Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP Sport Coil-Overs. Pending install. Questions about settings.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Hi all,

Looks like I'm finally getting the MPP Sport Coilovers installed on my 2021 P3 this week. Currently the car has the stock Ubers with Winter tires. Not sure if I'm changing rubber or the whole deal for Summer.

Anyway. I have a few questions and my searches came up empty.

My car is primarily a daily driver. I may or may not finally get to a track or AutoX with it this Summer. My primary goal is to increase handing feel/fun/enjoyment. I'm also installing MPP lower control arms.

1. How much does the car get lowered by the coilovers using the MPP suggested settings? Anyone have a photo? Is it "easy" to adjust once they're installed. I've read about adjusting other settings but not about changing the height. Do people suggest lowering it any further? I don't want to mess too much with the suspension geometry where I need to buy a bunch of other stuff to make it right.

2. If I go with new wheels would I be able to fit that staggered 9" front and 10.5" rear wheel/tire setup with the new suspension/height?

3. Do I go with the suggested rebound/compression settings or should I make them slightly more aggressive? I live in NY and NH. The roads are mostly good but some are a mess.

4. Anything I'm not asking that I should consider?

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

Have you reached out to your MPP dealer or MPP for suggestions? They are your best source for information you are seeking. Just keep in mind that once lowered beyond 1" you will likely need rear camber arms and perhaps even AFUA to correct the excessive negative camber.

9 & 10.5 staggered should fit without a problem as long as you have the offset and tire width correct.

Suggested is always a good starting point. There is not one correct setting when it comes to damping. Adjust up or down until it feels the best to you. Between compression and rebound, it's a big balancing act. More is not always better.

Does anyone know of good resource about what to look for when changing rebound/compression settings, as in what are the effects of each setting. I know this is kinda vague, but being in the same situation as OP I'm also wondering once I have the original setup, what if any should be the next steps.

Does anyone know of good resource about what to look for when changing rebound/compression settings, as in what are the effects of each setting. I know this is kinda vague, but being in the same situation as OP I'm also wondering once I have the original setup, what if any should be the next steps.
Use the info below as a base.

Reactions: kimi
Hi all,

Looks like I'm finally getting the MPP Sport Coilovers installed on my 2021 P3 this week. Currently the car has the stock Ubers with Winter tires. Not sure if I'm changing rubber or the whole deal for Summer.

My car is primarily a daily driver. I may or may not finally get to a track or AutoX with it this Summer. My primary goal is to increase handing feel/fun/enjoyment. I'm also installing MPP lower control arms.

1. How much does the car get lowered by the coilovers using the MPP suggested settings? Anyone have a photo? Is it "easy" to adjust once they're installed. I've read about adjusting other settings but not about changing the height. Do people suggest lowering it any further? I don't want to mess too much with the suspension geometry where I need to buy a bunch of other stuff to make it right.

2. If I go with new wheels would I be able to fit that staggered 9" front and 10.5" rear wheel/tire setup with the new suspension/height?

3. Do I go with the suggested rebound/compression settings or should I make them slightly more aggressive? I live in NY and NH. The roads are mostly good but some are a mess.

Thank you!

Best,
Gene
That's exciting!

1. The initial settings for the Sport kit would lower your car by 35mm (~1.4"). Adjusting isn't hard, you just need to remove the wheel from whichever corner you want to adjust. That being said, large changes in ride height will require an alignment since both the camber and toe are sensitive to ride height.

2. That would fit, we were running 10.5" wheels square on our car in Europe. You may need a little camber in the rear depending on how wide the tires are.

3. I would always suggest starting with the settings in the instructions then adjusting to taste. If you have some bad roads you may prefer to have them set softer, at least during the winter!

4. If you want to email us for alignment settings based on your driving style or track use, we would be happy to help in that department as well.

