Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MR and AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When demand for LR/AWD wanes. Only Tesla knows the current order trends.
This is correct. They "programming" would change on the car so that it only utilized the peak power it has in the MR pack. Otherwise the only other difference is changing out the line to produce a drivetrain pack that has the less batteries.

When MR RWD goes down in sales, then MR AWD + SR RWD will hit to fill the gap, at the same profit margin combined, with higher volume sales @ 7-8k per week production. I expect this in about 4 months time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no technical limitations to produce MR with AWD option? Is it to not canibilize LR AWD? Any info or guess when that option could be expected?

You are correct!

What would be smart for Tesla, is to just build RWD and AWD cars with different battery configurations!

The AWD and RWD motors would be performance capable and the same ones that are used on the performance version.

They could then use software limitations to determine if it will be a performance vehicle or not!

You would want as little hardware differences as possible, and make any changes with software!

One good thing for this would be if you decided to purchase a LR AWD vehicle now, but you didn't have the extra money for the performance version at the time, then sometime later down the road, you could pay a fee and get the faster 0-60 times!

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no technical limitations to produce MR with AWD option? Is it to not canibilize LR AWD? Any info or guess when that option could be expected?
Incorrect. The AWD uses 11 percent more electricity per mile than RWD. The AWD MR would have a rated range of ~230 miles. That definitely doesn’t make a very compelling argument to spend $4k for AWD.

Not saying it’s impossible.. but I think it’s highly unlikely if you ask me (and who would buy such a car when you could get the 310 mile LR AWD for $3k more)

The AWD and RWD motors would be performance capable and the same ones that are used on the performance version.

They could then use software limitations to determine if it will be a performance vehicle or not!

That's already what they did across all the LR models. Go check the parts catalog. It's the exact same rear drive unit in all LR model 3s. It's the exact same front drive unit in all LR AWD model 3s

The MR on the other hand got the motor and some electric/wiring bits that are eventually intended for the SR model. (which would explain in part why the 0-60 is identical to the SR)

Reactions: RScottyL
Incorrect. The AWD uses 11 percent more electricity per mile than RWD. The AWD MR would have a rated range of ~230 miles. That definitely doesn’t make a very compelling argument to spend $4k for AWD.
If it is the AWD that you really want, it adds a step down from 310mi without going all the way to SR. In this case choice alternatively becomes 235mi** vs 215mi of the SR at a cost of +$5,000.

Given that it's likely for people to be getting AWD for snow reasons, range could indeed be a concern.

** 11% seems on the high side of range diff given the gap between LR RWD and LR AWD? Also, they are listing the SR RWD as only 5mi further than the AWD LR. Hard to say yet how much they've padded/sandbagged particular ranges but chopping 30mi off of MR AWD like that seems a dodgy call. I'd actually be inclined to guess it'll come in more like 240mi - 245mi but we'll see.

You've got to look at this from a production line perspective. The ONLY reason why I believe that we have a MR is that the LR RWD line was over producing sales. So, to increase sales, they dropped some batteries from the pack. No retooling needed.
The AWD lines are still trying to catch up with demand, so no need to use the smaller battery.