place just in case.
If people cleverer than me would like to look at the draper series of locking jacks, the one I used has a mechanical lock which looks like it would need several things to fail for it to be catastrophic but I'm no expert.
I bought a lightweight scissor jack I can keep in the car that will raise the car enough when used on the rear jack points - the front also lifts enough to get a trolley jack under it.
Always have some way of creating a survival space underneath if something fails

Just a FYI, Halfords do a 2T low profile jack that works just fine. Enough space for a puck and a piece of 2x4 between the jack pad and the car. £50. They also do a 3T version, if you’re really paranoid, though unless you’re planning on lifting the entire car with one jack, the 2T version is plenty.

Thank you all for your insightful advice and sharing your experiences - very much appreciated. I'm planning on doing tyre rotation and brake fluid change when the time comes, but probably awhile in the future. I will be keeping an eye out for any promotions/sales/discounts on the tools required.

A heads up, if you are an AA roadside member, you get 10% off at Halfords (in person) in addition to any price match you may find elsewhere. If buying online for click and collect/store delivery, defer the payment to in store when collecting and store staff should honour the online price and give the 10% discount and any price match. Unfortunately online for home delivery appears not to qualify that I can see or experienced, but click and collect with payment in store has always worked fine even if not being promoted and needing a cashier/click and collect person who may be a bit more savvy than an occasional member of staff