Here are the initial settings from the instructions for reference in case anyone else is wondering:

Sports Coilovers AWD – Initial Setup:

FRONT:

FRONT SPRING PERCH OFFSET: START AT 70mm
FRONT COMPRESSION: 12 (Clicks open from full stiff)
FRONT REBOUND: 10 (Clicks open from full stiff)
FRONT RIDE HEIGHT: 354mm (Hub to Fender)
FRONT BATTERY HEIGHT: 110mm (Using OEM 18″ wheels and tires)

REAR:

REAR SPRING PERCH OFFSET: 18mm (this is the gap between the bottom of the spring perch and the top of the body – see photo)
REAR COMPRESSION: 12 (Clicks open from full stiff)
REAR REBOUND: 10 (Clicks open from full stiff)
REAR RIDE HEIGHT: 359mm (Hub to Fender)
REAR BATTERY HEIGHT: 111mm (Using OEM 18″ wheels and tires)

Just in case you need a little refresher on how to adjust the dampers:

Congrats on getting them installed! You’ll love it.

This is my car at recommended height settings

26E93FAD-9682-4D9A-8ACD-0573AE3D132C.jpeg

Hi all,

Thank you!

Best,
Gene
Update? Have you liked the coilovers?

Update? Have you liked the coilovers?
I have about 1,000 miles on my MPP sports on my 2019 LR. I live in michigan with some pretty terrible roads so I was initially a little nervous going for the sports.

I set everything to the suggested settings. Ride quality is slightly firmer over abrupt bumps but overall smoothness especially at higher speeds is actually better. I have owned a dozen or so vehicles with coilovers and the MPP sports have impressed me the most. Handling and balance of the car is amazing. A couple days following the coilovers I installed 18x9.5 gram lights and 265/40 micheling psas4's.

Below is a pic for reference of height at suggested settings.
20220607_093954-01.jpeg

I have about 1,000 miles on my MPP sports on my 2019 LR. I live in michigan with some pretty terrible roads so I was initially a little nervous going for the sports.

I set everything to the suggested settings. Ride quality is slightly firmer over abrupt bumps but overall smoothness especially at higher speeds is actually better. I have owned a dozen or so vehicles with coilovers and the MPP sports have impressed me the most. Handling and balance of the car is amazing. A couple days following the coilovers I installed 18x9.5 gram lights and 265/40 micheling psas4's.

View attachment 817648
The other dozen of vehicles you have owned with coilovers, what are they? That way we know the basis for the comparison.

View attachment 817648
That's awesome, thanks for sharing your experience here! Your wheel and tire setup looks great as well.

• Love
Reactions: Krobbler
The other dozen of vehicles you have owned with coilovers, what are they? That way we know the basis for the comparison.

During my subaru and vw years I was pretty heavy into autox and tracked a fair amount. My gauge now as far as feeling and balance is more street use since I haven't been on a track in 10 years.

Below are the most notable cars I had with a decent amount of suspension mods beyond just springs. Some would punch you in the kidneys every drive and others were geared more towards street use.

bugeye wrx w/ HKS Hipermax IV
Forester XT w/ Bilstein PSS9
S13 240sx w/ JIC FLT-A2 (8k/6k rates) and HKS coilover (dont remember which model)
MKV GTI w/ eibach coilovers (rebranded kwv1)
MKVI GLI w/ H&R street performance coilovers
MKIV GTI w/ KWV2 and H&R Clubsport
MK2 GTI w/ H&R ultra and Bilstein spring/shock kit
Mazda MP3 w/ d2 coilovers (😬 young and dumb terrible coilovers)

Last edited:
Reactions: Theraven

View attachment 817648
Have you by chance changed the rebound/compression settings from MPP recommended settings? I live in Michigan too and was trying to get a guage of different settings I should try. Just installed them this weekend

View attachment 817648
Mind if I ask if you've changed the settings for rebound/compression from the MPP recommended settings? I live in Michigan too and just installed them and wanted to know if you tried to make the humps feel any better lol