Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MR Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got off the phone with my delivery person here in CA. I'm waiting for a white/white MR, and have been for over 8 days. When I speak to my delivery rep about some sort of discount or consideration for the lack of inventory (when I was promised a 1-2 week delivery), I am basically just stonewalled. He insists that they "never" give upgrades on batteries, but may do an upgrade on paint or wheels if they find a car that otherwise closely matches your config. Basically, throughout our 15 minute conversation, he continually tried to throw black (or gray) vehicles at me, mostly with black interiors and NO upgrades (No AutoPilot, no 19" wheels, no LR, nothing.) He said "Well, if you want a car within a week or two, you might have to take black." I'm not having a black car. No way. Been there. NEVER again. Also, there is apparently only ONE CAR with a white interior in all of CA, NV, and AZ, and it is a black MR sitting in Las Vegas. No thanks. These stories of people getting these sweet upgrades (such as the guy on Youtube who got free enhanced AP and 19" wheels) seem to be creating a lot of frustration in the rest of us who are hitting a wall when we speak to our rep. He commented: "Well, obviously Tesla can't just offer upgrades to everyone whose order they can't immediately fill." was like a mantra he kept going back to.

I'm having second thoughts about this because I just can't understand why they let people order MR's, then apparently cut off both the option to order them AND the production of them. I've been pursuing this for over a week now, and, from what I'm being told not a single MR has hit the ground in the western region in over 2 weeks. I'm trying to have faith that they're going to produce enough to fill existing orders, but I'm starting to wonder if we're all just caught in a game of attrition, wherein, through extended waiting, we eventually cave in to shelling out an additional 3-5 grand to upgrade and stop the pain of waiting.

Interesting about the white interior.

I ordered Black/Black/19"/AP and I keep getting paired with white interiors. 3 different black exterior with white interior, and then yesterday was asked if I'd be interested in blue with the white interior.

How do you know when you’ve been “paired” with a car and what car it is? Do they notify you or does it just show up in your account? Not really sure how all of this works.

I ordered a MR black/white/18 last week.

How do you know when you’ve been “paired” with a car and what car it is? Do they notify you or does it just show up in your account? Not really sure how all of this works.

I was emailed or texted of an expected delivery for the specific car. You can also check your Tesla account for a loan application with the VIN on it when you're paired.

Usually emailed and/or texted. A representative reached out to me several times because of available configurations that were close to what I ordered to see if I would want to be "paired" with those cars.

Please update the forum so that people like us who are in the same boat know what's possible. I tried asking for discount or upgrade to FSD (I already paid for AP) due to 2018 model, but was flatly denied.
Called today and they said I can either go SR+ or wait. I can wait for either the bosses to allow a deal on a LR, wait for a match through the VIN system, or wait for some other magic.

Reactions: InParadise
I called the Fremont delivery center go get an update. I was told the white interior is not in production and hasn’t been in some time. I don’t think it’s a priority for them and I think it explains the long waits. I’m not sure if they will make them in a big batch or we aren’t getting cars for a long time.

FWIW I placed an order for an inventory LEMR black/black/aero/AP (located at the gigafactory when I ordered it) on Sunday night 3/17, and I received an appointment for delivery here in CO Tuesday 3/26. I expected it to move pretty fast since the car was already built, but it moved even quicker than I expected. I received the VIN and details in my account this morning, and everything lines up as expected. It's a Fremont manufactured car FWIW, so I'm not sure if it really is located at the gigafactory or not. I don't really care where it's coming from as long as it looks ok when it gets here.

I just got a call & email from someone with the email signature "Regional Sales Advisor, North American Sales". He said they're not going to make any more mid-range vehicles. He said I can either upgrade to LR or downgrade to SR/SR+. I told him I want the premium interior features so lets upgrade. He said I'd have to pay the difference of $3k, but he'd upgrade my wheels to 19". Then he said he'd upgrade the color to something like Red if I wanted. Not sure if those two offers stack or if he was just fishing around for something I'd bite. He said they can't do any Autopilot upgrades (I ordered without). I told him I'd rather get no extra features and instead get free upgrade to LR. He said they can't do that. Then I asked for us to split the upgrade in half (the same price as the wheel upgrade). He said he'd ask and get back to me. I'm not optimistic. I'm in no hurry, but he has end of quarter fast approaching. So I'll wait him out. I think I can stand strong on the fact that I ordered a MR for the premium interior and should get a MR with the premium interior. If they need to put me in a LR to get me the interior, then that's on them.

Reactions: InParadise
I just got a call & email from someone with the email signature "Regional Sales Advisor, North American Sales". He said they're not going to make any more mid-range vehicles. He said I can either upgrade to LR or downgrade to SR/SR+. I told him I want the premium interior features so lets upgrade. He said I'd have to pay the difference of $3k, but he'd upgrade my wheels to 19". Then he said he'd upgrade the color to something like Red if I wanted. Not sure if those two offers stack or if he was just fishing around for something I'd bite. He said they can't do any Autopilot upgrades (I ordered without). I told him I'd rather get no extra features and instead get free upgrade to LR. He said they can't do that. Then I asked for us to split the upgrade in half (the same price as the wheel upgrade). He said he'd ask and get back to me. I'm not optimistic. I'm in no hurry, but he has end of quarter fast approaching. So I'll wait him out. I think I can stand strong on the fact that I ordered a MR for the premium interior and should get a MR with the premium interior. If they need to put me in a LR to get me the interior, then that's on them.

Absolutely agree with this. I will keep the same stand, don't mind waiting. Either it's a 2019 MR Blue/Black/AP as ordered or give me something higher. I did not go for SR+ for the lack of premium interiors, I don't mind lower mileage.

My MR MSM/black/19" is the same price as a base LR, I hope to get a call like yours. Thanks for sharing!!

And I wouldn't even want the 19" wheels or a different color. That's garbage that they wont budge on the price. They better do me better than that for waiting 6 weeks.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Got a call about my existing order and was told they're no longer making MR's. I was offered an upgrade to LR for 3K, but my paint choice (white - $2000) is now comped. Basically, this means I am getting the MR car I ordered as a LR for $1,000 extra. I'm happy with this. 325 miles vs 260 for an additional grand? Oh yes.

This!!! Did they make you cancel your order and place a new one?

Last edited: