Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP vs Redwood Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, everyone. I’m very encouraged by all the great feedback/experience with these coilovers. Can’t wait until the kit is delivered and installed! Aesthetically, I’m thinking 1 to 1.5” would be the limit that I’d want to lower the vehicle. I’ve never been a fan of vehicles that have been lowered to the point where the top of the tire disappears into the upper wheel arch. Of course, absolutely nothing wrong with that look for those who like it. Just not for me. :)

Thanks, everyone. I’m very encouraged by all the great feedback/experience with these coilovers. Can’t wait until the kit is delivered and installed! Aesthetically, I’m thinking 1 to 1.5” would be the limit that I’d want to lower the vehicle. I’ve never been a fan of vehicles that have been lowered to the point where the top of the tire disappears into the upper wheel arch. Of course, absolutely nothing wrong with that look for those who like it. Just not for me. :)
The lower you go the more you will need another kit to adjust the alignment as stock has minimal adjustment. You can adjust out about 1/2 inch drop with stock arms IMO.

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
You don't need toe arms unless you go for more camber via camber arms.

When I asked MPP what other components are typically recommended/ordered with coilovers, they told me Adjustable Rear Camber and Toe Arms. They said when a vehicle is lowered, the rear tires can wear unevenly. So apparently, the adjustable rear camber and toe arms addresses/fixes this issue. I must admit, I do not know if this is completely true, but trust MPP’s advice. So, I ordered their adjustable rear camber and toe arms with the comfort adjustable kit.

Hope I made the right choice...

When I asked MPP what other components are typically recommended/ordered with coilovers, they told me Adjustable Rear Camber and Toe Arms. They said when a vehicle is lowered, the rear tires can wear unevenly. So apparently, the adjustable rear camber and toe arms addresses/fixes this issue. I must admit, I do not know if this is completely true, but trust MPP’s advice. So, I ordered their adjustable rear camber and toe arms with the comfort adjustable kit.

Hope I made the right choice...

You did. Here are tires a few months after lowering 1 inch with no alignment adjustments.
20200225_130729.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood and zhu-
I'm currently lowered about 30mm, and stock toe adjustment worked just fine.
I will be buying rear toe/camber arms once I manage to get front camber closer to 3 degrees, so that I'd be okay to dial more camber in the rear. As is, toe arms aren't necessary.

Alignment after lowering is obviously necessary.

Reactions: Vines
I love the MPP camber and toe arms. They are first rate quality. Much nicer than stock. I also think lowering the Model 3 (non P) one inch lower is the perfect height for the ride, comfort and safe distance from nasty scrapes from speed bumps etc.. Closer to 1.5 inches or more is asking for trouble IMO. Here is a picture with both arms installed. Redwoods arms look great too, but they were a bit more money last time I checked.

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 184
  • Informative
Reactions: paranoidroid
and now one more option to throw into the mix for comparison... the factory Ohlins Sweden 'Road & Track' Kit....

Available for Pre-Order at Redwood Motorsports. Ohlins 'Road & Track' DFV coilovers for Model 3 / Model Y. Model 3 Öhlins - Standard 'Road & Track' Kit AND Model Y Öhlins - Standard 'Road & Track' Kit for more information!

Information about the official Ohlins release including specs, additional discussion and RWMS accesories/options in the following thread:

This is the more affordable entry level Ohlins kit manufactured by Ohlins Sweden... lower initial price point (though much higher spring rates, cheaper steel front forks, a more agressive Street/Track focus. We will be offering all of our Redwood Ohlins DFV upgrades along with the standard kits (billet front forks, bump stop limiters, billet remote adjusters, floating top hats etc.). We are still full swing on all custom Redwood Ohlins DFV kits, but this is a nice affordable option to be more price competitive with the KW and other offerings. Bang for buck a really great value!

TESMU00S1_Front_720x.jpg