Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MPP vs Redwood Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, Jesse. I’m getting excited thinking about how differently my ride will look (& hopefully feel) once I receive and have your updated Comfort Adjustable Coilover kit installed.

Also, I think there may be a general misconception that adjustability is the only difference between your standard (non-adjustable) Comforts and the newer Comfort Adjustable. As you said on the phone, the updated Comfort Adjustable kit uses different components than the standard Comforts. It is not clear if better corrosion resistance and better quality are the only differences. Some of those differences may already be identified on your website. However, perhaps you can identify/summarize them here, so prospective buyers are more aware.

Reactions: bcpm3p
Would really like a review on MPP adjustable comfort coils!
If you search, you will see great reviews on here somewhere (I don't remember where I saw them). FWIW, I have the sport coilovers, and find the 10/12 adjustment super smooth and they have the stiffer springs. If you went 12/14, I can't image it would not feel soft (Lexus like), if not too soft (Cadillac like). I find the 10/12 adjustment better than stock (I have PUP), but way more compliant over bumps and pot holes. Must have more travel or something. Not harsh at all, so with that, the adjustable comfort coilovers will do the trick IMO.

I have the MPP Hybrid setup. When I drive my familiar commute to work I am just amazed at how the the MPP Hybrid system is able to smooth out the bumps so much better then the stock dampers. I used to try and avoid about 4 different bumps knowing how hard they felt and upset my ride. The stock dampers were just too stiff for many streets on my daily drive. Now it is fun to travel the same path and not care about swerving around them. I haven't had the Hybrids on very long, but the ride and handling are clear upgrades from stock. It's truly a win win. I wonder how much more comfortable the new MPP adjustable dampers are. They must be super smooth. The main advantage of sticking with the hybrids I own would be the easy swap of springs to performance springs if I truly wanted to track my 3 because the dampers are performance ones. I probably never will track though. But to everyone who is ordering the comfort adjustable dampers looking for a smoother ride than stock, my belief is that you will be truly amazed at the transformation in ride quality. You will definitely have a smile on your face. Can't wait to hear the reviews as well on them.

• Love
Reactions: MountainPass
See explanation below from MPP...
Exactly. The hybrid setup was a product you could get from MPP that combined their performance or sports dampers with the softer coils used on the original comfort kit. I remember discussing with Jesse from MPP many times about how I wanted to improve my AWD Model 3 non-P ride. Some people like the stock ride as is and some believe it's too stiff for daily driving. My 3 is my daily driver and my commute is about 40 minutes each way. I purchased my 3 because I was blown away when I test drove my friends. However, the excitement and amazement with a 'first time' drive masks the long term use and minor disappointment after ownership when it comes to commuting. Needless to say I absolutely love this car and will be keeping it for a long time. But the stock stiffness was an issue with bad streets, potholes and bumps. Very unsettling at times would be accurate. Two times I thought my tire most have blown with the hit I felt. It was very nasty. A few months ago Jesse pretty much assured me that the hybrid system would transform the cars ride. He was totally accurate and the MPP folk appear to be the best at customer service and straight shooters. So I ordered the Hybrid kit and found out exactly what Jesse was saying. One other thing. When my order was being built I discovered the Redwood/Ohlins coilover thread and almost cancelled my order for the Redwood Touring coilovers. Jesse didn't even hesitate to offer a full refund if I wanted to cancel. Just very straight up over at MPP. I have nothing bad at all to say about Redwood. Just stating that MPPs products are the real deal and their customer service is far better than anyone I have ever dealt with before.

Thanks for the additional feedback, zman. Good to hear you’ve had such a positive experience with MPP’s products and customer service. The roads in my area are pretty good/smooth. So, I feel the stock suspension (with stock 19’s) is actually quite comfortable as is for my daily street use. I’m not really expecting to notice any difference in ride feel or quality when I receive & install MPP’s latest Comfort Adjustable kit, unless/until I take my M3 on some twisty roads or to the track.

The main goal for me is to lower the vehicle without making the ride more firm/harsh. Certainly could have gone a much less expensive route than coilovers. However, I want to do it “right” with lowering the vehicle, so decided to go all out!

I’m always I bit skeptical when I hear people say how much coilovers transform their rides. To be clear, I certainly do not doubt anyone who says they notice/feel a difference. I just don’t think I will under normal driving situations. Perhaps these coilovers will exceed my expectations and I’ll be able to notice a difference even during normal/routine street use. We shall see... in about 7 weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcpm3p
Thanks for the additional feedback, zman. Good to hear you’ve had such a positive experience with MPP’s products and customer service. The roads in my area are pretty good/smooth. So, I feel the stock suspension (with stock 19’s) is actually quite comfortable as is for my daily street use. I’m not really expecting to notice any difference in ride feel or quality when I receive & install MPP’s latest Comfort Adjustable kit, unless/until I take my M3 on some twisty roads or to the track.

The main goal for me is to lower the vehicle without making the ride more firm/harsh. Certainly could have gone a much less expensive route than coilovers. However, I want to do it “right” with lowering the vehicle, so decided to go all out!

I’m always I bit skeptical when I hear people say how much coilovers transform their rides. To be clear, I certainly do not doubt anyone who says they notice/feel a difference. I just don’t think I will under normal driving situations. Perhaps these coilovers will exceed my expectations and I’ll be able to notice a difference even during normal/routine street use. We shall see... in about 7 weeks.
GreenHokie you sound like me about a year ago in doubting what coilovers can do. I had been lurking on sites like this for a while. I researched UPPs springs, their coilovers and of course MPPs and Redwoods a little bit. Once I heard about the Hybrids I felt like taking a chance. Glad my experience helps you a little bit in what to expect. I have no doubt lowering your car will NOT make the car ride any stiffer with the Comfort Adjustable kit. You will notice no drawbacks as I have read can occur if you had went with lowering springs only.

You're going to love it, trust me i'm a Hokie too ;)

When i first picked up my Model 3 with coilovers, i could immediately feel the difference just when on the highway and changing lanes (but they were pretty stiff). I'd bet you can feel the difference pretty quickly and you are going to be very happy!